free hit
counters
78 Lotus Elite Project - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Weston

78 Lotus Elite Project

Recommended Posts


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That looks like a great project. The engine looks far too clean! And what a brilliant shed to have. Keep the pics coming.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome,  Really pleased to see so many of these elites getting the same love and attention as the esprits now  :thumbup:  Workshop looks like a fantastic area to conduct a project like this,  The bodyshell trolley looks awesome also,  but i would add some small brace extra brace bars at a lower level dependant on how much work you are going to do on the body and how much its going to get moved etc, :)

Look forward to updates as this already looks like a great project, progress wise so far :thumbup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dreamed about NZ last night, so funny! The prime minister was a woman and she wanted to transrorm the country into a place for hippies and she wasto repeal the 10 most stupid laws  :) ok but about your project, that looks a bit more realistic than my dream! It looks great :wub:

3 hours ago, Clive59 said:

And what a brilliant shed to have. Keep the pics coming.

yeah, not only it is a brilliant shed, but also it's AUCKLAND! 

So good to see so many Elite rebuilts, one of the most underestimated Lotus! Keep posting on your progress, look forward to updates!

(and you have found the best place for Lotus and Elite enthusiasts on the web!)

 

auckland.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a great project and I'm well jel (:blush: I don't believe I said that - being hanging out wit da boyz too much!) of your "shed". is the metallic red the final colour. The whole car that colour will look amazing. BTW I like the 17inch wheel. it fills the arches really well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AWESOME!!!!!

As Mike says 'well jel'

Keep us posted. Would also appreciate dimensions of the 'dolly' - really like that.

Well done

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daniel, the Auckland weather chart looks spot on for Norfolk UK to me lol

Shame I don't have the big shed (I appreciate mine is bigger than some! oohhh eerrr Mrs) or the lift and other toys - I can dream at least.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, having a good shed definitely helps a lot! 

4 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

AWESOME!!!!!

As Mike says 'well jel'

Keep us posted. Would also appreciate dimensions of the 'dolly' - really like that.

Well done

I think the trolley was 2 metres by 1.8 metres but I'll have to double check. I was going to brace it but the body it so light i decided not too, plus i was too eager to start pulling things apart. 

I had thoughts of 17" wheels but maybe a bit big and I do wanna keep a retro look so i'll either polish the original ones or try source some other ones. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ben, 

Great start you have there with lots of room. Makes for a much easier job as there is no such thing as a too big garage. lol

 Getting right down to it with great progres. I also like the 17 inch wheels. You may find it necessary to go with a larger wheel when you see just how pathetic the tire selection is today with the 14's . That is why I went the 16 wheels, as there is a much better selection of high performance tires if you get a larger wheel.

Lotus put high performance tires on originally but there aren't any 14 inch tires, like that, available today. So I wanted to experience the forte of this car which is handling thus a need to go with a larger wheel to find such tires to match.

Great pictures of your progress. Love to see more so don't forget to keep us posted.

atb,

 

Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben, check out @CharlieCroker - his car sits on some very stylish 15" wheels which really work well with the Elite 'period feel'

Much easier to find tyres. Tempted to go down that route myself, especially if 14" tyres get any harder to find.

Cheers

Ant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Weston said:

 

I had thoughts of 17" wheels but maybe a bit big and I do wanna keep a retro look so i'll either polish the original ones or try source some other ones. 

 

That will have a negativ impact on the handling as it's unsprung weight

Depends on what you want from the car (show or ride?) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree 15s on the pink panther look stunning ,  Regarding unsprung weight completely agree with Daniel ,  however some wheels no matter what size are lighter than others,  I actually like the stock looking alloy, but some lovely looking alloy wheels in 15s out there at the moment in the retro scene,  some pretty much not far off the lotus wheel design :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Elite 4.9 said:

Hey Ben, 

Great start you have there with lots of room. Makes for a much easier job as there is no such thing as a too big garage. lol

 Getting right down to it with great progres. I also like the 17 inch wheels. You may find it necessary to go with a larger wheel when you see just how pathetic the tire selection is today with the 14's . That is why I went the 16 wheels, as there is a much better selection of high performance tires if you get a larger wheel.

