free hit
counters
Future of Lotus - Page 99 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

That's exactly what the GT430 offers in my opinion. It might not match the Exige 430 for ultimate lap time but it runs it very close. Closer than it has any right to given a weight penalty of over 200kg. Exige is only faster through superior power:weight, it shows up mostly on the brakes in my experience and the Evora was actually the more benign, balanced and composed car on the limit. This is of course subject to the set up of the Exige Cup 430 I drove, I'm sure it could be improved by someone who knew what they were doing with the dampers.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Selling 6 cars instead of 5 in China would be a 20% increase. There really is nothing to celebrate at this moment in time beyond Lotus's survival but hopefully it will start to make some kind of sense

Maybe, time will tell. I am starting to think that I am out of kilter with the majority (nothing new there I suppose) but all this talk of electric, luxury, etc and I can't help but feel we are going

Having spoken to a few of the long time Lotus guys still at Hethal i can confirm my LOVE for Lotus is back on the straight and narrow, Jaguars/McLarens are not for me!  I just need to have more p

Posted Images

Oh nice video you made there, not seen that before, thanks for sharing.  Hmm I guess what I want is already here then? 🤔  Errmmm... can I have more of then 😀

On a serious note, I guess I'd like Lotus to make a more refined (from an engineering point of view not comfort or refinement of that kind) and a properly updated version of the Evora GT430 not just a little tweak here and there.

It is genuinely is amazing what they can do with a drive train really not designed for this packaging and performance level and how good a 10 year old chassis design can happily cope with adding an extra 50% more power than it originally was launched with and compete with the best cars in the world.

But I'm sure there's all kinds of extra performance gains or weight loss opportunities if the engineers had components properly designed for the packaging they intend.  I bet if they were allowed to create a new chassis and drivetrain they could find significant gains on top of the amazing levels they are currently achieving.

Now I'm no automotive engineer so that ask maybe out of reach for a car costing £100K or only achievable by selling the volumes Porchse do but I would love for Lotus to start manufacturing cars with less packaging compromises and having to use their ingenuity to work around and reduce the compromises.  It would be great if the engineers could focus more of their efforts on performance rather than work arounds.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I fear that the dreaded "committees" are watering down things already, to an extent where we get washed out "renders" of new editions (they all had a black interior did they not on the external shots?).  I am sure they have a strategy that they are executing, however, for the real Lotus enthusiast and fan boys and girls the last 2 years has been painful with little (other than the stonking if we are honest) Evija - but that is a $2m hyper Halo car that most traditional owners will never be able to afford - I am not aware of anyone on here having placed an order, I am aware of one or two who boasted that they could place an order on Seloc. I am sure everyone who can and does buy one will be delighted with it. The other 99.9% just need to be more patient I guess. Oh, and still no news re a dealer or servicing option (Approved) for owners in Scotland which has been, and is, a solid base for Lotus ownership and support. I believe for a couple of years at least Murray's sold more Evora's than any other UK dealer for instance.

The Lotus Elise Classic Heritage Edition Is The Lightweight Throwback You Need

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I think the actual production of New Cars/New Editions has been delayed because of Coronavirus - hence its necessary to resort to CGI - but at least we can appreciate what they'll look like to a greater extent.

Perhaps I'm an optimist - but I see this all as somehow building momentum to a big reveal - by getting the Lotus name i front of the public again. The Evija was a big 'spike' in the Lotus interest levels when it was announced - and there has been 'updates' on that. Popham is giving interviews hinting at the future direction of Lotus (albeit I'm still unclear if its hybrid or EV - I personally hope the latter), the the 'leaked' new Esprit Photo's, the Heritage Elise Collection, the announcement with Centrica and then some more about the Evija's aerodynamics. It's all keeping the 'Lotus' name in the news which can help build momentum for the new car.

Hopefully, the recent activity and announcement will mean that a reveal isn't too far off 🤞

Corona virus excuse will be used to get them out of jail with Geely who would be giving them some serious hairdryer treatment. The numbers must look apocalyptic. It’s very unlikely that they have sold many Evijas to date, lovely as it is. But delays and inactivity were well underway long before the virus showed up.

Anyone who buys a Lotus must be an optimist almost by definition! I still hope for the best and always will but Lotus racing and road cars have been a lifelong passion of mine. I happen to believe that Lotus are capable of making better drivers cars than Porsche and Ferrari. That actually comes from first hand experience. I bought into the hype around Ferrari briefly and traded a Lotus Carlton for an F355. It remains the biggest disappointment of my automotive life. I sold it and bought an Esprit V8 GT and back to back comparison was overwhelmingly in favour of the Esprit in every regard, measurable and unmeasurable - apart from the posing in London/wealth statement angle perhaps. The Esprit wasn't as well finished in some areas but it was half the price of a new F355 at the time, on another level dynamically and so much faster in a straight line it wasn't even funny. So that was all the convincing I needed that Lotus have gifted engineers who really know what they're doing. I have never looked back since and have remained wary of motoring press/internet hype around certain cars and brands. For me, the rest promised so much while Lotus quietly delivered.

