free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 97 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

On 28/04/2020 at 08:41, mg4lotus said:

I see a lot of posts on here talking about the new Esprit. I'm probably being naïve, but why isn't the Evora the new Esprit?

Cause it wasn't meant to be an esprit successor from its very inception.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lotus staff got free hot drinks vending machines back in August, was a very welcome move and much appreciated from the people who work there. Sometimes the little things can make a big difference 👍

Maybe, time will tell. I am starting to think that I am out of kilter with the majority (nothing new there I suppose) but all this talk of electric, luxury, etc and I can't help but feel we are going

Selling 6 cars instead of 5 in China would be a 20% increase. There really is nothing to celebrate at this moment in time beyond Lotus's survival but hopefully it will start to make some kind of sense

Posted Images

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, The Pits said:

Which would you personally prefer and be more likely to buy? £55k basic Cayman competitor or £100+k junior supercar?

My first thought was basic Cayman competitor ~55k.  But then I corrected myself because I don't want a Cayman competitor per-say, I want a Lotus albeit, with usable every day capacity and I want it to have interesting and innovative design ideas and not be 'corporately' styled like all Porsches.  The podcast from a few days back was both interesting and momentously dull at the same time.

So picking up from previous posts in this thread.  It has been several years now and I have to say we're simply not getting the information that should be coming from the management team now.  I am honestly thinking that they don't yet have clarity on what they want to Lotus to be; its corporately fueled with masses of cash yes, but not charismatically led.  This Lotus DNA isn't just car dynamics.  Its a charm, an embodiment of charismatic, enthusiastic and passionate* personalities that started with Colin Chapman.

*about cars people!

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM
7 minutes ago, Techyd said:

I am honestly thinking that they don't yet have clarity on what they want to Lotus to be; its corporately fuelled with masses of cash yes, but not charismatically led.  This Lotus DNA isn't just car dynamics.  Its a charm, an embodiment of charismatic, enthusiastic and passionate* personalities that started with Colin Chapman.

*about cars people!

100% absolutely, in my humble opinion, spot on, totally correct. We are not saying Popham and others are not good or great people. But they come across as "Corporate People" (again not a bad thing). 

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

40 minutes ago, The Pits said:

I think there are endemic problems within our big corporations and the sort of people that succeed in these environments. Chapman type characters probably wouldn't do very well within a large corporation, they don't play the game and haven't got the patience for the procrastination and meetings about meetings. In my experience it's often the people that aren't especially talented but are smart enough to know their limitations that often thrive. They quickly work out how to survive on bluff and bluster and know exactly when to keep their mouths shut and who's arse to kiss. The proliferation of buzz words is a perfect example. They're a way of making you sound more clever than you are, that you know more than anyone else. The core competency here being the ability to level-up by picking the low-hanging fruit to really get the ideation needle moving.

Astute observations. I’d echo those comments having worked in medium to larger size organisations. 

You just have to go one better don't you! 😁 Stick that on your CV and send it in to Lotus, just what they're looking for!

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

You forgot that we "need to fully leverage our assets, mobilise our talent pool, to ensure that we have aligned the goals, optimised our ducks, so they are all lined up, along the shaft of the arrow, to create a lazer focus on our target and maximise our opportunities to obfuscate the real outcome. We are seeking to drive value to our whole stakeholder groups whilst securing a net zero carbon neutral outcome for the new normal world of tomorrow that will deliver exponential benefits for our customers and ensure a product that delivers, for the drivers, and their passengers, and Costa and Starbucks, through a ruggedised repository for cardboard vessels of hot liquid".  Then shut up, sit back, and watch everyone go wow and nod their heads in agreement at the outstanding strategy that you have just not clearly articulated.

Get this man a promotion, he really knows his stuff!!

• Like 2

Dear god, I really do despair! Not about you Andy, but some of the other terminally pessimistic characters on here. One in particular! 🙈

Anyone heard from Andy lately? Quiet around here without him.

Anyhoo, who wants a Cayman/Alpine rival at £60k?

Or would you prefer a jnr McLaren at £110k?

Assume amazing styling, Lotus dynamics, ICE engine and more daily useability applies equally to both.

Childish posts removed.

