free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 71 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

In the immediate future I’d like to see the new Exige built on the Evora platform, hopefully with a longitudinal engine /transaxle install, to take over the track /sports sector of the range. The Evora, which will probably be with us for some time yet, should go back towards its original concept as a useable daily GT, not the highly focused track car it has become. One of the problems with the current Evora in my mind is that it is perhaps too focused to have a wider appeal. The 911 has appeal because the vast majority of the cars sold are non focused, standard 911’s, not the GT2 /3’s

As an aside. The Geely DSG box was mentioned, is this for a transversals or longitudinal engine installation?

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 22/05/2019 at 12:05, Breeze said:

In the immediate future I’d like to see the new Exige built on the Evora platform, hopefully with a longitudinal engine /transaxle install, to take over the track /sports sector of the range. The Evora, which will probably be with us for some time yet, should go back towards its original concept as a useable daily GT, not the highly focused track car it has become. One of the problems with the current Evora in my mind is that it is perhaps too focused to have a wider appeal. The 911 has appeal because the vast majority of the cars sold are non focused, standard 911’s, not the GT2 /3’s

As an aside. The Geely DSG box was mentioned, is this for a transversals or longitudinal engine installation?

I agree with you - they do need a car that is sporty -  but does have some nod to practicality as well.

The 911 does have rear seats that although are cramped - you can still get a teenager in there.

I was all prepared to get an Evora last year - went down to Bell & Colvill - only to find out that my daughter had to have her head tipped on her side and the way the rear seats were shaped made you sit with your knees projecting forwards - and not like on an Elite 503 were they were scooped out which made you sit with your knees up and brought back.

Now toying with the idea of getting my daughter, who will be learning to drive in about 18 months, a Smart Car and myself and Elsie - but now I'm beginning to think do I really want to replace by car at the moment (which after 8 years has done less than 12k miles) when to me the future is very uncertain as to what power trains we'll be using in 10 to 15 years time (which if I bought a Lotus now I would keep it for).

On that subject - what was the latest on the Elise Replacement? I thought the new one was targeted for 2020?

The next Elise was postponed under JMG as the ink was drying on the Geely deal. It was deemed that a new exige was more important to the brand, to compete with the Cayman/Boxster presumably.

The Elise and Evora were supposed to soldier on  for a while longer under JMG while a new halo car now known as Type 130 and a new sport car were to be introduced. We assume the new sport car is an Evora based Exige car. A strict two seater but with a lot more room for the cabin occupants and all the gadgets lifestyle buyers demands, Geely providing the backbone for these. The other options being a new take on the Evora but rebranded or an Esprit successor.  

As for the Elise, JMG stated that it was going to come to market in 2022... Popham said last year that the next generation cars were about 4 years away so that would be still be around 2022.  I'm guessing that they may just go with the early sketches and designs of Carr and his team done under JMG and refine them to umpteenth degree.  So far it seems Popham and Co have been refining the plan set in place by JMG and are just modifying it. 

• Like 1

Very, very interesting video from Jaguar, showing the development of the I-Pace. It's left me wondering about what similar processes are going on at Lotus. I really hope they're documenting the process as I'd love to see a record of the immense changes they are going through. I always especially loved the documentary tracking the development of the Elise, and there must be so much exciting work going on at Hethel at the moment! The film has an interesting conclusion, with Ian Callum noting that the I-Pace is the car taking Jaguar forward. The Type 130 is that first step for Lotus, and the interim model is the next; I think we'd all like to see just how they really do this so please, please, please, Lotus, make the film!

https://biites.com/uk/jaguar/?fbclid=IwAR095C-V0mJuluGW4HlNVlavwky38MGg5rOIJGJjwYg2fgyINeOTqUlE38Y