free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 80 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Advantage

Future of Lotus

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You might like to question why even the most ardent enthusiasts have concerns about Lotus’s future. I personally don’t think the new management are the right people for the job. Limited vision and little to no passion about focused sports cars, motorsport, Lotus heritage. Fortunately there are still a good number of other people at Lotus with all of that and my hopes lie with them.

However even if the place was being run by Gavan Kershaw and Russell Carr the opportunity to produce a game changing range of ICE sports cars may well have passed. In that event, Lotus may well need  purely commercially driven, dispassionate  corporate suits to keep Lotus relevant in a very different landscape. It’s great news for those looking forward to autonomous, electric Lotus cars, if survival at all costs is what matters then be prepared to accept the costs. Lotus in ten years time will either be gone or unrecognisable from what it was ten years ago.

The main reason that some great Lotus cars are still sitting in showrooms is because the brand is not aspirational to many of those who buy expensive cars. Until they fix that no new Lotus car will set the world alight. How do they fix that? Skoda did it by addressing the negative associations head on with great marketing, design, dramatic improvements in build quality and (to a lesser extent) motorsport. Not many will want to hear here it but to many Porsche owners a Lotus is about as desirable as a Skoda. Totally undeserved in my opinion, nothing but prejudice and ignorance but that’s the challenge. Convince them and your work is done.

But what a chance Dany Bahar had (and blew) at least for making the sort of cars I was hoping to see. Really he should have been marketing director to someone like JMG. He understood that Lotus had to become a badge people aspired to own. His deal to get the Lotus name back in F1 was very smart. He poached a quality control manager from Porsche. A great statement of intent. That issue has to be addressed. No reason or benefit for the new management to delay any quality measures they are taking. If they want to lead with Evija that’s fine but it will have to be a quantum leap in terms of quality of parts, materials and build. We should be hearing a lot more about that and how cars will be built at Hethel going forward. Absolutely crucial to get a message out there that next year’s Evora based car will be the best built Lotus ever - long before the car is actually launched. That’s what I would be doing anyway. Flimsy, lightweight lifestyle fluff is very low rent marketing, ineffective and dumbs down a brand of real substance which people should be looking up to, not down on.

• Like 1

Some for years ago or there about, my wife and I was walking around in centrum of Bucharest in Romania, looking at the most expensive shops there. We passed by a ferrari fanboy dealership and when we went inside to take a look, we were met by a smiling friendly and not aggressive pushing female seller. Nice experience.

It so happened that the exxtension of that shop was a very small Lotus dealership. Naturally we went inside, an dit looked messy, dirty, with 9 people sitting at individual desks talking to eachother. Not even one raised and eyebrow and approached up. I eventually sat down an dlooked at the new edition of their mag.

I was nicely and propperly dressed in expensive clothing plus a black Lotus technical jacket, clearly stating Lotus. After some 10 minutes, I went to one of the representatives there, asking if I could hear more about their models presently for sale, buy the mag and if I could order spares for my Lotus. She looked confused, whirring her head and kept on talking to a colleague about her private life.

There was a poster here and there about new Lotus cars coming (the ones we never saw) and one Exige, two Lotus mags and two chairs for customers. We left.

The impression we were left with was an organisation that was not interested in doing bussiness, not interested in or trained to handle customers and we were treated as we were an insult to their little coffee-club.

I wrote to Lotus headquarters in the UK about the unfortunate experience, and got an apology. 1 year later, the shop was closed down.

I never say Porsche as a super reliable, more than others, sportscar, and have been experiencing this forst ahnd with a few griends 911 cars of various models. To me at least, said brand is not something to aspire to. Lotus have been doing some eclatant errors for many years, including an unseen lack of press, commercials and interest in selling their own cars. Way before Bahar, during Bahar and since Bahar. Another example is the silly deal their did with renting an expensive place that they never really used propperly, in Regent Street, occupied by a few youngsters who knew absolutel nothing about anything, save their own mobile telephone.

To sum it up, that seems to be part of the Lotus ethos for the last decade: clearly demonstrating their inability to market and sell their splendid sportscars.

In my humble oppinion, making a boring littel suv, electric or not, will not help that. That plan should have been working on full scale 10 years ago, when a Cayenne was sold every 10 minute. That was the time to milk that cow. Not now. The only thing going for it now adays, is a possible, not possible, chinese market.

As much as the Esprits that we know and drive plus Elise, Exige and the Evora, what ever is announced after that, seems pretty dead to me, and certainly not something interesting that could make my day in terms of an exciting new sportscar. Ther eare many car brands that understand how to make an ordinary people carrier. No need for Hethel to just copy that.

Kind regards,

Jacques

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

9 hours ago, The Pits said:

The main reason that some great Lotus cars are still sitting in showrooms is because the brand is not aspirational to many of those who buy expensive cars. Until they fix that no new Lotus car will set the world alight. How do they fix that? Skoda did it by addressing the negative associations head on with great marketing, design, dramatic improvements in build quality and (to a lesser extent) motorsport. Not many will want to hear here it but to many Porsche owners a Lotus is about as desirable as a Skoda. Totally undeserved in my opinion, nothing but prejudice and ignorance but that’s the challenge. Convince them and your work is done.

