free hit
counters
Eclat 507 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have no idea Robert, but if the that is the car is question for sale, purchase it now, it looks lovely with period style aftermarket alloys alloys and the colour and paintwork look really nice in the pics,  2.0 four pot engines can be picked up for peanuts even from traders.   I love the elite but the eclat still looks nice, not as nice as the elite on the rear end but good looking still the same,  The bronze one on ebay looks nice also, but not in as good condtion as this. 

Get round and bag it asap or you will regret it  :thumbup:

A

There is no such car as an Eclat 507. From memory, the S1 Eclats were numbered 520-523, and the S1 Elites were 501-504 - the number defines the specification.

The car in the picture looks like an S1 (it has the S1 doors) but has been fitted with an S2 front spoiler. It does look nice but you really need to look closely at it - both the overall condition and the extent and quality of any modifications.

Good luck, Richard

• Like 1

That's a 520.

They came with steel wheels, smaller discs (elan/GT6) 2 post brake calipers and a 4 speed box. Also had a single exhaust. S1 eclats are numbered 520-521, with only the 520 being significantly different from its elite brethern. a 501 elite is the same spec as a 521 eclat.

Ive seen that car for sale before. I've also seen it for sale recently advertised as coming with a vauxhall slant 4 from a bedford CF.

It has clearly donated it's engine to something, or suffered an engine failure. Deserves to be saved.

As usual - chassis condition is the kicker.

• Like 1

What are the common rust points on the elite,eclats etc,  like on the esprit its the exhaust manifold area but what about these cars, or is it all over the place on the pre galvanized ones such as suspension pick up points etc ?

A

Sructural areas are really rear cross member above the diff, front suspension towers, front suspension arb outrigger triangulation. Not chassis, but rear trailing arms can go.

Cheers Duncan,  Jesus did not know they could go so bad, but i suppose expected given no rust protection. :(

A

11 hours ago, Dunc said:

That's a 520.

They came with steel wheels, smaller discs (elan/GT6) 2 post brake calipers and a 4 speed box. Also had a single exhaust. S1 eclats are numbered 520-521, with only the 520 being significantly different from its elite brethern. a 501 elite is the same spec as a 521 eclat.

Ive seen that car for sale before. I've also seen it for sale recently advertised as coming with a vauxhall slant 4 from a bedford CF.

It has clearly donated it's engine to something, or suffered an engine failure. Deserves to be saved.

As usual - chassis condition is the kicker.

So effectively the 520 is a bog basic car? It does come with a bedford cf engine, not what I know what that is, but it does not sound like a 160hp lump to me! The car is in the back end of Norfolk which is a fair treck, it would be impossible to know what the chassis is like until the car is bought (and stripped down). However, in some ways I disagree, galv. chassis are available for less than 1K, but if you are rebuilding a car a good interior, gearbox  and even trim are just as relevant. I have just had a quote for two door window frames and it is more than I paid for a galvanised chassis! 

I have asked for a photo of the engine bay, we will see!

• Like 1

Needs engine mounts and a bespoke exhaust which will not be cheap. The interior shows vents in the dash by the doors - is this a 520 trait? My R Reg 1976 Elite doesn't have these vents?

I have contacted the vendor as I'm only 20 miles away but personally don't think I can afford it to do up. It looks like a very good source of body/interior parts but that would be a crime IMO.

My own project is, as expected, turning into a bit of a money pit, in spite of being complete and in decent nick (for a non runner). I would want to put a lotus engine back into this and then if it has the 4 speed ford box (not sure as current owner doesn't know?) it will not be a cheap sort out.

Tempting though.....but the wife would have my balls me thinks........

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

5 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Needs engine mounts and a bespoke exhaust which will not be cheap. The interior shows vents in the dash by the doors - is this a 520 trait? My R Reg 1976 Elite doesn't have these vents?

I have contacted the vendor as I'm only 20 miles away but personally don't think I can afford it to do up. It looks like a very good source of body/interior parts but that would be a crime IMO.

My own project is, as expected, turning into a bit of a money pit, in spite of being complete and in decent nick (for a non runner). I would want to put a lotus engine back into this and then if it has the 4 speed ford box (not sure as current owner doesn't know?) it will not be a cheap sort out.

Tempting though.....but the wife would have my balls me thinks........

Ha ha, we both may have our balls on the table then!  

I hope that means that you are buying this car Robert , Will be nice to see another project thread from yourself  :thumbup:

A

Yes, the 520 was the basic car, that said it still came with electric windows, and this one has had alloys retro fitted. Hubs are a ford 108pcd which makes wheel choice a lot easier if you want to move up to 15's to get some proper rubber. Originally it would have ran lotus cortina steel wheels, or optional dealer fit 13 inch alloys. If those gold cross spokes are 13's then you will get nice wide high performace rubber without issues.

I think the Bedford CF used the 2300cc vauxhall slant 4, which bears an uncanny resemblance to the Lotus 907. If it is the slant 4 Vauxhall, it is basically a Chevette HS engine but with a single cam head. I think it was also used in Magnum 2300's?

