free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 64 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

Did I hear a dilution of the “traditional Lotus Brand”?

fits with what I’ve heard.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 21/03/2019 at 16:48, NedaSay said:

Interesting bit about that new Germany R&D centre, this one totally flew under the radar... How far is it from Nurburg? 

Looking at the job offers on LinkedIn, this seems to be in Frankfurt. They are currently hiring managers, responsible for recruiting general staff. Geely only has major offices in China, Sweden, and the taxi stuff in Coventry, so I think it makes sense for them to have some R&D in Germany as well. My guess is that Lotus won't be affected too much by this.

• Thanks 1

I spotted this in the linked article, has he made this up

Perhaps even more exciting for enthusiasts and fans of the brand, next year Lotus will also reveal a wild new concept for its top-secret Project Omega -- a $4 million pure-electric hypercar that it is creating to rival cars from McLaren, Ferrari and Bugatti.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/watch-lotus-evora-slide-its-way-into-the-silly-season-116267/?utm_source=Responsys&utm_campaign=carsales_Newsletter_Automated_2019_03_26_V1&utm_medium=email&utm_membership_id=CEF612C5-BEB1-40EF-A4A9-B5E03603AA45&utm_content=carsalesc.8167325

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of multi-million dollar hyper cars???  Who cares???  You will only likely see the car in a YouTube or magazine.  The few that are sold will sit in collector’s garages.  And the following month, the public will probably be teased by another unobtainable hypercar from yet another car maker.

FAR more interesting would be an attempt to bring hypercar tech to a more affordable price point.  We can argue about the success of Honda’s attempt, but at least Honda did try to bring some hypercar tech to the NSX at a far more reasonable price point.

Lotus does not need a hypercar, the brand needs to update and expand its current line-up.  A hypercar is just a distraction

I went out last night for the first time in a while in my little 245bhp Type 116. After a few recent blasts in the 410 Sport all I can see is the little VX just blew me away!  It's just the right size for UK roads. It's easy to position on the road and it just fits like an old slipper!  I was grinning all the way. I can only imagine how much better a late model Elise 220/250 CUP would be and am thinking at some point I do need to own one. Given the new fooking crazy legislation in 2022 re speed limited cars these could very well be some of the best cars to own in the future as there are currently no plans to force retro-fitting and this is not the usual case form.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

6 hours ago, Ccd said:

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of multi-million dollar hyper cars???  Who cares???  You will only likely see the car in a YouTube or magazine.  The few that are sold will sit in collector’s garages.  And the following month, the public will probably be teased by another unobtainable hypercar from yet another car maker.

FAR more interesting would be an attempt to bring hypercar tech to a more affordable price point.  We can argue about the success of Honda’s attempt, but at least Honda did try to bring some hypercar tech to the NSX at a far more reasonable price point.

Lotus does not need a hypercar, the brand needs to update and expand its current line-up.  A hypercar is just a distraction

I have always wanted a small exotic, and the V6 Exige comes close as the performance is there, but the styling could be more radical.

The big issue is for the car to be rest of world market car, its to small and to hard for the US market to get into and there by lies the conundrum. 

Edited by au-yt

1 hour ago, au-yt said:

I have always wanted a small exotic, and the V6 Exige comes close as the performance is there, but the styling could be more radical.

You could always buy a road legal Radical!  That's on my list too!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Good idea but their New Evora money in Australia

By way of the Australian luxury car tax....

Edited by au-yt

On 26/03/2019 at 05:39, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

New Evora priced vehicle is due to be announced end 2020. Still quite a long wait then.

Really?...I think you mean end of 2019.

Yes, you are right... but it is supposed to be a new car not a new Evora?

I think that was for the US market. The same model should be out earlier in the UK...

Yes, probably the US bound vehicle will be at dealers by Fall 2021 the earliest. The Lotus way. LOL!

This is indirectly linked to the title of the thread but interesting none the less and it explains why Geely have a vest interest in Daimler.

Micro electric LOTUS version of the roadster would be fun,

Smart and Geely, an Idea Whose Time Has Come

Daimler-Benz’s microcar brand Smart has had a weird week. First, reports surface that the parent company’s new CEO has no love for this money-losing venture and may cut it loose. Then we hear Geely, the Chinese automaker on a buying streak as of late, may be interested too.

Now today we learn that officially, Daimler and Geely will transform Smart into a Chinese-built electric car brand in a new joint venture. Via Automotive News:

The Smart microcar brand will be expanded into the subcompact segment and will build all future models in China for global markets in a joint venture owned by Daimler and Zhejiang Geely Holding Group.

The 50-50 joint venture will build a new generation of Smart models in a purpose-built electric-car factory in China with global sales due to begin in 2022, Daimler said in a news release on Thursday.

Daimler will share its expertise in manufacturing, engineering and design with Geely. Mercedes designers will style future Smart vehicles and Geely will engineer them.

As part of the vehicle-development program, the Smart product portfolio will be extended into the “fast-growing” B- (subcompact) segment, Daimler said.

Daimler and Geely did not disclose financial terms of the deal. The details of the joint venture will be finalized by the end of this year, the companies said.

As that story notes, Smart has been “racking up losses” since it launched in the late 1990s and only sold 1,276 cars in the United States last year. It now only sells electric cars here.

So why China, and why EVs?

Daimler is betting young, city-dwelling consumers in China, the world’s largest auto market, to help rejuvenate the brand. Financial analysts Evercore ISI estimates Smart loses as much as 700 million euros ($787 million) annually.

The high cost of electric car batteries has made it hard for automakers to build affordable zero-emissions vehicles, leading several of them to strike alliances with Chinese partners. Daimler’s German rival BMW recently unveiled plans to build electric Minis in China, where production costs are low and demand for small electric cars is rising.

The Smart ForTwo and ForFour will continue production in France and Slovenia until 2022. After that, they’re off to Geely.

5 hours ago, au-yt said:

The Smart ForTwo and ForFour will continue production in France and Slovenia until 2022. After that, they’re off to Geely.

Now if that news right now was about Smart moving production from UK to China the reasons would all be down to Brexit. Funny that....

No positive big news has really been pushed out about Lotus investing in Hethel. What, 400, 500 plus new jobs? Yet JLR, Honda etc job losses and it's everywhere and all blamed on one thing.

From ML's comments to me recently, they are setting up for more employees before they recruit,  initially with a larger canteen which is in the same building the Heritage center.

Never saw this render before. Is this going to be the final look of the skeleton building left by the DB administration?

unknown-1.jpg?itok=6YsXUdUy

this one is from the latest Top Gear piece, that has very little in terms of fresh info: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/lotuss-future-new-sports-car-platform-and-electric-hypercar

Edited by NedaSay

"In 2018, Lotus sold 1,630 cars. Popham believes the current facility has the ability to produce 5,000, and told us he has spent the past five months “agreeing the strategy and investment to deliver that”

High expectations from Popham. The ability to produce 5000 units does not equal sales.

10 hours ago, C8RKH said:

No positive big news has really been pushed out about Lotus investing in Hethel. What, 400, 500 plus new jobs? Yet JLR, Honda etc job losses and it's everywhere and all blamed on one thing.

JLR's woes are widely known to be down to the slump in China but no one wants to blame poor sales when you can jump on the bandwagon.  Reminds me when Wedgwood pottery closed a factory and blamed it on 9/11. 

And Honda stated very clearly that the Swindon plant closure had nothing to do with Brexit either.