free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 63 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

7 hours ago, 100th_Idiot said:

Even your phones will only get Android updates for 3 years. 

You need to get a iPhone then😜

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Let's just hope Lotus doesn't use Apple's battery tech. 25 different plugs for the charger and a new one every year. Then a battery that lasts for a couple of days - unless you actually use it. when its life can be measured in minutes and a screen whose replacement will void the whole car's warranty if not done by one of the three service centres. 

Mind you, the customers will never complain as they're all believers of the cult, so that's good news at least. :D 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, TpupNomad said:

Hey Charlie,

They actually did release a price list, options, and specs.  When I say “release” I mean the dealers have it but customers were told not to disclose them.  It will look like a Euro 430 but will have a few differences in terms of specs.  Rumors are a bit less hp than the Euro 430 due to a 3rd cat (which one could remove...).

Ah, good to know. According to Autocar magazine Lotus stated that it was a new Lotus car based on the Evora platform. So, for just a second I thought something different to consider. I personally won’t wait 4 years for the so called new line up. I will drive the crap out of my 400 and move to a different brand.

After one Elise and two Evoras I wanted a different kind of Lotus, at least a different look.

15 hours ago, TpupNomad said:

Hey Charlie,

They actually did release a price list, options, and specs.  When I say “release” I mean the dealers have it but customers were told not to disclose them.  It will look like a Euro 430 but will have a few differences in terms of specs.  Rumors are a bit less hp than the Euro 430 due to a 3rd cat (which one could remove...).

Interesting this reflects what my local dealer CEO said, more commercial comfort based cars and even he recons the Toyota powered cars are the ones to keep, so much for the future

8 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

Ah, good to know. According to Autocar magazine Lotus stated that it was a new Lotus car based on the Evora platform. So, for just a second I thought something different to consider. I personally won’t wait 4 years for the so called new line up. I will drive the crap out of my 400 and move to a different brand.

After one Elise and two Evoras I wanted a different kind of Lotus, at least a different look.

Popham did not say they were replacing the Evora nor that it was another Evora variant, it was said that the car would use the VVA architecture ( the same architecture used on Evora) people started reading just another Evora, but it doesn't have to be and probably will not be... Originally - under JMG's - this car was to be the Exige replacement, then one car became two, and I among many other believed or dreamt out loud an Exige and an Esprit... Then there was the rumour of the Hypercar... Which was actually also part of JMG's plan as a 3Eleven successor now called project Omega... 

So if we limit ourselves to the fact we know right now, we can only say that the car will use VVA, it could be an Evora mark III, or  a new Exige or even a successor to the Esprit. Popham said it would be an entirerly new car which seems to rule out an Evora mark III... So we are back to Exige or Esprit...

For the rest, a few of the pieces from the media lately appears to be contradictory, some saying the relationship with Toyota remaining strong while other did state that Lotus was poised to switch to Volvo tech as early as the very next model... And then there's the Williams A.E deal which leads to think that the Hypercar will get a Williams propulsion system.

I guess we'll know more in April at the Shanghai autoshow where Geely will formally welcome Lotus into the group, Maybe then they will lift a bit more of the veil of secrecy on the future models. Realistically any model to be on sale in 2020 should be presented now so that Lotus will be able to gauge early response.       

On 19/03/2019 at 08:23, scotty435 said:

You need to get a iPhone then😜

Why, so then we can all benefit from a sh!te policy from a sh!tester company that thinks it was OK to issue software releases to "older" phones and kit and to slow them down over time so customers would be "encouraged" to upgrade to a newer model?  I get the "Apple works" statement, that should really be "Apple works with anything else as long as Apple have been paid squillions to allow it to work" but then, sooner or later, usually members of a cult get to see the light!  hahahahaha!  :blobfire:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Here is what is SO frustrating with Lotus.  I can understand Lotus being quiet on models that are 3-4 years away.  HOWEVER, Lotus needs to let people know why they should care about the brand.  If I wasn’t on this site, I would never know that the Evora GT is coming to the US market.  It’s great to tell dealers your plans, but customers need to know too!  The US Lotus website, last time I checked, only listed the 400 as available in the US.

The new model available in 2020, whatever it is, needs unveiling very soon.  This model will be the first concrete indication of what Lotus plans are for the future and could be cause for real optimism for the brand.  Secrecy about 2019-20 models is counter-productive.

As well as the now seemingly moribund SUV, JMG also spoke about a "4-11" kind of car. Nico alludes to this above. It was supposed to be a replacement for the 3-11, but not as raw. I thought this might have since turned out to be the Evora GT430, but maybe there was something else in the pipeline, which is now coming to fruition?

17 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

As well as the now seemingly moribund SUV, JMG also spoke about a "4-11" kind of car. Nico alludes to this above. It was supposed to be a replacement for the 3-11, but not as raw. I thought this might have since turned out to be the Evora GT430, but maybe there was something else in the pipeline, which is now coming to fruition?

