free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 6 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

Roger Becker on FB:

"The Esprit Sport 300 created in a year (1992) when all was well at Lotus and the ideals of Lotus were understood and appreciated by staff and customers alike. And in that year Doc Bundy won the Imsa Supercar Championship against the tough opposition of Hans Stuck of Brumos Porsche, and Chris Boardman won Olympic Gold on the Lotus Sport Pursuit Bike which was a first British Cycling Gold Medal in 84 years! And to top all this the Elise as a concept was created. This by loyal and dedicated staff who are in these days forgotten by current management and frowned upon by the Malaysian owners! How sad is that!! RGB."

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bibs I came up on that write up: on the GTspirit website:

http://gtspirit.com/2015/12/10/lotus-exige-sport-350-review/

I put an extract here for quick read:

On a chilly morning in mid-December, we found ourselves parking up outside the new Lotus management offices at Potash Lane, Norfolk in the UK. The British brand were unveiling their latest hardcore, mid-engined road racer, the Lotus Exige Sport 350. We would be among the first journalists to experience it.

Lotus has had a difficult time of late, however, the glass buildings are a sign that things are finally starting to look up for the iconic British car manufacturer. From these buildings, the Lotus design and management teams are hard at work preparing future generations of Lotus models.

So there are new buildings on site?

No, there's a section of management (inc JMG) who are in the 'white building' that Proton built and used for some time, a long time ago and they've been in there for a good number of years. No new construction, the extra 'engine & gearbox' factory that Bahar commissioned on the old ASO location is still just the steelwork frame as it has been for a couple of years now... 

That whole article is poorly researched and written to be fair, I'd not pay attention to much in there! 

New Lotus story giving JMG's plans on Pistonheads front page, instantly followed by a wave of negativity in the comments section. That place really is waste of time if you're anything other than a Porsche fanboy. At least the article itself was fairly positive.

• Like 1

JMG is following his plan and I have read on a thread Lotustalk.com that production appears to be close to 70 cars a week that is pretty much 3500 cars per year. So if they can sustain these levels now without Evora roadster which is anticipated to represent a fair chunk of cars sold in the US... Things are looking up.

No 450BHP on the Evora is a bit disappointing as the car is more than probably able to cope with the power and the cooling has been designed to handle the extra load. But there's a logic to let the 3Eleven be the sole user of the revised engine during its production run and possibly introduce the engine on the evora at the end of it. I guess Evora 400 SPORT will feature the probax seat showed a while back, the louvered tail gate, a big wing, lighter battery and rear seat removal.

46 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

I guess Evora 400 SPORT will feature the probax seat showed a while back, the louvered tail gate, a big wing, lighter battery and rear seat removal.

More dosh for less. But then as they say less is more.

So in 2 years I buy Colin's nice red Evora 400, 2 years after that who's gonna have a nice red 400 Sport for me to buy? The future's not orange, it's bright RED!

• Like 1

Still I'd like to see an Evora 450 GT with all the Evora Sport 400 adjustments, and Cup style extra aero bits, the moment they are done selling the 3Eleven ; so mid 2017 with any luck. 

• Like 1

That's good news. The company is gearing up for it's first year in the black in March 2016 or maybe possibly just a small loss as they seem to me that they are slightly (2 month or so) behind their expected schedule with the Evora 400 US launch scheduled for april, when the car should have started shipping in december then january... 

Good news is that even with a substantially reduced  staff Lotus engineering is contributing to the results in a significative manner. 

Geneva should be quite a year at Lotus with no less than Evora 400 roadster, 3Eleven, Exige Sport 350 to have their first autoshow display.  

Its also old news, reflecting the FY that ended last March. I'm much more interested in the numbers for the running year, I'm sure we'll be reading about that soon enough. 

In the UK, companies get 9 months from their year end to submit their accounts. Don't hold your breath although JMG did tell me in Dec that he expects this year to bring them into the black financially.

The question being are the sales up 60% on the rest of the planet for the same period...

Lotus Cars have tweeted a bunch of similar stats:

1. Italy saw a 44% increase in new car registrations of Lotus cars with registrations up from 39 in 2014 to 56 in 2015. #Lotus #evora400 #Elise

3 retweets8 likes

Retweet

More

New car registrations of Lotus cars in France are up by 38%, with 108 cars registered in 2015 from 78 in 2014. #Lotus #Evora #Elise #Exige

2 retweets14 likes

Retweet

More

In Germany, new Lotus car registrations are up by 23% for 2015 compared to 2014, with sales of 142 cars in 2015 compared to 115 in 2014.

1 retweet16 likes

Retweet

More

etc

3000 cars sold for 2016 should not be too much of a stretch when  your home market looks up and the immediate Europe is up it generally bodes well... 

It will be interesting to see the numbers in Japan and the middle east. Japan has long been Lotus most important market after the US. The middle east has been one of Lotus main focus these past four years with 3/4 dealers now serving the UAE.... It will never be a mass market but it will be a good indicator of Lotus premium appeal as there's very little customer loyalty over there. 

Edited by NedaSay

The Spring air is almost upon us... The Lotus dealers have plenty of cool cars to sell this year, let's hope JMG's got a plan to tell the normal non petrol heads (city boys, lawyers and doctors (airline pilots!)) that Lotus Cars have something they may want to buy for the weekend instead of a Boxter, Cockster or 911...

A long way to go but surely the numbers they can manufacture could easily be sold around the globe to pave the path for new investment?

9 hours ago, NedaSay said:

Only Lotus Cars knows at this point.

I did post the numbers in another thread. 

UK and USA which I believe we 75 UK and 350-400 USA orders iirc.

I'm relatively new to the whole Lotus thing but I think the news coming out of the factory seems to be generally good, they seem to be going the right way and I am personally really excited to see what they do.

I'd LOVE to see a new Esprit, something to take the fight to Ferrari and McLaren. But for now I am happy for JMG do the things necessary to keep the company in good health. And the Evora 400 is a mighty thing on its own.