Lotus put high performance tires on originally but there aren't any 14 inch tires, like that, available today. So I wanted to experience the forte of this car which is handling thus a need to go with a larger wheel to find such tires to match.

Great pictures of your progress. Love to see more so don't forget to keep us posted.

atb,

 

Richard

Hey Richard 

Yeah thanks. Bigger the garage the better I say lol

I would just have to careful with the 17" as that one I had on there did not fit the rear and the steering was limited so the offset would have to be double checked when buying new wheels, but i like the sound of say a 15 or a 16" wheel.

It's a bummer as the original wheels look good polished up but like everyone has said, decent tyres will be an issue to find.

Thanks yeah I'll be posting some very shortly.

By the way your lotus looks very nice, any more pictures?? 

11 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Ben, check out @CharlieCroker - his car sits on some very stylish 15" wheels which really work well with the Elite 'period feel'

Much easier to find tyres. Tempted to go down that route myself, especially if 14" tyres get any harder to find.

Cheers

Ant

Hey Ant yeah i checked out his ride on retro rides, they got some awesome photos of it. Its my inspiration basically lol. Looks slick on those rims. 

 

10 hours ago, Testdriver said:

That will have a negativ impact on the handling as it's unsprung weight

Depends on what you want from the car (show or ride?) 

I want the ride but i want it to look good to. I may have to experiment with some sizes and see how it roles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

I'm guessing the salt from the roads in the UK got the better of everything on here. Although thank god the chassis is galvanised so it will need a clean up and respray black to tidy up. The whole rear end is stripped and I think just about every part that is movable is seized or corroded. 

The car has no brake lines or fuel lines, so that will be another job to run some new piping. The front brake calipers are off getting refurbished. All new bushes through out are on there way! Full steam ahead! 

Can't wait to rip into the engine! all new seals, gaskets, bearings. She's going to be like new once I've finished with her. 

The water pump shaft is bent also so I've sourced another! not cheap! yikes.  Thank god for SJsportscars and lotusbits, I'm going to become their best customer lol

IMG_0222.jpg.2b006fdb73f4ad503a38ba2cae892ac2.jpgIMG_0224.jpg.0005f3241f69f78e7fd888c4100dd4c0.jpgIMG_0225.jpg.49de581f18f5fd9ec1d6abf60d859418.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg.bb984b96e49fc4ddb687ee83aef0424b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you are storming ahead with this  :thumbup:  Yes sadly the UK roads are not the best, even when the chassis has been galvanised, but as you say a good clean down and some decent paint an it should up as good as new.  Look forward to updates on this, have a feeling this is going to end up as a really nice car :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

 

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/profile/15875-elite-49/?tab=node_gallery_gallery

Quote

Thanks yeah I'll be posting some very shortly.

By the way your lotus looks very nice, any more pictures?? 

 

 Thanks. did you see the pictures in my albums..?    .....above link

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2017 at 10:14, silverfrost said:

Looks like you are storming ahead with this  :thumbup:  Yes sadly the UK roads are not the best, even when the chassis has been galvanised, but as you say a good clean down and some decent paint an it should up as good as new.  Look forward to updates on this, have a feeling this is going to end up as a really nice car :)

Yeah I sure am :). In NZ we don't salt the roads so this car should last some time I'd say. One would say I'm quite a perfectionist so every little thing has to be right.

 

On 3/13/2017 at 22:47, Elite 4.9 said:

 

 

 

 

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/profile/15875-elite-49/?tab=node_gallery_gallery

 

 Thanks. did you see the pictures in my albums..?    .....above link

Wow nice car Richard! you did a great job. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that's the engine and gearbox out. Actually looks not to bad on the inside, some fresh rings, bearings and gaskets and and i'll have her back together in a day. Needs some serious cleaning up though on the outside. Busy couple of days de-rusting, rust killing and painting anything that needs it, which is basically every single part on this car that is metal. At least everything will be mint, even if ya can't see it. 