I honestly -maybe candidly- doubt the SUV is moribund... I Actually think it is well and truly coming pretty much in 2022, therefore as per the plan hinted when Geely took over and prior to the nomination of Popham. It could be time delayed by the construction of the factory where it is supposed to be built or also by a redesign but there's a lot of smoke and mirrors and Lotus is at its best when they don't say a word and then sting. It may piss everybody out (journos and prospective clients) but at this point it is pretty much part of the company culture. Popham interview in FT was an exercise in not saying much...

If you look at Popham interview, he hints at the next generation sport cars being ready in 3/4 years... That puts in in 2022/23... So if we think about this an almost customary one year delay when a new CEO is appointed and reviews a business plan. The thing is, it's a 3/4 year development time but when did the work start really start? At the time of the interview? No! Definitely prior to Popham got the job, just as the hiring spree started prior to Popham nomination under Feng. 

As for the 4-11 It could very well be the name of Project Omega. 3-11 was the ultimate track weapon for Lotus, raw and uncompromised, I think the next halo car for Lotus is going to be just what JMG initially promised with a twist: an EV propulsion system provided by Williams. I'm also betting on the fact that it will be a coupe and not a spyder... Anyway we are edging ever closer to the Shanghai autoshow...We will hopefully get to know more by then.

I believe a return to motorsport announcement is imminent, it is the most cost effective way to get people to talk about the brand and if Popham said he doubts Lotus will ever get back into F1, Lotus needs to have a motorsport program. With any luck either the new VVA based sport car or Project Omega will be used by Lotus in the motorsport arena. That will do the trick to keep the brand in the news while the heavy lifting goes on behind the scene. I think both cars will be right at home in WEC/Le Mans 24 and or IMSA.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Interesting bit about that new Germany R&D centre, this one totally flew under the radar... How far is it from Nurburg? 

Lets hope that all the connected and automated driving nannies can be fully disconnected.

• Like 2

“Founded in Hethel” 😂

• Like 1

"The next car we will announce is a new GT version of the Evora. It will be more powerful, and with more features. That will be the immediate offering," says Popham.

- the only confirmation Popham would provide was that of an all-new sports car. “You’re likely to see something toward the end of next year,” he says. “It won’t go on sale until after that, maybe the following year or so, but this is going to be more a volume product.” He promises that it will “still absolutely still have the DNA of Lotus—handling, lightweight, on-road dynamics,” but he predicts that it will appeal to a greater number of people because it will address “the hygiene factors the brand has been deficient in, in terms of things like space, ergonomics, and technology.” This car will start in the same price range that the Evora occupies right now, and go up from there.

I'm  wondering, now, whether the GT version of the Evora is what's coming to the US market or if he means there will be one last edition...

Same with the dates for the all-new car, 'end of next year/on sale the year after' could be referring to the US market?

Hurry up, Shanghai Motor Show 2019 - we need some clarity!

Considering that piece is for the American market first and foremost...  it would make sense wouldn't it. 

• Like 1

My best guess is that the Evora GT will be largely some amalgam of current offerings and serve as a stop gap.  Then there will be a “new” Evora which will have more power and better ergonomics.  This model is designed to carry Lotus until entirely new models are brought to market in 3-4 years.

Of course the GT and the “new” Evora could be the same car.  Hard to know given how much info Lotus shares with the public

Meanwhile, Geely themselves posted an encouraging 18% profit increase for 2018.

It achieved a record net profit of 12.55 billion yuan ($1.88 billion) in 2018, an 18 percent jump from the previous year.

Reuters Link

2 hours ago, NedaSay said:

A new variant of the EVORA makes sense although I as an Enthusiast would like them to rename it for the new future, and as for the statement

"In case the brand thrives in its latest incarnation, we look forward to driving a Chinese-built, all-electric, autonomously-driven Lotus SUV in the middle of this decade. We think that vehicle may be a perfect opportunity to revive the Elan nameplate. Don’t you? "

NO Way, new future new names. Companies that reuse old name as a marketing strategy rely on history to sell cars and finish making white goods car to compete in the general market, and I site MASERATI as prime example. Their hay day finished with the Khamsin. They reused the Ghibili name with the horrid twin turbo Contina's and 4 door cars ever since, sorry I feel so strongly about this but, just don't do it, Lotus your better than that, retain that clever innovative way in which Chapman would be proud.

• Like 1

Uh muricans at their best or worst... It's all about the nameplate, ain't no need for substance behind it.

Some do wonder why future Lotus may have autonomous tech... The average wealthy murican can't control his mustang... 

In the meantime Group Lotus just posted on the 20th of march another 100 positions to be filled asap, many of which in vehicle dynamics... 

@Bibs can you reassure me?  Gavan Kershaw has been kidnapped by the new powers that be, and golden handcuffed to his Hethel lab, hasn't he?

Lets not forget about those Habs...The average Hab can't afford much...

By Habs are you referring to the players from the Montreal Canadian hockey Team, cause they are generally doing quite ok... but do have so so taste in car, Porsche Cayenne and SUV galore on the parking lot.

Not news as such, but heavyweight concrete into foundations for the future:  The ‘Tesla Effect’ hits Germany as VW, Daimler, and BMW fully commit to EVs.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mission-elon-musk-master-plan-vw-bmw-daimler/amp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may.................

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators