free hit
counters
S4S Front Bumper Vents - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S4S Front Bumper Vents

Hello everyone. I have been a life long fan of the Esprit ever since I was first exposed to one as a little kid. I am now in a position in life to start shopping around for one. I am still a fairly young man and as such I like to try do young man things like modify and race cars. As such I would love to do some simple work on an S4S and do a bit of road racing with it. I do have a question for you all that is super simple that would help me in my planning phases as I am searching for the right car. What is the routing inside the bumper of the side intakes and side vents on the front bumper? Does the air enter the front  intake and just pass straight out the side or is something else going on in there? Reason I ask is I am looking for a good source of air for front brake vents. I have included a picture circling the 2 vents I am talking about.

Also, the lower rocker scoops under the doors are vents for the rear brakes, correct? 

I would go take a look at a car myself on this, but apparently there is not a single one for sale in all of Las Vegas. Thank you and I look forward to learning from you all in the future!

Nate

08c0ca4853774398b0e1f581d0d563bd.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Hi Nat, 

The large front corner vents duct air directly onto the two oil coolers, (one in each front corner), used hot air is expelled through a grill in the front wheel well directly onto the front tyres.

The smaller front vents behind the oil coolers are not ducted, I would only guess they aid the the flow or reduce pressure in this area, but there are no cooling ducts onto the front brakes.

The rear sill (rocker) vents direct cool air through large ducts into the engine bay, again there is no brake cooling here either.

Hope this helps.

Steve

In addition to what Steve said, I've just walked into my garage, and taken a couple of shots of the vent arrangement for you, on the front right hand side of the car.

Looks like all the airflow from the front duct is channelled through the cooler, some of which travels rearwards, the remainder out through the side vent, but I stand corrected as I'm not an aerodynamicist. I'll upload them later.

Margate Exotics.

Welcome to TLF Nate. :welcome:

I have not done this on my Esprit yet and may not, but there is a very easy and cheap way to get extra air flowing to the front brakes. This is a trick that was shown to me by a mechanic that used to work for Lotus here in Australia.

I will try and make a piece up and show you were it sits in a photo as it is difficult to explain. I just tried and deleted it all. Very cheap and quite effective.

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Sitting here trying to work out stuff on the internet with creating a PayPal account. I wish these people spoke in layman terms and not technospeak. Idiots.

Hmm. Maybe it's me that is the idiot.

Anyway, annoyed with this crap, so tomorrow I will make the items and fit them and take photos along the way and of the completed setup. Very easy to do.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Link to disc air diverting plate topic. :) 

That is a really neat and simple idea that could be used on anything with a control arm. Me thinking out loud, I wonder how effective it actually is? The reason I ask is because the wheel well, without venting, is usually a high pressure area. Because of this I wonder how much air movement is actually getting picked up and pointed at the brakes? The lower "wing" looks like it hangs below the flat bottom edge of the car so should pick up some air movement there, but maybe it's just the angle of the picture. If it is hanging down like that how much air is it actually picking up? Would having a front end on it help direct the air some more? Is it exposed to damage if I get the wheels up over curbing? Due to it being behind the oil coolers and everything else right there in the front bumper how much air flow is it seeing from that angle? Will it interfere with the wheels on a full lock turn with wider rims?

One thing about it is the simplicity of the piece. I will make some and put them on another car and test the effectiveness with a IR temp gun to at least get some numbers as far as heat dissipation from a straight line hard brake. I recently broke my gopro but will get that replaced and put it down in the wheel well and do some yarn tests as well. 

Thank you for posting this! Any other neat little ideas like this? Maybe something rear specific? Although this would work on the rear almost the same as the front. 

This was shown to me by a guy that used to prep Lotus cars for race use here in Australia. Paul said it worked well for what it cost and they had to do nothing else to the brakes.

Would still be interested to see any IR results though.

I'm like you. It was really easy to do, cost peanuts and can't be bad.

On 3/9/2017 at 09:55, ian29gte said:

IMG_3907.JPG

IMG_3909.JPG

IMG_3908.JPG

I was just looking at these again and started to notice something I completely missed the first time. On the first and second picture, extreme right side, the black plastic that cuts off the view of the cooler, is that ducting to the side vent? On the third picture, is that a shot through the side vent forward with the the blurred image in the background? 

If so on all the above, it would make sense as the the little canard directly in front of the vent would create a low pressure are behind it, i.e. right where the vent is, so with the combined high pressure air being pushed through the cooler from in front of the bumper and the low pressure area outside the vent drawing that hot air out, I would imagine that is a fairly efficient setup. Assuming of course the canard does a decent job of creating a low pressure area behind it. It has a fairly sharp edge so I would think it would do a decent job at least. 

• Gold FFM

Yes, I think it is as you describe. Part of the airflow through the oilcoolers is ducted to the side vent, improving cooling and reducing the turbulence/drag on the front wheels. My SE came with the ducting in a box instead of on the car, still haven't got round to fitting it (after almost 2 years, shame on me!).

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.