free hit
counters
Formula 1 2017 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vettel is a spoiled little brat, that was dangerous too and he shouldn't be getting away with it! 

Cat seems to be enjoying quali...

No idea, did not keep up with it last year, or the year before or the year before that etc,  F1 to me know is completely sxxte and i sadly have no intrest as the cars,drivers, tracks and rules are jus

Posted Images

No idea, did not keep up with it last year, or the year before or the year before that etc,  F1 to me know is completely sxxte and i sadly have no intrest as the cars,drivers, tracks and rules are just so dull,  I would rather watch a scalextrix set for however long the races are on for these days. 

To much money, too little skill and no balls these days imo :(

• Like 2

A

Now that does sound good. Live streaming of scalexric racing with slow motion replays of all the high speed corner rollover flips.

• Like 2

Dave.

Bring the popcorn!

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I can't remember a time where there wasn't a debate or discussion about is F1 exciting or boring. No different with other sports, you either enjoy it or you don't.  

Imagine going for a walk with a metal stick hitting a little white ball into a hole.

Im off to the gym to push heavy things up and down.

Cricket - let's watch a game that could last 5 days and then maybe it's a draw.

Baseball - don't even get me started.

Nascar - they will be turning left, they are turning left, they are turning left again, guess what's going to happen next.

Fishing - sit on the side of a pond for hours, catch a flappy thing, and then let the thing go again. 

At least F1 evolves. Not always in the right direction but it does change. Owners, teams, drivers, rules, tracks, sponcers, livery, engines, tv coverage, even the weather changes make a difference.

This seasons cars 'should' make things different with designs changes and the 2017 cars should look more aggressive but wether it's makes for better racing only time will tell. After all the changes, money spent and gazillions of Man hours spent designing and planning and building, it will still probably be a Hamilton and Mercedes Championship.

• Like 2

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Difference is though Ian,   I have tried golf and hate it, and always will,   I love playing football and always will,   I used to love formula one and now cant stand it ...........    You either love or hate certain sports, it is very rare that you enjoy a sport and come to hate it  imo,   F1 on the other hand has become unloved by many due to its current direction and seperation from the enjoyment of the past and just remains unexciting for me personally atm :)

• Like 2

A

I can see where you are coming from but isn't it a generation thing (maybe)?

I remember watching F1 late 70's early 80's and I still think that was the best time to be watching it. Saying that, My Father still thinks 50's and 60's F1 racing was when the real racing Gods existed. And today my 12 year old nephew who can probably only remember the last 4-5 seasons thinks F1 is just awesome today.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

You may well be quite correct Ian about the generation thing, my F1 racing was from watching 80s and 90s but still until pretty late, Yes i miss the crashes of the old days of racing and i fear that is what made such as difference in terms of driver etc, as most of them knew if they pranged the car by overtaking or speeding in bad condtions etc they could possibly loose their lives, 

Where as today they can pretty much hit a wall at 200mph, smile and walk away from it. Which takes away the brave and gutsy element of the past, Just look at Lewis when he got to drive Sennas Mclaren,  He knew the difference straight away and even admitted they where better  drivers due to what they had to put up with regarding manual gear changes, dancing the cars steering etc.  

F1 has to evolve i understand that, and we cant have drivers die like they used too, and yes as formula one develops so do cars on the road etc, but F1 does not seem fum anymore, the drivers are very reserved,  Jesus , Lewis grows a designer beard and gets an earing fitted and the press go mentle saying he is out of control lol !  Going back a few years folks like James hunt would still be drunk and fondling chicks in public lol. 

The races are just so boring, It is literally like watching a Scaletrix set go round and round, Things need to be changed in F1 to make it more exciting imo

• Like 2

A

17 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

Lewis grows a designer beard and gets an earing fitted and the press go mentle saying he is out of control lol !  Going back a few years folks like James hunt would still be drunk and fondling chicks in public lol. 

Now that is spot on lol ??

• Like 1

Even Lewis is saying that the engineers think overtaking will be harder this season due to the aerodynamic changes: dirty air, blah, blah, blah.

It's taken them years of regulation fiddling to get to this point: oulawed blown diffusers, introduced KERS, DRS, engineered feeble narrower tyres, narrow chassis etc. to try and make overtaking happen more often. Now they've decided to sod that: let's just make them go as fast as possible again.

It's a gamble of course, but they had to try something. The fear is that we will get even more processional races, so that it's all about qualifying and the first lap again. The best outcome would be that the top 3 teams are close enough on pace to keep each other honest, rather than just seeing who comes third after Hamilton and Bottas each week. In fact Verstappen in a proper fast car could be Lewis' main rival this year.

• Like 2

I'm struggling to give a $hit about F1 these days.  It's hardly on TV and the highlights have been on late at night.  The cars look ugly and engines are a bit naff.  And there's been too much micro-managing and messing with the rules and the car specs.  Shames as I used to be glued to it 20 years or so.

• Like 1

I remember the "good old days" when F1 was only on the Beeb late at night in highlights version - before Murray got James Hunt et al as co-workers.  There were only about a dozen races a year and only the top 6 places got any points.  It was largely processional.  Some cars/drivers were faster than others - eg Alan Jones in the Williams was just way out on his own in the mid seventies.  The faster ones tended to be at the front.  A very small difference in lap times still meant that gaps developed and the races became processional.  The cars were less reliable so more people didn't finish and that's when the slower teams won their points - eg I remember only 6 actually finishing at Monaco so all those that finished scored...  There was overtaking at times and it was exciting - I think when it happens now its just as exciting.  Sadly overtaking isn't as frequent as anybody would wish because on any given track a car/driver combination has a best lap time and they are mostly good enough to get close to that on each lap.  Once a timed order is achieved there wont be any overtaking unless something happens.  In the old days "something happened" more often than it does now - I think that's the only difference.  I get bored watching F1, but I still watch because the more you follow it the more interesting it becomes - driver behaviour excepted - as that's just crass.

• Like 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

I'm intrigued to know whether Bottas will be as quick as Hamilton this year. Alonso is looking more glum than ever, I saw a photo of him smiling yesterday, but it looked like it was of the kind of 'straining to fart' variety.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

mmm even the new maldonado beat hamilton today and Bottas fastest of all:blush:

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

The good old days of racing with the last of the decent looking cars....

williams-f1-formula-1-williams-fw12-formula-one-racing.thumb.jpg.9d9005b7fc5474d0978738cd267dde93.jpg

I except evolution but i feel F1 is pretty much close to this drawing below now or if not it soon will be........

Hawk_Williams_800_zps51f8ae29.jpg.552b1919f75d057f1dbec15a84e8b38d.jpg

• Like 1

A

And today, Vettel fastest so far, but Bottas has matched Hamilton's best time, albeit on a different day.

McLaren broke down twice, Alonso is apparently getting pissed off big time.

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...

Temps for Melbourne are Mostly sunny both days, mid to high 20's.  Maybe a spot of rain Sat morning.

Looks like a repeat of last year sadly. Mercedes the car to catch.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017