free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 56 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well said the positive thing I have heard on this forum in years.

Williams and Lotus, have a look at this Jag engine and drive train by Williams.. yes please very tasty

Edited by au-yt
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I wonder if I would swap a BMW for a Lotus in the future. Not if it's an SUV but maybe if it's a 4 door coupé. (don't understand the hype for SUV's)

2 hours ago, Jeanvm said:

I wonder if I would swap a BMW for a Lotus in the future. Not if it's an SUV but maybe if it's a 4 door coupé. (don't understand the hype for SUV's)

You can do that today. 😉

3 hours ago, KAS-118 said:

I agree with Breeze in that Lotus do need to have  plan - on what models are to fill which sector.

I worry about the SUV in that although they're obviously extremely popular at the moment - it hasn't done much good for Maserati - but them again you see an awful lot of Porsche ones about.

To me they should aim for models that fit in along the lines of:

1) Basic/comparatively cheap/enthusiasts - Elan/Elsie

2) Track focused - Exige

3) Sporty but comfy with a tad of practicality for the teenage kids that you have to run around - Elite/Eclat/Excel

4) Gorgeous to Look at, Sporty as hell  and want an excuse not to be Dad's Taxi - Esprit

5) You own a dog = SUV

6) You have loads of money and want cutting edge design and technology - Hypercar 

I'm  pretty sure they have a plan and even better a roadmap. But this time they decided to keep as secret as possible for as long as possible. JMG  had a 10 year rational business plan I'm pretty sure they have tweaked quite a bit and are gearing up to simply execute it. But we the fans, the believers, the owners are not likely to be made aware of what's going to strike before it happens unless Bibs bribes the right people with the right amount of V.S.O,P. Cognac ...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Struggling to think of a 4 door Lotus coupé. Carlton had 4 doors, but not a coupé and not really an X5 alternative. Am I missing something?

Forget 4 doors and 4 seats. Just swap.

What can we expect for this year in terms of announcements / presence in motor shows? 

7 hours ago, Sport220 said:

What can we expect for this year in terms of announcements / presence in motor shows? 

Maybe Goodwood and Shanghai

On 28/01/2019 at 17:05, NedaSay said:

Clearly a possibility and somewhat a better call than to return to F1 at this point and in the foreseeable future... Lotus stablemate Polestar has been rumoured to join FE at some point, now it would not be surprising for Lotus to join FE.

How about a joint Geely entry of Lotus Polestar?  I could see that being a cost effective way of building both brands and provide a wider showcase for the Geely Group's capabilities.  I'd like to think that Geely brings "smart thinking" as well as money and combining the two brands allows them to split the budget and hopefully generate much more publicity. Even after 30 years the Talbot Lotus Sunbeam, the Vauxhall Lotus Carlton, etc still have a strong awareness across the motoring journo's and enthusiasts so would be a logical move.

so 

Hum i would say yes to that if Lotus was building the chassis and polestar the motor... But FE is a spec chassis series... I don't know if this branding would work these days as it worked decades ago. At the end of the day Geely would still be footing most of the bill but true it would be one bill and not two... Still I think that Lotus and Polestar will each get their own motorsport program and probably separate.... Polestar in FE and Lotus at Le Mans would be my favoured option (read dream)

21 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

Polestar in FE and Lotus at Le Mans would be my favoured option (read dream)

I think that would constitute a wet dream for me - but that would just make the racing more exciting too! :)

• Like 1

I would think that with FE budget stated around 25M for the time being and Le Mans GTE pro budget around the same amount, that both are doable.  Volvo probably has the budget for Polestar already with the record years they've had, they may have created a line of expenditure for a Polestar racing program. As for Lotus a return to motorsport is inevitable in my opinion and that is a good thing.

I would think that Lotus should not go for top flight right away and focus on doing a bit of grass root by creating bridges at the GT level... Which would allow a Motorsport rearm, the sale of Cup car has been an important source of income by the past and it would be good if they could bank on that again. Now should Lotus be involved in the new Hypercar category which I consider a bit risky it would still make a lot of sense. But even if Lotus was just to announce a Evora GT4.30R semi-work program to compete in Am or Pro-Am classes of GT4 of SRO or ACO/IMSA it would make me happy.

Nedasay. I see that you have been on TLF for 10 years now. I am always interested in your posts, in particular on this thread. How come you know so much about Lotus and their owners, from an industry point-of-view? I notice that you're always finding snippets of information and links from seemingly obscure sources. Your knowledge of the Asian car manufacturing industry is something to behold. Is this your profession, or are you just a very committed enthusiast, who enjoys digging around for this stuff? Do you have a similar passion for other marques?

Finally I know you don't drive a Lotus at the moment, but a) did you used to have one, and b) will you be getting one soon(ish)?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, webfoot said:

So Mr Burgess becomes I guess the shadow head designer for Lotus as this new studio was setup to cater mainly for Geely Group UK units so LEVC and Lotus. I wonder  which project the'll get to work on first assuming the SUV design is now frozen, and the sport cars design must be frozen two if they are to unveil them by 2020.