If you can't discuss this issue respectfully and sensibly please exercise some restraint instead. 

Not a point for discussion, now back on topic please. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

On 28/04/2020 at 10:39, C8RKH said:

Well, Defender's have always been trendy around the county tweed set where I live, and Range Rovers too.  It's a bit like Burberry and Harris Tweed, as the gentrification of the countryside has influenced people's thinking on lifestyle etc. Obviously also helped by footballers and their wives driving the bloody things too.

I'd hate Lotus to be a fashion accessory but then as others have said there are alternative fashion brands to buy. Porsche being one. I will say though that the shift upmarket in terms of following the fashion hasn't really helped Maserati long term has it?

Macca 570GT, nice interior and exterior colour combo. Only 850 miles from new. £113k at a Macca dealer, but reckon I could get it for £100 - £105k.  That is what Lotus is going to up against as it moves up the hierarchy...

mclaren-570gt-436580239-6.jpg

mclaren-570gt-436580239-11.jpg

Fantastic car 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, The Pits said:

Anyone heard from Andy lately? Quiet around here without him.

Anyhoo, who wants a Cayman/Alpine rival at £60k?

Or would you prefer a jnr McLaren at £110k?

Assume amazing styling, Lotus dynamics, ICE engine and more daily useability applies equally to both.

I’ve said this before, but lotus should be able to make something in the £60k-£80k price range which could compete with the mclaren on performance. 

Lotus customers have already proven they are not too fussed about practicality/refinement.

How much more would it cost lotus to create a new exige with a supercharged V8 for ~550bhp, but otherwise relatively similar to the current platform. 

Not a chance IMHO. The customer you mention is not sufficient in number to sustain the company, and the margin in a 60-80K hand built car will be too little without massive volume.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I think the problem at the 100k mark is,as others have mentioned ,the competition .

yes ,existing lotus owners ,at this price point, would probably stick with lotus- Trying to entice a new customer base at this price point- I’m not so sure.

But would you spend £153K+ on a limited run Alfa Romeo Giulia GTA even with 533horses?

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

I think the new Giulia GTA is terrific but not at that price. Especially when I can get a really nice used 510bhp QF, for well under £40k. Very frustrating we can't get the manual version but otherwise that's pretty much my ideal daily runner. If I had to choose one car that would probably be it. I hope the GTA is a success, fantastic to see Alfa making cars like that. I'm also a big admirer of the thunderous Jaguar XE Project 8, even more performance at a similar price but that has not been the success Jaguar were hoping for.

Getting back to selling Lotus past £100k it does seem like a tall order right now but again that's because there has been no attempt as yet to explain and persuade why anyone should spend that on a Lotus and what they'll get for it if they do.

As posted on another thread Toyota had a mountain to climb to compete with Mercedes and BMW when they introduced the Lexus LS400. It's a great automotive story actually. Toyota had to build a brand from scratch that could compete with long established and respected car brands, steeped in heritage and renouned for their engineering quality. It has often been said that the Mercedes Benz S class is consistently the best engineered car in the world. It was audacious to say the least to have a go at that at your first attempt. It cost Toyota a fortune but they laid the groundwork well in advance of the launch. A great international print campaign took ownership of something all the car makers were doing - continuous improvement. The japanese term for it - Kaizen - sounded more exotic, ritualistic and meticulous, they centred on that and boiled it down to: The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection. The engineers gave them great stories of real innovation to talk about. But above all they didn't limit their aim to catching-up with the europeans, a big enough ambition and task. Lead engineer Ichiro Suzuki was hellbent on beating them. In key target areas he succeeded. The late 80's Mercedes 420SE's cabin noise was measured at 63db at 62mph and 78 db at 124mph. The Lexus LS400 was significantly quieter inside at speed with 58db at 62mph and 73db at 124mph.

Incredible achievement that Lotus would be wise to study. In terms of image, association and reputation Lotus have a similar mountain to climb. McLaren took a huge stride forward as a road car maker with the F1. The Evija shows similar audacity and ambition which is great to see, I hope it does something similar for Lotus. But as it stands the people out there who are indifferent towards Lotus need to be convinced.

• Like 1
  • Bibs featured and unfeatured this topic