IMG_0286.jpg.a8c40c5c1c9fdb9b3fde6ba3f15444d6.jpgIMG_0285.jpg.3b6a47d8f47c37af5738cab9cf1ac57c.jpg58c9a77c9b3e3_IMG_0287(1).jpg.78199093263f2712bab590a7ccad3214.jpgIMG_0289.jpg.d4f1a6882d2a41a7683fa3213e714044.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ben. Lots of work but obviously some like auto restoration especially on a car that is worth it, like the Elite. As they say, "cleanliness is next to Godliness."  Nothing looks better IMHO when a good deal of effort is done as it shows. Like you are doing. Nice to see your progress. Attention to detail really shows and it makes me just keep going cleaning up other areas and making my car more enjoyable for me. 

Just a note on rust removable. White vinegar is an excellent, cheap, none threatening substance that will completely remove all rust if you can get your part in a soaking tub of some kind, I usually mix it with 50% water. Works great for engine blocks and other things you don't want to use a sandblaster or other abrasive tools. Just takes some time and won't harm cast iron one bit. Only takes more time than you want if you are in a big hurry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 11:39, Elite 4.9 said:

Thanks Ben. Lots of work but obviously some like auto restoration especially on a car that is worth it, like the Elite. As they say, "cleanliness is next to Godliness."  Nothing looks better IMHO when a good deal of effort is done as it shows. Like you are doing. Nice to see your progress. Attention to detail really shows and it makes me just keep going cleaning up other areas and making my car more enjoyable for me. 

Just a note on rust removable. White vinegar is an excellent, cheap, none threatening substance that will completely remove all rust if you can get your part in a soaking tub of some kind, I usually mix it with 50% water. Works great for engine blocks and other things you don't want to use a sandblaster or other abrasive tools. Just takes some time and won't harm cast iron one bit. Only takes more time than you want if you are in a big hurry.

 

A lot of work but it's all part of the enjoyment of restoring a car you really like. Yeah your right, nothing quite like a clean car.  I think the detail is what makes a car stand out, luckily i have lots of time and patience to clean up all areas and in the end I hope to have a very reliable car. 

Oh really! that is interesting, Vinegar! who would of thought. I will have to try that out, thanks for the tip.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

It's been a busy few days at the workshop, my parts arrived from the UK so I could put the engine together and put the rear end back together. I installed new wheel bearings, braided brake lines, new hand brake cable, new brakes, new bottom arms also. Took me half a day to drill out the bolt that runs through the aluminium wheel hub carrier. aluminium and steel don't really go great together, i added grease nipples to the centre where the bolt goes through so i can keep that lubricated. I'm not 100% sure about this hand brake assembly I mean its all together and works ok but i wouldn't trust it on a hill. 

The engine went back together trouble free, everything looked really clean inside for its age. A bit of paint some new air filters, new rings and bearings, job done. New service kits installed into the dellortos also so hopefully they work ok.  I'm considering painting them now also as they kinda look out of place there. 

Now just waiting on a new clutch kit and and I can marry the engine and gearbox and load them onto the chassis. 

 

IMG_0640.JPG.b06a54d8b131c56af2565403290d0d20.JPGIMG_0298.jpg.0006565e782544c582cdb9ea2e6b6a4f.jpgIMG_0324.jpg.edb30289f7d60f88e8b7ed3ac312a776.jpggIMG_0321.jpg.180f3f40f4425b84e3d2a2a545e5b6ea.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic work so far,  looks great,  the finish on that engine, gearbox and chassis look stunning,  those carbs need the bling treatment to finish of the look of that great looking engine :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good Ben, petrol and paint doesn't always sit well together, so strip those carbs and get the bodies soda blasted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Steve says above paint on the carbs can easily be smuged by the petrol,  soda blast and petrol resisitant laquer is a good choice, but can yellow after a few years sadly :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now





×