free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 57 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

As far as I understand this, Lotus and Geely are immunized and DRB alone will have to deal with it, it will still look messy, I don't understand much about Chinese court system but if Goldstar failed to acquire the licence within a given time frame and that was clearly stated in the chinese version of the agreement then they don't have a leg to stand on... That is of course if Proton-DRB did its proper diligence and informed all parties properly in due time.

Now there's something I'd' like Geely to deal with sooner than later : Youngman, one of the Loki of the car industry is up to some mischief again... They tied up with Chinese behemoth Changan to produce a small MPV called CX20 within days of the announcement of the acquisition of Lotus by Geely in 2017: https://carnewschina.com/tag/youngman-lotus-cx20/ 

Changan appears to have ended the production of the CX20 at the end of 2017 leaving the Youngman-lotus version of the car on the market where it appears their market is fairly insignificant but still. Youngman some may remember was the company that tried for 2 years to buy Saab alongside Spyker, they were also the company that was supposed to help Spyker industrialize the D8 suv that was based on the Lotus APX ; eventually that deal pretty much killed Spyker. Youngman is Proton's former partner in China, they imported the Malaysian cars and then produced them - of all cars - under licence, before becoming for a while the Lotus importer in China and then rebranding Proton car "Youngman Engineered by Lotus", they tried to bring the Youngman T5 to market, which was the market resady version of  the Lotus APX concept. Then  they simply rebranded to Youngman-Lotus when Proton unilaterally ended the deal...  They are the reason why Lotus sold in China have to be sold as Lotus NYO (and have to be pronounced Lute and not Lotus) as they somehow acquired the rights to both the english and chinese names. 

Yup I'd really like them to get that shitshow cleaned up.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

For those saying that a "luxury" SUV from Lotus is totally at odds with the history of the company, Oliver Winterbottom's book "A life in car design" (he is the designer of the 1970s Elite) has some interesting information on plans from the 1990s to produce a high performance, V8 powered, luxury APV i.e. a "people carrier"!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=a20JDgAAQBAJ&pg=PA156&lpg=PA156&dq=lotus+635+apv&source=bl&ots=H03zIVG8Tq&sig=ACfU3U1RhBUF24o3L972FxaJHcSUUi47Wg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj6iLaYlKrgAhU2VBUIHfoNB8cQ6AEwCnoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=lotus 635 apv&f=false

• Like 2

I have been an enthusiastic Lotus fan for more years than I'd care to mention but I must admit, I've not kept up with what's been confirmed, suspected, disconfirmed etc. in these exciting times for the company. At the risk of sounding lazy, can anyone here provide a brief overview of what is definite (or seems very probable) in terms of the new/updated models expected from Geely-backed Lotus over the next few years? In the absence of 'definites', I'm certainly interested in hearing what those on the site, who have a little more insight and/or insider knowledge, believe to be 'likely'...

Many thanks to anyone taking the time to answer, hazard a best guess etc.!

In a nutshell:-

Bought by the Chinese, no special editions since, definitely an SUV on the way and maybe a new Esprit in 2020/21.

Other than that, no further news I believe.

• Like 1

There's a nugget or two more than that. A tie-up with Williams to develop electric powered vehicles, including talk of an expensive halo model for instance. 

• Like 1

Bee,  may I respectfully observe that anyone with insider knowledge who posted it here would likely soon not be one.  And it may be that some are well aware of that.

• Like 1

Fair point, Mel! I'd just lost track of what was still in the pipeline, beyond the SUV and a likely halo hypercar, and wondered if anything more was still confirmed or likely. I was definitely not expecting anyone to risk their careers with unscheduled model announcements!

If I heard correctly at a presentation by Mark Fullalove at the Lotus Cars Australia Day at Bathurst Mount Panorama,  the SUV is on hold, Elise first. His main comment was the Hethel Heratige Center and new staff canteen were due for completion in Suptember. Interesting he said the canteen was important for staff moral, wow fist I’ve hear for sometime about company looking after the staff from any company.

• Like 1

Makes sense to look after the staff. Japanese firms have been doing it for a long time, engendering a loyalty among staff, so not surprised the Chinese are following their lead in this. For far too long, Lotus employees haven't had the security they perhaps should, so it's definitely a step in the right direction of putting the company on a solid base. 

Lets just hope we see some results over the next couple of years in terms of products, full of Lotus DNA that people actually want to buy. I'm feeling very positive about their long term future for the first time................probably ever, if I'm honest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bee said:

Fair point, Mel! I'd just lost track of what was still in the pipeline, beyond the SUV and a likely halo hypercar, and wondered if anything more was still confirmed or likely. I was definitely not expecting anyone to risk their careers with unscheduled model announcements!

An ever-fascinating topic of course.  What I had in mind was not so much the situation for "real insiders" - black/white for them - but those on the outermost fringes on "insiderdom" who, actually knowing nothing, have a better focus for speculation than others. If anyone in such a position voiced their thoughts publicly, and the speculation was later proved near the mark, it could have serious consequences for those "in the chain" to an actual insider.  Me, I don't rule out surprises. (A meaningless statement - please note that!)

Edited by mdavies
Punctuation

Will there ever be an Exige S3 road version with DCT/sequential box option?