Why would the 4 speed box create a problem? Just buy a bellhousing from Lotus bits. Or were you thinking to change it?

I agree that paint and trim can be as expensive as metal, and that's what makes this car look like it might have potential.

The vents aren't a 520 thing - some have them, some don't. My eclats both have them (S2 and 520).

Save it. - looks like it deserves to be saved.

nb - some googling suggests in CF van spec that slant four had somethig like 80bhp, but loads of torque. The same engine, but with different compression/cam/carbs was also used in the Firenza and delivered a healthy 130bhp and 140 lb ft.

Yes, it fits but it would be utterly pointless. Just buy a 907 and make it original. These cars will be desirable sometime soon, but not with a beford van engine.

• Like 1

So this is where the myth about the lotus esprit engine block been from a vauxhall started then :)

A

there are some interesting articles on the net....

The similarities are such that I'm not so sure it was a myth. The 907 was developed from the 904, which used a Vauxhall cast block.

When you factor in that Vauxhall were using a twin cam 16v head for their competition cars - I wonder if that was perhaps "externally developed" for Vauxhall by someone else? No evidence as such, but the similarities between the engines are striking.

• Like 1

I seem to remember there being quite a good write up of the 9xx engines in a recent book I bought - possible Lotus Elite, Eclat and Excel: An Enthusiast's Guide by Matthew Vale?

2 hours ago, Dunc said:

there are some interesting articles on the net....

The similarities are such that I'm not so sure it was a myth. The 907 was developed from the 904, which used a Vauxhall cast block.

When you factor in that Vauxhall were using a twin cam 16v head for their competition cars - I wonder if that was perhaps "externally developed" for Vauxhall by someone else? No evidence as such, but the similarities between the engines are striking.

Well in theory I have bought the car, this is the story of the vauxhall engine on wikipedia.

Lotus 900 series engines[edit]

It is said that when Vauxhall unveiled its new slant-four engine at the 1966 Earls Court Motor Show its bore centers were exactly the same as those proposed by Lotus for their new all-alloy engine. Lotus boss Colin Chapman immediately negotiated a deal with Vauxhall to buy some of their cast-iron blocks so that development of Lotus’ own aluminum 907 engine could be sped up.

The design became the basis for the Lotus 2.0 and 2.2 engines used in a wide variety of sports cars, but the basic block was cast in aluminium alloy instead of iron, which made it considerably lighter. The Lotus engine also used a different cylinder head of light alloy, featuring double overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. The engines were so close in design that, with a few modifications, the Lotus head can be fitted to the Vauxhall block; engines with Lotus heads were used in Vauxhall's dealer team race and rally programmes until the late 1970s.

• Like 2

well done Bob - £1020 - damn good price.

Your Balls must be bigger than mine, however I claim self defence, the wife being a surgeon is bloody good with a scalpel!

• Like 2

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Awesome news Robert, congrats on the purchase,  I think you stole it at that kind of money imo . :thumbup:

A

Congrats and good look with getting her back on the road!

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

well done Bob , I was the other bidder , glad you got it though , I think one more lotus would have had me heading for a divorce !!

• Like 2

This was the article I had in mind when I made the post above:

http://www.annteak.com/prototype-lotus-907/

I'm not a great believer in co-incidences. For the engine to have exactly the same bore dimensions seems a little bit too unlikely to be "an accident". Especially when you consider Lotus had already built the 904 race engine for the Europa, before embarking on the development of the 907.

There are some interesting pre-production differences in the prototype 907 in the link, note the distributor and oil pump design, the cam tower box and the rather home made looking inlet manifold - nice to see the actual development work of  Mr Rudd in pictures. :-)

11 hours ago, biggee said:

well done Bob , I was the other bidder , glad you got it though , I think one more lotus would have had me heading for a divorce !!

I am pleased that it has not been bought by somebody who will break it for spares (however I have not seen it yet), however it has not been bought without cost, my wife has her eyes on a new horse!! If it is not what I hope it to be it will come up for sale a bit closer to the midlands. Bob

10 hours ago, Dunc said:

This was the article I had in mind when I made the post above:

http://www.annteak.com/prototype-lotus-907/

I'm not a great believer in co-incidences. For the engine to have exactly the same bore dimensions seems a little bit too unlikely to be "an accident". Especially when you consider Lotus had already built the 904 race engine for the Europa, before embarking on the development of the 907.

There are some interesting pre-production differences in the prototype 907 in the link, note the distributor and oil pump design, the cam tower box and the rather home made looking inlet manifold - nice to see the actual development work of  Mr Rudd in pictures. :-)

Dunc, your knowledge is without ends! Where does it come from? Bob

He could tell you Robert,   but then he would have to kill you !   :P

A

12 hours ago, Farmer Bob said:

I am pleased that it has not been bought by somebody who will break it for spares (however I have not seen it yet), however it has not been bought without cost, my wife has her eyes on a new horse!! If it is not what I hope it to be it will come up for sale a bit closer to the midlands. Bob

Interesting , keep me posted please .