free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 71 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

In the immediate future I’d like to see the new Exige built on the Evora platform, hopefully with a longitudinal engine /transaxle install, to take over the track /sports sector of the range. The Evora, which will probably be with us for some time yet, should go back towards its original concept as a useable daily GT, not the highly focused track car it has become. One of the problems with the current Evora in my mind is that it is perhaps too focused to have a wider appeal. The 911 has appeal because the vast majority of the cars sold are non focused, standard 911’s, not the GT2 /3’s

As an aside. The Geely DSG box was mentioned, is this for a transversals or longitudinal engine installation?

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 22/05/2019 at 12:05, Breeze said:

In the immediate future I’d like to see the new Exige built on the Evora platform, hopefully with a longitudinal engine /transaxle install, to take over the track /sports sector of the range. The Evora, which will probably be with us for some time yet, should go back towards its original concept as a useable daily GT, not the highly focused track car it has become. One of the problems with the current Evora in my mind is that it is perhaps too focused to have a wider appeal. The 911 has appeal because the vast majority of the cars sold are non focused, standard 911’s, not the GT2 /3’s

As an aside. The Geely DSG box was mentioned, is this for a transversals or longitudinal engine installation?

I agree with you - they do need a car that is sporty -  but does have some nod to practicality as well.

The 911 does have rear seats that although are cramped - you can still get a teenager in there.

I was all prepared to get an Evora last year - went down to Bell & Colvill - only to find out that my daughter had to have her head tipped on her side and the way the rear seats were shaped made you sit with your knees projecting forwards - and not like on an Elite 503 were they were scooped out which made you sit with your knees up and brought back.

Now toying with the idea of getting my daughter, who will be learning to drive in about 18 months, a Smart Car and myself and Elsie - but now I'm beginning to think do I really want to replace by car at the moment (which after 8 years has done less than 12k miles) when to me the future is very uncertain as to what power trains we'll be using in 10 to 15 years time (which if I bought a Lotus now I would keep it for).

On that subject - what was the latest on the Elise Replacement? I thought the new one was targeted for 2020?

The next Elise was postponed under JMG as the ink was drying on the Geely deal. It was deemed that a new exige was more important to the brand, to compete with the Cayman/Boxster presumably.

The Elise and Evora were supposed to soldier on  for a while longer under JMG while a new halo car now known as Type 130 and a new sport car were to be introduced. We assume the new sport car is an Evora based Exige car. A strict two seater but with a lot more room for the cabin occupants and all the gadgets lifestyle buyers demands, Geely providing the backbone for these. The other options being a new take on the Evora but rebranded or an Esprit successor.  

As for the Elise, JMG stated that it was going to come to market in 2022... Popham said last year that the next generation cars were about 4 years away so that would be still be around 2022.  I'm guessing that they may just go with the early sketches and designs of Carr and his team done under JMG and refine them to umpteenth degree.  So far it seems Popham and Co have been refining the plan set in place by JMG and are just modifying it. 

• Like 1

Very, very interesting video from Jaguar, showing the development of the I-Pace. It's left me wondering about what similar processes are going on at Lotus. I really hope they're documenting the process as I'd love to see a record of the immense changes they are going through. I always especially loved the documentary tracking the development of the Elise, and there must be so much exciting work going on at Hethel at the moment! The film has an interesting conclusion, with Ian Callum noting that the I-Pace is the car taking Jaguar forward. The Type 130 is that first step for Lotus, and the interim model is the next; I think we'd all like to see just how they really do this so please, please, please, Lotus, make the film!

https://biites.com/uk/jaguar/?fbclid=IwAR095C-V0mJuluGW4HlNVlavwky38MGg5rOIJGJjwYg2fgyINeOTqUlE38Y

I think we'll see something similar when they launch the Type 130.

Let's not forget Lotus are still trying to sell their current range of cars. Early talk (and I mean, it is very early...) of the next generation of cars will just turn people off to the current range. There's not really a lot of sense in trying to sell 'the next car' to people who aren't really listening right now (hence showcase car, the Type 130). I'm not sure how much I can say of the new gen cars and what they'll be based on, but I think it'll be evolution rather than revolution...

• Like 2

Ok I don't want to post this in the Evija thread, but the new sales, marketing and PR team just nailed that launch... They just nailed the level of coverage is unprecedented for the brand in the internet era.If they nail the execution as well as this launch they will have no problem selling these 130... Actually no way this car is not going to sell out... 