I reckon a Cup 4xx with one could sell well. It's a track weapon, where the manual seems to let it down (talking about journos, and probably your wealthy trackday nuts) and generate more criticism than not, seeing as the car is so damn fast

Anyway, what I really want them to keep/start building is a new Elan or Elise. Manual as standard, of course 😎

• Like 1

I agree, sad part is I wont be able to afford one, I would also like to see than use more English expertise, ie a Quaife box. for the cup version perhaps as there are conversions already from what I have read

As this is a new era, I believe new names, sentimental I guess I plan to keep my EVORA 400 as its the end of an Era.

Interesting I saw the word Evangelise on a screen and interesting Lotus have the Elise what about Evang. evangelise verb (OPINIONS) [ I ] to talk about how good you think something is.. or the EMOTION, a car I wish the "Beep Beep" that they had made, as still looks good today.... big ask I for Both I suppose.

• Like 1

I believe new names are not going to be a thing in the future because of I.P... New names do cost a fortune to develop and maintain worldwide. Lotus is possibly set to to reuse name that is already their intellectual propeRty portfolio so: Elan, Elite, Excel, Esprit, Eleven, Elise, Exige, Evora. Even maybe but highly doubtful Eterne and Ethos that are also in the book because DB. Many companies are phasing out names in favour of codes as they are easier to obtain and protect a letter- number combination à la Mercedes/Benz and now, Audi, Volvo, Mazda Infinity... or just a number BMW is way easier as you don't have togo thru the landmines of legal documents as to who owns what name... And does it work in this or that language ; think Audi E-tron in french very clumsy to call your brand new electric car is piece of shit isn't it.

Also think of Tesla, they were supposed to go with Models S, X, E and Y with Elon Musk clear intent to make cars "sexy" again, only to find that Model E was still part of the Ford portfolio,  and Ford is keeping it registered even though there's no plan to get a Ford model E or T or L  in the future whatsoever,  forcing them to go to Model 3 still close enough so that S3XY does still read SEXY in  our brains. 

As to Emotion I do think MB has patented that one not for one of their car, but they own the emotion brand as i think they are planning to brand their electric AWD vehicles e-Motion.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, au-yt said:

I agree, sad part is I wont be able to afford one, I would also like to see than use more English expertise, ie a Quaife box. for the cup version perhaps as there are conversions already from what I have read

As this is a new era, I believe new names, sentimental I guess I plan to keep my EVORA 400 as its the end of an Era.

Interesting I saw the word Evangelise on a screen and interesting Lotus have the Elise what about Evang. evangelise verb (OPINIONS) [ I ] to talk about how good you think something is.. or the EMOTION, a car I wish the "Beep Beep" that they had made, as still looks good today.... big ask I for Both I suppose.

Yes, I forgot an LSD too, other major criticism. Quaife would be great

20 hours ago, au-yt said:

I agree, sad part is I wont be able to afford one, I would also like to see than use more English expertise, ie a Quaife box. for the cup version perhaps as there are conversions already from what I have read.

I didn’t know Quaife can supply a conversion. Is it a complete replacement or simply alternative gear sets within the standard casing? Do they use straight or helical cut gears, presumably still with full synchro?

Lotus have used Xtrac sequential boxes in the Exige and 3-11 but they weren’t really suited to road use. Having said that, Xtrac have produced high performance road gearboxes before so could still do the same for Lotus I should imagine.

Sorry my reference meant to infer a Quafe designed and built box, the ones I have seen racing are komo-tec

https://komo-tec.com/Shop/en/Exige/MK3-Toyota-V6-350-380/Gearbox/Sequential-7-Speed-Gearbox.html

As for names history is littered with revamped names that become watered down commercial versions of the original great cars. 

This would seem to add up very nicely.  WIlliams state that they could make a production run of 100 or so of these rolling carbon fibre chassis, with an electric 652bhp torque-vectored AWD system, weighing only 955kg each. Add in an equivalent to the Toyota supercharged 3.5l V6 (175kg?) to top it up to 1000bhp, and have it sound the way you'd want it to, and you would surely have something quite phenomenal for the Lotus ride and handling wizards to get their teeth stuck into! Could be very interesting...

www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/fancy-building-652bhp-4wd-electric-supercar-call-williams

• Like 1

Looks like a well engineered and competitive chassis to build from.

While I like Williams and I hope it’s a very successful partnership I wish it was fully engineered from ground up by Lotus.

I think they have the experience in house from Tesla days and the Eveora hybrid prototype so would’ve been nice to have a full Lotus design.

But I’m a fan of Williams Engineering and this will speed up development if the hypercar and get it to market quicker. 

• Like 2

Lotus entrusting chassis build to Williams is idiotic at best to me... Lotus is a chassis company, entrusting the battery to williams ok, the gearbox to Xtrac, Ricardo or Syncromatic ok, but the chassis should be designed and built at Hethel and nowhere else... Especially a hypercar chassis.

• Like 1

What's so idiotic about buying an already developed and ready to build, carbon fibre, lightweight, EV platform, from an Engineering team that's been powering Formula E and clearly has a lot more CFRP experience than Lotus?

I see it as a great partnership and an opportunity to build an halo car without overspending. And we all know what the Chinese want.  

32 minutes ago, Sport220 said:

And we all know what the Chinese want.  

Oodles of noodles?  Number 46 and a side of 83?