free hit
counters
Disc brakes : heat cracks - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello ,

After the last trackday, I have some cracks on the discs (front only). These are OEM discs with PFC08 pads. 

I have 4 track days booked for April. The question is : should I change the discs now or can I wait ?

20170305_120530_web.jpg

20170305_120612.jpg

20170305_120536_web.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You will develop stress cracks on any rotor used on track after a time, whether coss-drilled or grooved, and usually much earlier than when you reach the minimum thickness for wear.   I've been i

The Kobra4 is based on a PFC system ... PFC is amongst the very best you can get and so is the Kobra4 - probably the best upgrade for me so far. Dont know the other Kit btw     

I have decided to go with discs proposed by Komotec : photo   Thanks to KT for the reactivity and to answer to my stupid questions.    

Posted Images

thank you for your feedback @NW76 @550superfast. considering the cost of a track day I want to enjoy them without being worried about the discs..

@NW76 : http://komo-tec.com/Shop/en/Exige/MK3-Toyota-V6/Brakes/Brakesystem-Ko-Bra-4-Exige-S-V6.html this model ?

Edited by geartox
1 hour ago, geartox said:

thank you for your feedback @NW76 @550superfast. considering the cost of a track day I want to enjoy them without being worried about the discs..

@NW76 : http://komo-tec.com/Shop/en/Exige/MK3-Toyota-V6/Brakes/Brakesystem-Ko-Bra-4-Exige-S-V6.html this model ?

I also offer a few discs for the V6

332 fixed bells fronts and rears

332 floating bells ( fronts) fixed rears

343 floating bell fronts and 343 fixed bell rears.

All are competitively priced  and use the full size front pads rather than the smaller rear pads.....

Edited by Seriouslylotus

I don't know if the PFC08 pads have causing "abnormal" damaged to the OEM discs. The discs are one year old.

And  I have  spare parts of PFC08 pads front and rear.

Edited by geartox

They don't look too bad really, I've seen worse, most cars that are raced look like that before long. Not many road cars used on trackdays though, that's good going!

But you clearly like to lean on your anchors so why not go for an upgrade I guess.

22 hours ago, geartox said:

This: http://komo-tec.com/Shop/en/Exige/MK3-Toyota-V6/Brakes/Brake-Kit-Ko-Bra4-4-Exige-S-V6.html

its PFC Disc, Bells and Pads ... I didnt know PFC before but now I know what I actually got ... Porsche doesnt use their brakes when they race in LeMans the use PFC ?

My OEM drilled two-piece rotors are starting to look the same, unfortunately. Par for the course with crossed-drilled discs on track. Grooved are much preferred. 10 or 11 days on standard pads, 2 on PF08.

I have decided to go with discs proposed by Komotec :

photo

Thanks to KT for the reactivity and to answer to my stupid questions.

Edited by geartox
  • Like 2

great !

I will ask to my local lotus dealer to install it now :) 

Not sure I am ready to replace it myself :P

Edited by geartox
12 hours ago, geartox said:

great !

I will ask to my local lotus dealer to install it now :) 

Not sure I am ready to replace it myself :P

We also now offer an Exige V6 343mm Big brake kit.....The kit is supplied with fully floating front disc bells fitted with anti rattle clips.

https://www.seriouslylotus.com/special-offers/exige-s3-v6/exige-v6-343mm-big-brake-kit

Here is a picture of the front disc inside a standard Exige wheel (careful attention is required with the wheel weigh positioning!!!)

IMG_20170216_152848 (1).jpg

Edited by Seriouslylotus
47 minutes ago, NANO said:

How many of you have placed (mounted) tubes of braided brake ( I hope translated right ) ?
Where appropriate; what brand? Goodridge ?
Is worth ?

Cheers

The V6 has braided hoses fitted in production.

So no they are not a part you need to find or fit!!!!

I am running Ko bra Kit from KT and I am quite happy with the performance 

Pads are PFC 08 as you probably now.

They are for sure a long lasting pad and never found fading at track. 

On the other hand I find the compound quite hard. Do you agree with me? 

How are Pagid pads comparing whit PFC?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2017 at 10:40, The Pits said:

They don't look too bad really, I've seen worse, most cars that are raced look like that before long. Not many road cars used on trackdays though, that's good going!

But you clearly like to lean on your anchors so why not go for an upgrade I guess.

I've cracked slotted Alcon 343mm 2-piece disc (on a much heavier car than Lotus though) in the first session of the Goldtrack trackday at Goodwood. That was somewhat disappoinitng to say the list. :cry:

+1 to changing these to slotted. :blush:

So disks have been installed. But take care with wheel balancing, the free space between the caliper and the interior of the wheel is really small.

Good side effects : better brake power and no more noise with pfc08 pads.

On 4/5/2017 at 21:01, vd9 said:

I've cracked slotted Alcon 343mm 2-piece disc (on a much heavier car than Lotus though) in the first session of the Goldtrack trackday at Goodwood. That was somewhat disappoinitng to say the list. :cry:

+1 to changing these to slotted. :blush:

Welcome to TLF Victor. :welcome:

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

On 3/6/2017 at 12:06, NW76 said:

This: http://komo-tec.com/Shop/en/Exige/MK3-Toyota-V6/Brakes/Brake-Kit-Ko-Bra4-4-Exige-S-V6.html

its PFC Disc, Bells and Pads ... I didnt know PFC before but now I know what I actually got ... Porsche doesnt use their brakes when they race in LeMans the use PFC ?

Porsche doesn't manufacture ANY brake components.  Brembo/AP usually make all their OEM pieces.  PFC that are made for racing like the Brembo/AP are a whole different story.  PFC's claim to fame of ZERO DRAG is a ripoff of another company..But they work.

You don't need holes.  They were used in the 70's to allow the brake pads to outgas while very hot.  They don't do that anymore because most pads are "baked" to cook off all the excess resins.  The cracks you see are stress cracks from heat.  Grey Iron is Grey Iron...plus or minus a couple of points of carbon infusion.  Two piece rotors are better because they don't warp and can control heat better..usually.  Get rid of ANY silicon based fluid and RUN ONLY AP racing fluid...That will help a lot in consistency in brake feel.  After every heavy track day session completely flush the system.  That will keep your calipers working optimally.  Also, if you plan on a lot of track days then you should buy a rebuild kit and plan on rebuilding you calipers once a year.

Edited by Bentzion

If the only thing constant is change, then why do we resist change the most?