I only want the very best for Lotus but have yet to be convinced that it's what they're getting. This really is the last chance to transform the company into a major player and it won't happen without an inspired vision, massive investment and endless reserves of passion for Lotus - past, present and future.

• Like 1

This is pure speculation on my behalf ... But I'd say no not all of them are loss leaders.  I'd think as a general rule of thumb a lot of hyper cars designed by well established brands as a halo car are usually loss leaders.  The Bugatti Veyron was sold at a loss, the VW group wanted it to be a showcase of their engineering skills.  I don't know if the later models created profit or not. The Lexus LFA was sold at a loss, again was supposed to be an example of their engineering skills. 

But these days we are seeing more and more hyper cars and manufacturers being announced.  I think a lot of these companies are funded by venture capitalist firms whose sole aim in life is to make more profit.  So think these cars will have to make a profit or if its a part of a longer strategy of establishing the brand first and releasing a updated new model afterwards, then they may make a slight loss but they'll have to keep the losses low to ensure they have enough left in the bank to complete the next model that will generate the profit.

• Gold FFM
10 minutes ago, PAR said:

No. All depending on how many they sell those. Such products have been very profitable for McLaren and Aston Martin.

This in spades. I believe for many of the recent "halo" cars the margin was in excess of 50%!  As a result I suspect they recovered the development costs fully.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I know this is from the Evija, but I truly do hope Lotus are brave enough to eschew the "I need a 12inch IPad in my dash brigade" and develop the new cars interiors along these lines were to me, less, is most definitely more, for a sports car.

image.thumb.png.f1450afbbf1301c2e3aba143756e3e96.png

• Gold FFM

Yes, but no mirrors on the back (if you look at the picture you can just see the visors)

9 hours ago, The Pits said:

Regardless, expensively engineered thoroughly developed and optimised versions of what we already have is a compelling thought. It was a chance squandered by Dany Bahar. Sadly I fear the crowd we have now have very different priorities and little appreciation of the current cars. I don’t think we’ll see lower, longitudinal mounted more engines for instance, I still dream about an Elise with the GT86 flat four but I don’t think they would see the business case for it or believe anyone really cares where engines go, as the 911 continues to prove. But by happy accident we might just get a last update on the current cars with more modern Volvo sourced interior switchgear. I did wonder if the Elise announcement last week was going to feature some new interior parts at the very least but it wasn’t to be. Another missed opportunity to move things on but new crowd just will not invest time or money in the current cars.

Complete agree Jonny @The Pits with both your most recent posts, but the above is the one reason I was underwhelmed with the Elise announcement.  I very much believe there is a market for the Elise, its more relevant today than it was when launched so wouldn't have cost too much to bring up to date, surely?  Your imaginary Elise above would have been epic.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
Posted (edited)

Volvo developed a 4.4ltr V8 in conjunction with Yamaha - the B8444S. It is used in a number of cars, including the Noble M600 where it is longitudinally mounted, develops around 650 PS (478 kW; 641 hp) and oh boy, if there was just the slightest possibility I'd be in the boys room for a while!!! :)

Yeah, an electric version would be faster but I would not give a flying f..k! The last Esprit was a V8, the last Evora as a V8....  I know, I know, I shouldn't have opened that second bottle of wine so early......  Leave me alone. I've obviously got lock down fever.

Edited by Bibs
  • Like 2

Exciting idea but would probably end up with a huge price tag and there’s something about uncontrollable savagery that doesn’t quite sit right when it comes to a Lotus. Isn’t being over-chassis’d part of the Lotus way of doing things? I guess Evija is about to change all of that. The speculated 500bhp sounds instinctively  like it would make a better balanced package than 640bhp V8. But very happy to be proved wrong on that!

• Like 1

I think they do better maybe 2 better...  they should ask Toyota if they have the V10 they used for the Lexus LFA! I think was developed by Yamaha too?

• Like 1

Lotus has an entry-level model under development for a debut in late 2020 or early 2021, and company CEO Phil Popham says it's the company's last combustion-powered model, according to an interview with Automotive News Europe. The automaker projects prices to from £55,000 to £100,000 ($61,600 to $123,000) at current exchange rates.

"Our focus now is on sports cars, but we do think the brand has the potential to move into other segments. And Geely has expertise in areas such as electrification and autonomous driving," Popham told Automotive News Europe.

As I'm unlikely to be in the market when these models are slated to come out, I think I'll not be holding out hopes of buying a new Lotus ever again on this note. 😢

"electrification and autonomous driving" ≠  "For the Drivers"

• Gold FFM

Oh boy. I lovin' this ICE love in!  Hahaha, where are the electric jockeys now? Your day is tomorrow, leave us to enjoy our day today!   

Peace brothers. And sisters. And those still undecided.

By the way, Aldi done a fine Barbaresco ( Roversi, Piedmont, 2015). The second bottle going down better than the first. If this carries on I'll be sat on the patio shortly, with a crackin' half Churchill, going vroom, vroom, blubber, blubber.  Got another bottle slightly chillin' away just in case....

• Bibs featured and unfeatured this topic