Now if they decide to just pull Valhalla, the same car but with an ICE propulsion system and call it the Esprit in a 0.95 scale... They will kill it... Bring on the next models guys. Kudos to Carr, Kershaw and Co.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jonwat said:

Phil Popham interview in Autocar:thumbup:

"the range of cars we have now runs from the mid £50,000s to well over £100,000 and we see our core future models, apart from our new Hypercar, as continuing to be in the that range"

^ This!!!

• Like 1

They are talking of a 2 seater based on the Evora platform so with more luxury in it.

id you get back to names from the past and you target the price of the A110, that sounds like a Europa to me (more than an Exige) and it could live alongside the Exige the more hard core car.

36 minutes ago, The Pits said:

I really don't think we'll see a new car bearing the name Esprit anytime soon but having thought about it, what a time to re-introduce the 4 cyl turbo supercar?!

I am pretty sure the next esprit if any will be a v8 car. I can imagine a whole range of cars fro 4cyl (Elise) to 8 (esprit) going through 6 (Evora/Exige). The v8 will obviously be the Daimler one like Aston is using.

12 hours ago, NedaSay said:

2020s version of the Elan

I know this is probably more suited for the "Future of Lotus" or its own separate thread, but given that the quote was added here, I will just ask here (Moderators, please feel free to move to a separate thread if you think it makes more sense).

If there was to be a 2020 Elan:

Do you think this will run alongside the Elise (at lease initially) or as an Elise replacement as from its launch?

Is it safe to assume that it will be mid-engined RWD as it will be based on the Evora or would it be front engined (or even FWD) as the Elan?

57 minutes ago, Arregueti said:

I know this is probably more suited for the "Future of Lotus" or its own separate thread, but given that the quote was added here, I will just ask here (Moderators, please feel free to move to a separate thread if you think it makes more sense).

If there was to be a 2020 Elan:

Do you think this will run alongside the Elise (at lease initially) or as an Elise replacement as from its launch?

Is it safe to assume that it will be mid-engined RWD as it will be based on the Evora or would it be front engined (or even FWD) as the Elan?

I think the new Elan will slot in above the Evora, remember they said trickle down... that means new models top down so I think it may be quite some time before we see anything new at the 50k mark and quite likely that we won't see a direct replacement for the Elise and Exige at all.

2 hours ago, Nathan Pitman said:

think the new Elan will slot in above the Evora, remember they said trickle down...

Historically the Elan has been a smaller, Elise sized car has it not? So why would the new one be pitched above the Evora? Surely that is Esprit Territory?

20 years since the last Elan so a good time to bring it back.

A new Elite/ Eclat could take the GT spot from the Evora leaving an Evora sized slit for the track focused two seater Exige.  That makes more sense to me. Then still space for an Evora GT above the Elite and an Esprit as the pinnacle (real world) sports car.

Elan - 4 cyl

Elite/Exige - V6

Evora/Esprit - V8

Just my ramblings...

Personally i'd rather the Elan name gets left in the past. The M100 should have been given a different name but hey ho. Same with the Europa too.

As for the Elite, hardly anyone will know about the 50's-60's car, so I can forgive them for re-using that name.

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Historically the Elan has been a smaller, Elise sized car has it not? So why would the new one be pitched above the Evora? Surely that is Esprit Territory?

The 2010 Elan concept was pitched as a £75k car, so perhaps that actually slots in as an Evora replacement? Actually accounting for inflation maybe it still slots in above. Crazy thing is, those concepts STILL look current, almost ten years on.

Edited by Nathan Pitman
  • Like 1

That was a 2010 concept so maybe they will just be taking a different direction now (I refer to its placement in the market and not to the design). At some point there was some discussion on here about a more conventionally built (ie. cheaper and in larger numbers) more accessible Lotus to compete with the Mx-5.

For me the relevant point is whether it would overlap with the Elise (as a more comfortable "tourer") or they exclude each other. Since they would actually serve slightly different purposes (or rather be directed to a different audience) it would be good to be able to choose to go for one or the other.

Given where Lotus seems to be heading I guess it is a hard case to argue in favour of keeping both running simultaneously. It is probably all day dreaming for now anyway.

• Like 1