free hit
counters
Excel's , popularity and value - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
CHANGES

Excel's , popularity and value

I see the average good running Excel's are asking around the £7K mark with anything from 70 to 100+ K miles on circa 84 year plates, with the odd exceptions at up to £11 K ..and even that one has 82,132 miles on and 88 year plate, all with several owners.... There are the cheaper one's with all manor of issue's in various condition but still asking and fetching up to and around the £4k  mark.

As I have been mainly involved with the Esprit's for some time now i have not had my finger on the Excel pulse... Recently the Esprit value has gone through the roof, so wondering if the Excels are on the move as well ..     If so just wondering if an 89 plate SE, one owner from new with 36,000 genuine miles on , in nice all round condition, (much better than average) would be worth marketing or holding onto...   What sort of figure would one realistically expect to get for it .

It has been some time since I last drove and Excel , I forgot how good they actually are.  

All input appreciated 

D  

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Much slower appreciation I am sure but no doubt they will rise, as nearly ever classic has recently

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Well the Esprit is and ever will be worth more (money wise) than the Eclat/Excel and Elite, as it is 'the James Bond Car'. But still I believe the other wedges (Lotus, but also TVR etc.) will go up the next couple of years. But I would not buy one as an investment ;-) I think you drive these cars because you're an enthusiast, because you like to have something different, because you understand the design. 

29 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

so I would pay more for a car that has been used regularly than one that has sat around - but this might just be me.

100% agree, I have the same experience with my Elite. Since I drive it regularely, it's sweet as!

I agree as well. Higher mileage cars might have more maintenance costs through inevitable wear and tear, but less likely to have major issues as they would soon surface when being driven regularly.

Incidentally, I just bought an Excel to keep my Esprit company (and replace the Triumph Stag). I've had the itch for a few years, and with prices on the rise now seems the time. Not that I see it as an investment, but there's a good chance I can enjoy it for some time without losing money.

Filip

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

4 minutes ago, Escape said:

I agree as well. Higher mileage cars might have more maintenance costs through inevitable wear and tear, but less likely to have major issues as they would soon surface when being driven regularly.

To give an idea of my maintenance costs, the annual service bill for the Excel this year was just over £1k, a reduction from £1.5k last year and £3k the previous year (1st in my ownership). GST do all the servicing for both my cars, and the Esprit has slightly higher costs - driven fewer miles.

I am expecting it to go up again next year as it'll be cam belt change time and I'm going to fit larger brakes.

4 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

So while a low mileage example might sound nice, I would expect to have a largish bill on top of the purchase price refreshing all the belts, hoses & fluids, so I would pay more for a car that has been used regularly than one that has sat around -

How about if this particular Excel had been used every year be it only a few hundred each of the last five, had been kept in a heated garage, fully serviced up to two years ago when belts were done, and has been taxed / MOT'd every year..  Saying that I would still do a full service  / belts etc  along with new MOT if i moved it on , even though not due till mid June... just curious if this would be worth keeping or flipping.. 

flipping

Excels will never make you as much as an Esprit

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

As you say there is a wide range around.

The one on Car & Classic @ £12k will be sitting there for a long time.

I think this is the best value one on Ebay  @ £5.5k - it has the all important (to me) GST servicing. .

If it's as good as it sounds, then top dollar - I'd say somewhere closer to £10k than £7k. Personally I'd keep it - especially if it has air con (which is what I wish I had in mine).

Wot @pete said - you'll not make as much on an Excel as an Esprit.

if you can take 2or3000 out of it now take it as in 10 years might only make another 2or3:devil:

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Umm - we need to see some pictures.........

• Like 1

Only here once

2 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

As you say there is a wide range around.

The one on Car & Classic @ £12k will be sitting there for a long time.

I think this is the best value one on Ebay  @ £5.5k - it has the all important (to me) GST servicing. .

If it's as good as it sounds, then top dollar - I'd say somewhere closer to £10k than £7k. Personally I'd keep it - especially if it has air con (which is what I wish I had in mine).

Wot @pete said - you'll not make as much on an Excel as an Esprit.

Wow, that's Fitz's old car, he purchased it from Lotusbits, it went at auction at a ridiculously cheap price. I lost a fair bit of skin from a knuckle changing the rear differential on that car (it was an auto, converted to manual so we fitted a manual diff)

Which one ?

In the last 5-7 years they have doubled the price. The Esprits not, because of their higher entrance with the exception of hc turbos.

Yes, it is right, they are basically under the price of an Esprit but in the meantime it has changed. Good examples are more pricy than bottom line Esprits and it is still growing.

@Don.Hasi - The agreed value of my G Esprit has gone from £12k in 2012 to £35k in 2016 - so trebled in value. I think good examples of Excels are about the same price as a bottom line on the road Esprit.

Imo  an excel will never touch esprit prices, no matter what the on the road esprits condtion is,  Both fantastic lotus cars but the esprit is in a league of its own, it would be like saying that the elise prices will rise to touch evora levels, it just is never going to happen. 

Out of the four seaters, I personally think the Elite is going to be the winner price wise due to its age and sharper design, much like the G shaped cars are seeing at the moment regarding prices compaired to stevens esprits.  But any lotus at the end of the day is going to rise in value as they all are at the moment, just to own any model with the Lotus badge should make you feel lucky :)

Just my 2 pence 

• Like 1

A

i have been offered a British racing green 1987 lotus excel se 2.2 45k miles been stood for 7 years runs good what should i expect to pay as she is sight unseen with history ect. and estimate price whem restored to a concourse standard restoration and 12 month mot. [email protected]

10 hours ago, Custom said:

i have been offered a British racing green 1987 lotus excel se 2.2 45k miles been stood for 7 years runs good what should i expect to pay as she is sight unseen with history ect. and estimate price whem restored to a concourse standard restoration and 12 month mot. [email protected]

Not more than £1k if she's been standing that long, unless she's been well looked after. Recommissioning will be time consuming and potentially expensive to do properly, and the paint will probably need attention which is also expensive. £1k is, I understand, around the price that would be paid by someone after the parts.

If you want to restore to concours standard, you really need to see the car to know what you're getting into. Or assume the worse case, i.e. full restoration, paint, interior etc. Mechanicals are (often) easier to assess and budget. I would be weary of an engine that has stood for many years and is then just fired up and 'runs good'...

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.