free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 45 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

On 22/10/2018 at 01:08, NedaSay said:

They would be looking at getting 500 bhp from this thing a 4cyl possibly hybridized pushing 500bhp in a Chinese-Swedish sedan...  If it gets that powertrain the next exige may be a thing for maniacs.

Looks like Cyan racing is going to be the new Polestar of Geely Group Motorsport.

Except such a heavy powertrain has no place in a lightweight sportscar. It's probably over 150 kg on top of the ICE

Edited by Sport220

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Possibly because the weight is so low down it doesn't effect the handling as much?

What are the reviews like on these new crop of electric track cars? Rimac and the others sorry cant remember their names but I think there are few available these days? I've only seen the Rimac on The Grand Tour etc so not a decent in depth review but I don't think Hamond was complaining that it felt heavy and couldn't handle corners.

Edit - I totally forgot to take account of the ICE!  Yep EV system only, you could probably hide the weight as its low down but ICE + EV system yep that could a bit heavy. 

Edited by electro_boy

55 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

I've only seen the Rimac on The Grand Tour etc so not a decent in depth review but I don't think Hamond was complaining that it felt heavy and couldn't handle corners.

He was probably too busy praying!

Vubk2oX.jpg

A interesting article from piston Heads, some Lotus content here, especially with people saying that it is Geely that as brought the rights, surely not? What with the the input that Lotus had into the original  car from day one, extruded chassis development and so on. What's your thoughts?

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-aston/aston-sells-vanquish-design-to-third-party/39002

I know the rolling chassis was designed and tuned by Lotus and then handed over to Aston to complete the car. So you’d think Geely would just look in-house to design a car if needed? 

Although article states the deal includes tooling and other design knowledge.  

I’m not in the business of making cars but I imagine it’s a long way to go from a prototype rolling chassis to actually figuring out how to manufacture it.  Plus all the  other gubbins you need to make it a car and not a rolling chassis.

This could give Geely a short cut to production for a new model? And the chassis design was done by Lotus so kinda still in-house and not outsourced. 

On 23/10/2018 at 16:48, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

He was probably too busy praying!

Vubk2oX.jpg

That wasn’t the cars fault was it? I thought it was Hammonds fault he crashed? Totally misjudged the corner? 

He should have been. But he didn’t (for some reason) and totally stuffed it up. It was covered in reasonable detail in one of the GT episodes. 

Unfortunately, you only have to look at the number of ‘lightweight, sports cars’ that are sold versus the number of ‘luxo sports GT barges’. The market has spoken, I’m afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Talking about lightweight sport cars, is anybody beside me surprised not to have seen any tidbit of patent design from the incoming two new sport cars that are scheduled to come in less than a year and a half now? I mean we've had the SUV renderings and design out for  a while because they probably needed to gauge reactions to it. But not a  single leak on the sport cars, by now when the designs should be at  the patent office... I'm impressed    

Oh I do so hope that the snippet of info I've heard about what Lotus are considering for the Esprit actually happens. I think it will surprise (or shock) everybody - in a good way.😄

Before anybody asks, I'm not letting on! 😉

• Like 2

On 27/10/2018 at 14:37, Spinney said:

Oh I do so hope that the snippet of info I've heard about what Lotus are considering for the Esprit actually happens. I think it will surprise (or shock) everybody - in a good way.😄

Before anybody asks, I'm not letting on! 😉

Now that's teasing.

• Haha 1

Can't make quote work, my ignorance I expect, but re the above market focus, would there be a clue in the recent BBC report:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45989908

That word "luxury" still featuring. Oh, dear.

On 28/10/2018 at 18:38, NedaSay said:

Now that's teasing.

Yes it is isn’t it. 🤫😉 I may be quite wrong, of course, but the snippet did come from a very reliable inside source and if it proves to be the case, could tempt me out of my GT410. Only time will tell. 😄

• Like 1

As you all know I am usually very skeptical re Lotus future positioning, however, in the links from @KAS-118 above the following extract actually gave me some incredible optimism that Geely does indeed value the Lotus heritage and will build on it. Also, the branding guys are the same that they used for Volvo, so they will have little latency in working with Geely and they have actually done a great job with Volvo and the new Volvo products.

I predict that we will see two product streams - one driver focused based on the motorsport heritage and one more GT/Lux focused playing on the Motorsport / legacy.

I hope!

"Feng Qingfeng, CEO of Lotus Cars said, “Lotus is an iconic brand that has become part of the lexicon of racing and performance sports cars throughout our history.” He added that the brand is now looking to build on its legacy and expand the appeal of the Lotus brand.

According to Peter Horbury, head of design for Geely, Lotus’ parent company, it believes Lynxeye is the best partner to help them achieve the goal of being a leading global luxury brand. The agency previously worked with Geely to reposition Volvo, which led to “amazing commercial results” Horbury said."

• Like 2

On 30/10/2018 at 22:54, Spinney said:

Yes it is isn’t it. 🤫😉 I may be quite wrong, of course, but the snippet did come from a very reliable inside source and if it proves to be the case, could tempt me out of my GT410. Only time will tell. 😄

If the GT430 wasn’t your preferred option before opting for the GT410, not sure how the new super/hypercar will manage to?

2 hours ago, DarrylV8 said:

If the GT430 wasn’t your preferred option before opting for the GT410, not sure how the new super/hypercar will manage to?

The GT430 isn’t sufficiently different to the GT410 to warrant the additional cost, in my view. A new Esprit, however, if it turns out anything like I’ve been told................... 

• Like 1