free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 46 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
9 hours ago, Spinney said:

The GT430 isn’t sufficiently different to the GT410 to warrant the additional cost, in my view. A new Esprit, however, if it turns out anything like I’ve been told................... 

Bit of difference in price for the new supercar compared to GT410 

That may be so but unlike the 430, it won’t be anything like the 410. Cost isn’t the issue for me here so if I like what I see in the new car, I will most likely go for it. 

With the 410 purchase, I just couldn’t see the sense in paying another £15k or so for a car that to me doesn’t seem very much different. Some might argue the 410 isn’t so very different to the 400, so why pay more for that? Again that may well be true, but I happen to prefer the 430 style front end so, for me, there was no contest when choosing between the two. 

I completely understand my choices may not make much sense to you, nor others, but who ever said buying any car of this type was sensible? 😉

• Like 2

On 02/11/2018 at 07:04, Spinney said:

but who ever said buying any car of this type was sensible?

Not my missus and that's for sure and she has no idea even now how much I spent on MY 410.

• Haha 1

What will Hethel be making for the next 3 years? I reckon the current line-up of models (Elise/Exige/Evora) will soldier on that long in some form or other, before they tool up for a clean-sweep of new models . I can't see them making/selling more than 2000 cars per year at Hethel during that time, so things will remain pretty much the same for the time-being. What do you think?

Same same not different, but maybe just maybe the Exige production may come to an end by the end of 2019 beginning of 2020. Evora and Elise to continue with product upgrades, possibly phasing out the Toyota engines for their Geely's counterparts if a business case can be made proving it will cost less.

8 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

What will Hethel be making for the next 3 years? I reckon the current line-up of models (Elise/Exige/Evora) will soldier on that long in some form or other, before they tool up for a clean-sweep of new models . I can't see them making/selling more than 2000 cars per year at Hethel during that time, so things will remain pretty much the same for the time-being. What do you think?

I agree; in fact, I think there's a definite danger of things starting to look and feel a little stale unless they begin to drip feed details of what's to come. I appreciate that's a balancing act, however, as Lotus will not want current potential customers to think, 'That looks incredible - I'll wait for that!' Lotus may well suffer in the sales department, for a while, until the 'next generation' start arriving.  I hope I'm wrong about that but unless there are some substantial upgrades on the way it looks like there will be a calm before the media/sales storm to come.

Evora Roadster anyone? I know, I know - it's never going to happen; I need to get over it! 😭

• Like 1

Surely the work from the ill fated Baha days and the much vaunted 5 cars means a lot of design work etc has already been done.  That, with access to platforms and kit, why can't they accelerate things now to get ONE new model ready and out? You're either going for it or you're not!  Get the pedal to the metal and that gas flowing and the rubber tearing the tarmac!

I think the Baha designs were generally well received, so much so that Lamborghini just lifted one for the Huracan in my opinion!

I'd like to see a slightly smaller version of the Evora (hard and soft top) losing that +2 shit and all that wasted space to shorten the platform a bit, and then a proper +2 Evora for those that want the extra space for shit machines etc.  When I look at the Huracan it looks very compact, lithe and agile, even against a current Evora. In fact, if it had a Lotus badge and interior (and not the Audi A4 it has) I'd buy one!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I'd like to see a slightly smaller version of the Evora (hard and soft top) losing that +2 shit and all that wasted space to shorten the platform a bit,

I think that's called an...................... "Exige" :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nope - I want the Evora fit, finish and comfort as opposed to the more raw Exige.  Do not complicate "smaller" with more basic, two different things.

• Like 2

It was a tongue in cheek comment. Having owned a V6 Exige before the Evora, I'm very aware of its rawness.;)

• Haha 1

an exige with evora fit = exora... exige is basically just an elise with a bigger engine,   & few  go faster bits. anyway......

so why not an exora, something that feels a little more upmarket  than a toy to get in and out?   (ment as something more serious the wife would elegantly get in an out of ) not as in kid toy, but a bit more smaller than the evora

sign me up..

• Like 1

Low, wide, pop up lights and put an esprit badge on it,   cant be that hard to take the G turbo sharp design and put a slightly modern touch on it !

I will give them until the end of next year or i will build them one myself to market lol 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I hate to be cynical, but here goes.  All of Geely’s money is going into 1-2 SUVs primarily designed for the Chinese market.  Sports cars will be produced in Hethel, however the new Exprit will be part of a massive re-positioning of Lotus in the market place.  Everything is going up-market; there will be no “bare bones” vehicles.  The current line-up will limp along until replaced with a far more premium and expensive line-up.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Nathan Pitman said:

Sorry, pop up lights ain’t gonna happen. Pedestrian safety killed those off. 

Not exactly accurate. Pop up headlights have not been killed off nor banned and can still be used by manufacturers. However, the new car will still have to comply with current pedestrian impact regs no matter how the headlights are mounted and that is cost prohibitive for many - as well as being deeply unfashionable these days. 

2 hours ago, Ccd said:

I hate to be cynical, but here goes.  All of Geely’s money is going into 1-2 SUVs primarily designed for the Chinese market.  Sports cars will be produced in Hethel, however the new Exprit will be part of a massive re-positioning of Lotus in the market place.  Everything is going up-market; there will be no “bare bones” vehicles.  The current line-up will limp along until replaced with a far more premium and expensive line-up.  

You are I think absolutely right, but lets not kid ourselves Loti are not cheap, they haven't been cheap in a long time and I do think that the new line up will pretty much mimic the price structure of Porsche at the low end and should undercut Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and McLaren at the top end. So if one was able to afford an Evora or an Exige V6  recently that same person should still be able to afford buying a Lotus in the future maybe not the top end but the exige replacement will not price out most current buyers. Hopefully, they will be produced in much higher numbers and this will cause the second hand market to have hopefully lower prices allowing humble people like me to be able to buy an Elise...  Oh yeah in case you don't know the Elise still sells for around a whopping 50k CAD... Yup 50K for a bare bone generally over 10 years old car... Depreciation my arse!!!!

• Like 1

I think the pricing of future models will depend on what Lotus charges for the Esprit.  I’m guessing it will be a $200,000 car and that the successors to the Evora, Exige and Elise will slot under that.  If I am right, then the only car Lotus makes in the future which will come out for less than $100,000 will be some versions if their SUVs.

This could make current versions of the Evora, Exige and Elise raging bargains.  Hard to know.  Speaking for the US market, Lotus has never been able to muster the cache of other cars in the collectible market here.  

I'd rather think Lotus will match Porsche toe to toe with a starting Elise replacement at around 55k when it lands. Just basing this on how Volvo was benchmarked against Mercedes Benz and how they are systematically cheaper. Going way upmarket with a sports car base model at 100k is not really sustainable, Lotus needs to build equity, the brand is an unknown quantity in China but European buyers American buyers have a certain notion of what Lotus is. Jumping straight to 100k+ is a stretch that could be somewhat dangerous.

It all comes down to the new Esprit pricing... it will be the top end  except for potential Eleven limited runs, will probably start somewhere between a 570S or a 720S. Whether it is close to one or the other will inform on the positioning of the lower end models. In my opinion there's room at the top end but also at the lower end of the market I believe. Especially if the first generation of Lotus under Geely is still based on internal combustion engine.