One of the biggest things Lotus needs to do is also to completely change the dealer network.  If they want to compete with the likes of Porsche, BMW or any modern manufacturer for that matter, they need brand new squeaky showrooms.  Buying a car is an experience which starts in the showroom.  How can you expect to attract new customers and to be aspirational when most of the dealers sell cars from warehouses, usually alongside other car brands.

Has there been any hints at when the all new Lotus will be out?  What are the current best predictions saying?

If it's 2 years from now, then I don't know if EV tech will have come on enough to make a genuine viable sports car so I think that will still have a ICE but maybe in hybrid form.

If its more like 4 years from now then the EV tech may have been developed enough to get the weight down and power density high enough so you can rag the car around the country lanes but still get a decent range out if it.  So I can see that one possibly being a full EV sports car.

1 hour ago, Cypriot said:

One of the biggest things Lotus needs to do is also to completely change the dealer network.  If they want to compete with the likes of Porsche, BMW or any modern manufacturer for that matter, they need brand new squeaky showrooms.  Buying a car is an experience which starts in the showroom.  How can you expect to attract new customers and to be aspirational when most of the dealers sell cars from warehouses, usually alongside other car brands.

With high volume comes levels of dealer subsidies which can support this.

The second Lotus up the price by £5k all I see on here is bitching and moaning.

They really cannot do right for doing wrong in the eyes of the posters on here.

me - I love both my cars and didn’t buy new or from a dealers so my opinion is irrelevant.

my last new car/van, in fact my last 4, have all been bought over the phone, click to buy or in a heated financial negotiation in a dealers after looking online. Maybe I’m not a typical punter - but the thought of some slimey Porsche type salesman shoving his tongue as far as possible up my arse isn’t my idea of an experience 

• Like 2

Only here once

Sadly it’s the other way around at Porsche dealers. The customers are the ones sucking up to the dealers, buying cars they don’t even want to get on their obnoxious ’preferred customer list’ they figure it will all be worth it when they can start flipping  the latest GT car for a quick tax free profit.

• Love 1

Hmmm, maybe, just maybe, at least some chaos car owners, are not really keen on driving their sportscars proudly advertising that they only drove 150 km's that year (thereby being a proven pro-driver), then a still stand for some 5 years, where after they go to one coffe and cars show, driving a measely 100 km's, but more likely to see them as investment options, that will rise (or fall - hardly) as future becomes past. And by then, all of their more mundane models will be sucked up by not so firstmovers, who are glad to invest their money, trying to get the same effect on their future back account. Fortunately, there are also some owners who are really keen on actually driving the crap out of their cars - how they are meant to be used ;)

But yes, Porsche is an institution in itself, they can hardly do anything wrong these years, and not a day after a person who has now become appointed some sort of leader, or rather head of department, they hurry to the nearest Porsche dealership and get their badge of proof of their job, a chaos car. Each to his own of course.

The strange part of it all is when buyers will actually accept errors on their cars, just because it's a 911. Same thing happens to Ferrari. In these instances, it's called "character", "personality" or "hard core race car for road use" or similar...

Luckily I think Lotus car owners have a far more mundane down to Earth and practical approach to their car(-s): they want it to go like the clappers. Again - each to his own of course. Me? I like them all, because they are sportscars. Luckily, personally I am not at all a die hard fanatic or defending my own Esprit's errors at all. And I nearly never lie.

I think some of you are right: I think that Lotus passed some great chances.

Suv's? Pah...

Kind regards,

Jacques

.... at 1680 kilograms,

The Evija is only slightly heavier than my 30 year old Esprit at 1231 Kilo (no fuel),

and only slightly heavier than an Exige S at 933 kilo (no fuel),

while the Exige S was offered at around 1500000 dkr, the Esprit Turbo SE was sold at 1653000 dkr, 

The Evija is priced at only 40000000 dkr, which to the observant reader, is only slightly more expensive.

I'd say simplify, then add lightness.

Then there are all the little duracells inside it that will some day run flat, and to which there are currently no solution of how to propperly  dispose of, where as my 30 year old Esprit, I simply do a burnout, and voila, the tanks are empty. Toyota, the worlds biggest car manufacturer, came up with the idea of using all the burnt out batterycells from electric cars, to pair with solar cells to power all the 7-11 shops in Japan. Hmm, if by 2030 the majority are going to be driving electric cars, we can then expect quite a lot more 7-11 shops on each and every street corner.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/6/20951807/electric-vehicles-battery-recycling

But then it's getting serious, as 27% of emmisions from a cow is CO2. With 1,5 billion cows on the planet, each letting out 2300 kilogram CO2 each year which is 3450012  kilogram of CO2, my Esprit makes a max of 313 gr/km, and since I drive some 2500 km per year on average, that makes a total of 782,5 Kilogram of CO2 per year.

That means that I will have to have a total amount of 4408945687 Esprits driving my distance, each year, all driving at the same time, to equal the amount of CO2 the cows make. This equals to half of Planet Earths population in 2019 each driving a 30 year old Lotus Esprit Turbo SE. The total amount of Esprits ever made, will make 8353187,5 kilogram of CO2 each year driving my distance per year, and that will take all of the 10675 Esprits ever made, 413016 years to produce the same amount of CO2, that the collective population of cows makes in 1 year.

