free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 68 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So is the Evora now the "Halo" model for Lotus?

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I'd imagine the £1m electric hypercar will be the halo model mate. 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

2 hours ago, au-yt said:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1120322_lotus-kicks-off-revival-with-confirmation-of-electric-hypercar

Obviously my posts (3off) as i found them today are in contravention with something on this form because they have all been deleted and they were news related

They may have been moved to a different thread - hopefully one of the Mods will confirm.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

There's a link to the posts in the correct thread right below that post.

Evora NA

Weight of the hypercar? If it comes in at under two tonnes it's doing well. I'd suggest around 1800kgs depending on dimensions. 

Looking at the blurb on various sites it woudln't surprise me if they get somewhere between 1,000 -> 1,500kg as the interior will be kept to a minimum, and has a carbon tub - suspect the weight will be largely down to the batteries and electric motors. With a 1000bhp on tap this would destroy pretty much everything on the market. Can't wait to put down my £500 deposit ;)

• Like 1

Weight-wise, the Rimac (why do I keep wanting to say 'Immac!?!) C 2 and Pininfarina Battista are coming in at around 1950kg so you'd hope Lotus would be aiming to lop a decent chunk off of that figure in order to be lightest in class - 1750-1850kg perhaps? 

Wonder how it will handle if it's nearly 2 tonnes!!?? Not very Lotus DNA 🤨

Batteries are heavy, but the good news is that batteries can be placed to lower center of gravity and distribute weight better, so my guess is that its most likely going to handle well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Embarrassing that a performance car publication like Evo thinks that the Evora is the last new model produced by Lotus. Exige V6, 3-11? As for the Type 130 being under 1000kg? .... here’s hoping.

At a million plus Euro's does its weight really matter.

8 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Embarrassing that a performance car publication like Evo thinks that the Evora is the last new model produced by Lotus. Exige V6, 3-11? As for the Type 130 being under 1000kg? .... here’s hoping.

Wasn't the Evora GT430 the latest new model.

Latest on that account would be the GT410 then

A supercar (what ever) is a good idea to get brand awareness … a very important first step. But then I´d like to see more than a small GT4 for China. It will be important that they show their product ideas to challenge the sports car market early.

• Like 2

I've had some criticism for being less than enthusiastic in my reaction to the paragraph quoted from The Times on Lotus' plans. My reasons are multi-faceted, but one aspect, adding to the mentions above about battery capacity and, importantly, weight, are illustrated by the article below.

Yes, there is massive research on-going by many organisations into battery technology,  covering fundamental electrochemistry, new materials (graphene, anyone?) and combinations of different established materials.  (I have a little non-expert knowledge of some of it.) Apart from raw energy capacity, there are considerations of battery life under charge/discharge cycling, recharge time, temperature management and of course safety.  For very high performance machinery, current technology can provide bursts of energy drawn from on-board super-capacitors (near instantaneous bursts of current in and out, but of very limited capacity compared with batteries, then "recharged" from the battery) but the total energy available - and so the time/length of running and performance - depends on the battery carried.  And accelerating more mass takes more force - back to school days!  

Perhaps the present optimal performance is  represented by Formula E ?  Adequate for the new hypercar?  I would have been far happier to see a hybrid of some form, drawing from Formula 1 approaches.

Some issues re ordinary vehicles, very far from hypercars, are addressed  in this Reuters article. 

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-shanghai-electric-insight/the-uphill-road-battery-limitations-to-test-chinas-electric-vehicle-ambitions-idUKKCN1RS06T

• Like 1

As a PS to the above,  I expected Rimac to be mentioned. I know nothing of it bar what Google throws up. I find 1914 HP and:

"120kWh battery pack containing 6,960 lithium manganese nickel cells. Fully-charged, these are said to be good for a daily-driving range of 400 miles, or two full laps of the Nürburgring at max power."

I've no basis for questioning that endurance statement, but I find it surprising.

1914 HP =>  1427KW 

A battery of 120 kW Hour => 160 HP Hour.   So for an hour's driving (allow for getting home?!) the average HP used can only be 160/1427 = 8.4% of that maximum.  Perhaps enough for a steady speed, perhaps quite high, depending on rolling resistance and aero drag.

But like some acceleration too - the sort to demonstrate a hypercar in action? Say using half max power ?  (Actual acceleration depends on the overall weight of course.) That will cut the endurance dramatically. For 10 mins at half power: 1427/2 for 1/6 hour => 119 kW Hour.  The battery capacity - so flat. If fully charged to start with!  OK, I expect quite decent  thrills with far less than 10 minutes of accelerating and at less than 50% max power, but hope I've illustrated  my concern.

If I'm wrong, education and correction please!

Danny,  "where I would want to be rolling down a hill".  I like it!  😀  Expect you noted my comments above are about a wholly battery powered car, not the Hyper bit as such.  Though I'd have preferred Super to Hyper, even top end Super, but something more real world.  But probably I'm thinking about the wrong part of the real world now, not Geely's vision!

• Haha 1