free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 43 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
27 minutes ago, hedgerley said:

You beat me to it. Any excuse, any thread, however tenuous the link, I post links to the Bahar Elite concept and, I believe, a market Lotus should address seriously i.e. me in a few years when my knees and hips have gone and I can't cope with the Esprit anymore...... 

It would have been a great car 👍 I can't help but think Aston copied it a bit with the DB11

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 19.57.24.png

Very nice showroom some very unique eye catching colour schemes .   Fingers crossed the new location could also stir a re entry in F1 at some point maybe

Did not know Geely owned Daimler, just had to look up what products they do after a 9 billion purchase lol.  Quite a decent portfolio they own, obviously Lotus been the best purchase in my eyes.  They certainly have the cash flow to take Lotus to the next level,  I  just do not like the idea of  Lotus having an SUV  but well understand the sales stratergy from their perspective. 

Fingers crossed we see some fat tyres on the F1 grid with a Lotus badge on it soon in Abu Dabi  :thumbup:

A

Uh Geely doesn't own Daimler, Geely's Chairman Li Shifu owns a 10% share that makes him the biggest single shareholder into the company.

And I'd personally beg them to steer clear from F1 for as long as F1 doesn't have their shit figured out.  A return to motorsport should be a sensible affair,  ACO or FIA/SRO GT is the way to go, LMP1 would be a natural fit to display their incoming hybrid tech, FE would be ok if they find a team partner to display their EV tech. F1 has no idea where they are going.

Ah misread the page you listed it reads 9 billion stakehold in Daimler  ?   Li Shifu must be a very wealthy chap indeed :)

A

On 24/09/2018 at 06:38, silverfrost said:

Did not know Geely owned Daimler, just had to look up what products they do after a 9 billion purchase lol.

They own just about 10% of Daimler I believe, not the whole company.  That 9bn was the cost of the 10% stake.

Agree re no return to F1, Formula E - well, I've only watched one race and was so underwhelmed not been back since.  WEC and the LeMans series absolutely - LMP, GT2/3/4 etc woo hoo. I'll be watching and supporting....

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

OHHH I would love to see Lotus back in motorsport!  I know they have their roots in F1 but these days I associate them with sports car racing so would prefer to see them in a GT* series not F1.

So the Geely Borui has a 3.5 litre engine (276bhp) and they also offer it with a 7 speed DCT. Interesting.

Edited by Nathan Pitman

I guess its not bad.  But isn't the 2GR-FE getting on for over 8 years old now?  How old is the Geely V6 engine?  There must have been some advances in engine tech (apart from better turbos) that means a new V6 engine can push out more (not that any one is silly enough to launch a new naturally aspirated engine  these days).  Or have we learnt everything there is to NA engines and the only advancement is with forced induction systems?

If you’ve ever been to Mercedes Benz world in Weybridge, a Lotus equivalent that is free would be a great day out and a neat way to build awareness of the brand with a younger audience. 

3 hours ago, KAS-118 said:

I like the plan a lot but it does remind me of another plan very similar from not that long ago - DB fanboys show yourselves - albeit this is sold in a much more cohesive manner and with more water... It looks like the historical  control tower is going to get a make over while the Lotus Motorsport building is going to be deconstructed to make room for the new customer experience centre? The place is going to feel greener and a lot more "corporate"...  Making factories more scenic has been a trend in the industrie  for a while, McLaren, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and Ferrari have turned their headquarters in "theatres", there was no reason for Lotus not to follow the same path, especially when it was to follow that same path during the DB short lived tenure.

Now, since the Motorsport building is set for demolition it seems and the new CEO wants Lotus to go back to motorsport and certainly got the go ahead from the highers up at Geely in order to do so... Where will they run that project from? 

Hey cool kids who are going to the 70th... If there are scale models of the campus on display tomorrow could you please be so kind to take pics and post them here for poor little (not old yet) me, it would be much appreciated.

Architecture by Feilden+Mawson LLP

lotus-reveals-plans-for-overhauled-hethe

Sensible architecture I'd say, stylish and not too ostentatious and the new structure are probably going to be built mostly offsite to obtain a  a very quick delivery and minimal inconvenience to staff. 

Just read the piece announcing the development plans for Hethel. Excellent news!! Bravo to the new owner group for such vision, bravo to the faithful staff and alumni whose proven expertise and dedication to a brilliant heritage assures nothing less than resounding success. Thank you one and all.
Looking forward to my next visit to Hethel!
Steve