Since I am a vegetarian and have been so most of my life, I make no CO2 from cows incl. if I don't do diary products from cows, which means I can drive nearly 3 years in my Esprit for every cow I don't eat. My Esprit, the Corrado G60 and Laverda SFC1000 makes a total of 2 years of driving for every cow I don't eat. Than means I produce only half the CO2 while driving all 3 vehicles. So driving my Lotus is 3 times more CO2 efficient than eating a cow.

Hmm... Now I understand Lotus need to drop the Esprit, Elise, Exige and Evora, and make an Evija instead. Makes perfect sense.

But a nice picture it certainly is. It's going to be a great car.

Jacques

• Like 1

Can you please quantify that into the 16oz rump with chips, side salad and onions rings together with a shed load of cider I’m gonna have Saturday night please 👍

• Haha 1

Only here once

The point here Barry, was to demonstrate how silly it is to drop the curent program and make ev's. Lotus should just not make ugly little suv's possibly electric driven, and compete with every single other car maker, but stick to their ethos.

Kind regards,

jacques

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Pits said:

Sadly it’s the other way around at Porsche dealers. The customers are the ones sucking up to the dealers, buying cars they don’t even want to get on their obnoxious ’preferred customer list’ they figure it will all be worth it when they can start flipping  the latest GT car for a quick tax free profit.

Just shows what dumb asses they are then.

Cars are very, very, rarely an investment when new. Much better ways to invest exist.

This just confirms to me that Porsche is more about street cred. Lotus is for those who actually want to use their cars.

But of course. I admit my bias.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

21 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Cars are very, very, rarely an investment when new

Porsche GT cars, eg the 911 991 GT3 and Cayman GT4 were being flipped for an easy £50k when they were launched. If you got one, as Jonny says, it's a quick and easy tax free profit but you do have to be on the dealers' 'golden' list to get your hands on one. That's one (of many) reasons I'd never entertain buying and owning a Porsche. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Got that Bibs and understood that, hence why I said very, very rarely. However, how much did they lose on the lesser shite they had to buy to get on the list in the first place?  Also, my understanding is that Porsche take a very dim view of the flippers so it becomes harder to stay a "special" customer if you do that. It's just like a bloody Ponzi scheme to be honest.....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

28 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Porsche GT cars, eg the 911 991 GT3 and Cayman GT4 were being flipped for an easy £50k when they were launched. If you got one, as Jonny says, it's a quick and easy tax free profit but you do have to be on the dealers' 'golden' list to get your hands on one. That's one (of many) reasons I'd never entertain buying and owning a Porsche. 

Well I've just gone and bought the missus a 718 for Xmas and I'm a lotus die-hard..

I would have loved to put her in a lotus but there is nothing suitable in the current range for her needs as a 2 seater sports daily driver that can be used without having compromise... I didn't take two thoughts about it, there was no contest.

If lotus want to widen their appeal to more of the market then they are going to have to change part of their philosophy at least in certain models they make in the futrue, adding weight and tech (and ease of use) doesn't mean it looses the "lotus" connection you have with the road. The Evora is testament to that already, weighty yes but still a driver's car at heart, just a shame it didn't sell better from the start. 

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

This just confirms to me that Porsche is more about street cred. Lotus is for those who actually want to use their cars

I'd argue the exact opposite... 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheKevlarKid said:

I'd argue the exact opposite... 

I probably should have said drive as it was meant to be driven...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

@TheKevlarKid was the new Alpine in the running at all?  Or are they all sold out due to the limited numbers?

not at all, the only other thing I looked at was a Golf/AudiS3/RS3 as she likes the hatchbacks but presented with this car it was again no contest.

It's a surprise pessie for the missus, not me. She will have never heard of a Alpine...

It's the lowest power version they do (300hp), guards red, shit loads of options (wheels, heated steering, bose etc etc) due to being the dealer demo, 19 plate, they stuck another 12 months warranty on it so it's got 3.25 yrs all for 43k. the missus will never asked or even think about how much power it has,all she will see it's a red porsche, it looks great, it has nice wheels, the roof comes down at the touch of a button, it can get her shopping in with relative ease, she can get in it with relative ease and it plays radio4 on the stereo... Not my bag (give me a pick-up for the week and a lotus for teh evenings and weekends), but for her its going to bring a tear.

Lotus need something in their stable that can do the same, hubby has the raw weekend driving machine, missus has the attractive everyday useable.

Edited by TheKevlarKid
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TheKevlarKid said:

not at all, the only other thing I looked at was a Golf/AudiS3/RS3 as she likes the hatchbacks but presented with this car it was again no contest.

Lotus need something in their stable that can do the same, hubby has the raw weekend driving machine, missus has the attractive everyday useable.

What about a Ferrari FF? Did not make the list? Sounds like a good alternative the above? Or maybe you just don’t live the wife that much (I mean the how much of an FF).

i think lotus could definitely do something in that space, they have forms.