free hit
counters
Ohlins or SSC Charger ? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Ohlins or SSC Charger ?

Both very close money wise... So lets say you had a few grand in your back pocket, and you was a track monster with a road weekender attitude in the summer, which would you choose. Ohlins TTX or more power from the SSC charger? You can only pick one :)

www.alias23.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Depends where you feel most compromised by the car. If you feel a corner could be taken faster but the suspension set up is letting you down and cannot be tweaked any further the go ohlins but if you feel most frustrated by a lack of power then go that way.

Also depends on which sort of track you prefer. If you enjoy big tracks like silverstone then more power would be beneficial but if you prefer little tracks like blyton park then more power is useless.

Personally I would go for more power but thats because im a big show off and having over 400hp in an exige really appeals to me. Plus the extra power could be used on the road even if only in very short spells but i dont think you would or should ever drive fast enough on the road to get past the ability if the nitrons you already have.

It would be more interesting to see and measure the effect of just swapping in some higher spec dampers but a big jump in power is an easier way to find some more laptime. You might lose a little on corner exit by having to be more patient on the throttle but it should more than make up for it on the straights. It's such a big jump in power to weight with the SSC kit I would be confident that the power would see a bigger improvement in laptime than the Ohlins, if that's what you're after. Still a question mark for me over what happens to the DPM system with more bhp but you can always switch it off. Of course what you really need to make the most of that power is some firmer, higher spec dampers! ;)

• Like 2

I agree... especially considering that you already have the Nitron, go for the power upgrade. It will certainly bring you more laptime. The Ohlins will as well, but probably by far not as much...

The DPM should still work fine... that was a big concern for me when doing the EX460 ... lesson learned is: forget the concern... the DPM is very well programmed and self adjusts for the higher power ... and still is able to correct fast enough w/o having to get to aggressive in corrections...

Is this assuming that one already has a second set of wheels with semi Slicks? That's what I would go for first, then more power. 

SSC :)

im sure I read somewhere that round hethel an Exige is -2 seconds quicker with nitrons over stock and only a further -1 second on top for Ohlins. So you already got 66% of the LapTime gain from current setup 

Edited by RedViper

2 hours ago, RedViper said:

im sure I read somewhere that round hethel an Exige is -2 seconds quicker with nitrons over stock and only a further -1 second on top for Ohlins. So you already got 66% of the LapTime gain from current setup 

Now that is the statistical information that for sure swings a vote for more power!

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

However, I wouldn't be surprised that if one added up all those "2 seconds faster" claims for each new iteration of the Elise platform from the original S1, one might that the current fastest car has finished its lap before it started.... ;)

• Like 1

On 3/6/2017 at 18:02, RedViper said:

Trouble with the factory Nitrons is they are quite badly setup.  I'm yet to be beaten on lap time by an Ohlins shod car... Not say Ohlins are bad, they are terrific dampers but any damper is only as good as the R&D and testing that has gone into it.

4 hours ago, Randy said:

Trouble with the factory Nitrons is they are quite badly setup.  I'm yet to be beaten on lap time by an Ohlins shod car... Not say Ohlins are bad, they are terrific dampers but any damper is only as good as the R&D and testing that has gone into it.

It's the springs and adjustment valve/ needle that are in need of most attention on the factory nitrons!!!!!

Correct spring balance front to rear makes a massive difference!

4 hours ago, Randy said:

Come to spa in your 380 sport and set a time then. ?