free hit
counters
leaded or unleaded fuel? - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
olli

leaded or unleaded fuel?

Hello,

I am new at the forum, and my english is not so good, so please sorry for that.

I have a question: I have bought a 86 Esprit S3. So far so good. But no one can answer me, if the motor has hardened valve seats or not. Some of my friends which drive older cars (not Lotus) need to use an additive as substitute for lead.

At owners manual I can only read, that I have to use 4star fuel. 4star is 98 Oktan, I think but is it unleaded? In Germany is no leaded fuel available since many years. Is it nessessary to use an additive?

Thank you for answers

olli

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Olli

Our cars are fortunately suitable already for unleaded so you do not need to worry. You should however use the highest octane available.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Olli

Our cars are fortunately suitable already for unleaded so you do not need to worry. You should however use the highest octane available.

Mat is right. You can use unleaded no problem! Am I right in saying that Shell V-Power is 100 octane in Germany?

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Mat is right. You can use unleaded no problem! Am I right in saying that Shell V-Power is 100 octane in Germany?

Pete

Yes 100 octane fuel is available in Germany and I use it for my Elise (260 hp) since two years. We have Shell V-power and Aral Ultimate 100.

Thank you very much for your answers.

olli

Edited by olli

Hi Olli,

I'll be passing through Germany on the way to Slovenia this summer. I'll wave on the way past :thumbsup: ! Will be interesting to see if the 100 octane stuff makes any difference!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Pete,

Please wave when you cross the "Frankfurter Kreuz", where the Autobahn A3 and A5 cross :thumbsup:

I hope, you will drive with your Esprit through Germany!?!? Unfortunately in Slovenia is no 100 octane available. I think it will be not easy to get 98 octane there. Some friends of me take an octane booster, when they drive to Slovenia or Hungry with their Elise. Also in Italy is the 98 octane fuel mostly only with 96 or 97. This is no problem driving a modern car, they only lost a bit of power.....

I think there is no difference between 98 and 100 octane driving an Esprit, who is managed for 98. But if you drive a modern car, like BMW M3 or M5 you feel it. The M5 of a friend has with 98 only 400 hp and with 100 octane the complete 500 hp for example. And my Elise is tuned with an Compressor/booster and the boost for 98 octane is 0,4 bar max. and with 100 octane is 0,55 bar max. So the difference is about 20-25 hp.

and don

Out of interest what's the situation with regard to the series 1s? Presumably they are too early to have hardened valves and valve seats?

paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Out of interest what's the situation with regard to the series 1s? Presumably they are too early to have hardened valves and valve seats?

paul.

Paul as the Esprit was made for the world market im told Lotus didnt piss about making 1 engine for the uk and 1 for every 1 else all the main parts ie the block pistons head valves where the same, only things like carbs exhausts where different because of emissons in some countries. ie the US ( and all alloy headed GM engines have hardened valves and the 907 was built for GM to start with). so the Lotus 900 engines can all use unleaded but the higher octane fuel the better.

In saying that I have fitter a fuel CAT to my S1 but only because they claim it increases the octine rating on standard unleaded by about 2 octanes

logo_01-2.jpg

Hi Olli

Welcome to the TOP place for anything related to Esprit :)

Unleaded is no problem with the Esprit - IMHO 98 is fine, no need to go for 100 oct.

We'll meet at Hockenheim this Easter - Keep the "Creole Scream" chilled...

Tsch

Edited by jimmybondi

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

...We'll meet at Hockenheim this Easter - Keep the "Creole Scream" chilled...

Tsch

Paul as the Esprit was made for the world market im told Lotus didnt piss about making 1 engine for the uk and 1 for every 1 else all the main parts ie the block pistons head valves where the same, only things like carbs exhausts where different because of emissons in some countries. ie the US ( and all alloy headed GM engines have hardened valves and the 907 was built for GM to start with). so the Lotus 900 engines can all use unleaded but the higher octane fuel the better.

In saying that I have fitter a fuel CAT to my S1 but only because they claim it increases the octine rating on standard unleaded by about 2 octanes

Thanks for the info Ian - that's saved me a few bob then!!

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Ian, Why do you say the 97 was built for GM? I understand that a Vauxhall block was used for early development engines but it was first used by Jensen for the Healey and then in the Elite. I don't think it ever went in a GM car.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE