free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 51 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

True that, but then again with two cars that cannot be sold on the biggest sport car market on the planet, a variant that never came to fruition, a marketing budget that was a simple line with only one or two zeros. I don't think he did poorly. He had no development big development budget to speak off and yet he managed to get it appears two upcoming sport cars in the pipeline...  Now I'd rather focus on income  and profit before or after taxes than sales number, sure with investment being made the profits may not  be all that because of the expenses generated by all the new stuff they are working on... But presumably these 1600  were the most profitable cars Lotus has ever produced in its history, I wonder how much they made for the company.

• Like 2

Sales in Germany:

2018                 199       (83 Exige V6 / 75 Elise / 24 Evora / 17 others)

2017                 199

2016                 151

2015                 142

2014                 115

2013                   72

2012                   56

2011                   84

2010                 160

2009                 107

2008                 102

Source: www.kba.de

• Like 2

What are the 17 "others" in Germany? 3-11s?

Interesting to see the percentage of those two markets:

UK = 17% of worldwide sales

Germany = 12% of worldwide sales

Also the UK figure of 274 units across 19 UK dealers averages out at 14 cars per dealer, so <1.2 cars per month. Clearly some dealers do a whole lot more than that, but others correspondingly less.

53 minutes ago, Black Forest Power said:

Sales in Germany:

2018                 199       (83 Exige V6 / 75 Elise / 24 Evora / 17 others)

2017                 199

2016                 151

2015                 142

2014                 115

2013                   72

2012                   56

2011                   84

2010                 160

2009                 107

2008                 102

Source: www.kba.de

17 others? The only other "new" car Lotus has been selling is the 3 Eleven... 

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

What are the 17 "others" in Germany? 3-11s?

Interesting to see the percentage of those two markets:

UK = 17% of worldwide sales

Germany = 12% of worldwide sales

Also the UK figure of 274 units across 19 UK dealers averages out at 14 cars per dealer, so <1.2 cars per month. Clearly some dealers do a whole lot more than that, but others correspondingly less.

Those are surely the 311's. Komotec (Lotus am RIng) alone has sold a dozen or so. I believe the jump from 72 to 115 in 2014 is, in fact, largely due to KT becoming a full dealer. Also Carsten has been growing strong.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

17 others? The only other "new" car Lotus has been selling is the 3 Eleven... 

Sure, the 17 others must be vehicles not properly registered under their precise model description. Therefore, most of them must belong to the three main models. Really strange is the fact that in the official KBA-statistics of 2018 for Lotus you can find one car registered under Diesel and two cars as four-wheel drive – or is all this a hint from secret new vehicle design and developments under Geely test driven already? 😂

Going to our state registration agencies in Germany with a new Lotus it is always more or sometimes less funny how they try to “press” the data of the COC on a form until you receive your ‘Zulassungsbescheinigung’.

Well I think its great that Lotus has had its most profitable year and increased World Wide Sales - its slightly disappointing that UK Sales fell 11.47% from 279 to 247; although in % terms it is comparable with Porsche who feel 11.49%

Most manufacturers fell. Kia were one of the few who actually increased sales but many had a terrible year.

• Like 1

Fantastic addition’s to the team great things are coming 🏎🌪

• Like 1

You just wait Nathan. The Cupholder brigade will be on here soon - slagging me off for being a ludite and not moving with the times and not wanting to be able to drink my coffee whilst navigating one of gods greatest A roads at 120kleptons.

The majority of tech in cars today is just dead weight, dead expensive and dead unreliable as it ages. Keep it simple stioopid is why Lotus cars are so bloody great compared to the over engineered competition.

There I go again, god I need a beer - I wonder if i can get a gadget for the car that serves me a beer as it goes - oh, christ, I've just found the perfect reason why we all need a driverless car - so we can get pissed IN THE CAR whilst going to the pub! Damn, maybe tech's a good thing after all....

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Keep it simple stioopid is why Lotus cars are so bloody great compared to the over engineered competition.

Lotus only managed to sell 1,600 cars last year. In the entire world. 

The market has spoken, unfortunately. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

You just wait Nathan. The Cupholder brigade will be on here soon - slagging me off for being a ludite and not moving with the times and not wanting to be able to drink my coffee whilst navigating one of gods greatest A roads at 120kleptons.

I should declare at this point that I have a Lotus cupholder in my Elise.

Edited by Nathan Pitman

8 minutes ago, Nathan Pitman said:

I should declare at this point that I have a Lotus cupholder in my Elise.

Oh. Your dead to me!  😂🤣🏸

1 hour ago, Bravo73 said:

No. That was just crap marketing. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Apparently that’s up 50% in some markets

1 hour ago, au-yt said:

Apparently that’s up 50% in some markets

And best ever numbers. So maybe the market is waking up!  Stats, always a number of ways to make them support your argument!

The biggest thing for me is that EVERYONE on here practically comments, especially with their Evora, that the first response they get from non Lotus owners is along the lines of "wow, i never knew Lotus made a car like that". So again, you can only sell in a market that either knows about you or sees you. Jonny's post was a bit like a market stall owner in Leeds complaining that he had never sold anything in Bradford, a place he had never been too. i suspect it was a tongue in cheek response though.

• Like 1

Nope, not tongue in cheek at all. Those numbers demonstrate that the market for lightweight, 2 seater, track focused sports cars is very, very limited. Even worldwide. Even with a decent marketing budget. (Look at how many cars McLaren sold last year).

As has already been discussed ad finitum in this thread already, Porsche came to this conclusion in the 1990s. Hence the Cayenne and diesels. And then untold profits (which help to subsidise the various GT2/3/4s). 

The market has spoken. High power GT cars and SUVs with plenty of gizmos and cupholders is the future. If we’re lucky, there will still be a place for an Elise. But it just won’t be the core business. 

• Like 2

It will depend on whether Geely want to follow the McLaren model (high-end supercars) or the Porsche model (mass-produced machines to subsidise medium-end sports cars). One things for sure, they won't want to follow the traditional Lotus model! Is there a third way?

Completely I agree with you @C8RKH , our consumer preferences and criticism about modern cars are 100% congruent. However, I see the problem with old farts like you and me (sorry for taking you into kin liability) since not only the car models, we as a market are aging.

If I were boss with Porsche twenty years ago I would have fired that guy and sent him to psychological treatment coming up with the idea to build that Cayenne SUV – see, I am the one who may need such a treatment.

I think the up-to-date way is not ours but paved well with all your above mentioned ‘goodies’ we dislike. McLaren is a good example of successful niche development in quite a short while to be contemporary and desired.
Last year during a track day there was a father with his twenty years old son, both driving around in an Elise and an Evora. The young chap likes Lotus a lot and knows what they are about but when I asked him what he would like to have differently he mentioned all this contemporary electric, touchy, comfort orchestra – not mine but well, I guess it’s time.

Edited by Black Forest Power
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Neal H said:

Is there a third way?

The Koenigsegg way with that crazy £1M+ hyper car that is rumoured?

I'm of a similar view to Andy.  I love Lotus for what they represent today, light weight, simple machines with minimum luxury features so the driving pleasure is not diluted.  But at the same time I understand we are in the minority and this does not appeal to the mass market.  I think it's inevitable the Geely will push towards the higher end and add in higher levels of luxury.  I just hope they follow the McLaren model rather than the Porsche model.  I'd even prefer the old school Lambo model of making a flawed car but with loads of character. 

What ever happens it would be great if they would hold onto just one model that is similar to Elise/Exige.

• Like 1