free hit
counters
Easy fix for directing air to the Esprit front discs - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Easy fix for directing air to the Esprit front discs

I have put this in here as it is specifically related to the brakes and nothing to do with the front vents per @Nate's topic. I will add a link in there to get to here. This took me about 2 hours to do.

Anyway start with 2 pieces of aluminium plate. These are 250 x 100mm x 1.5 mm thick. This is checker plate, but it doesn't matter. I drew two lines 25mm apart centred on the plate.

thumb_IMG_9044_1024.jpg

Then via a bit of ingenuity with with some timber, I bent the wings up to about 30º.

thumb_IMG_9045_1024.jpg

Then out with the Dremel and cut 4 slots at 30mm apart at each end of the plate at about 40mm from the ends. Needle filed to be able to fit a hose clamp through the slots. I will probably use 25~40mm hose clamps as the test one you will see fits it pretty well. The arm you are attaching to is about 26mm in diameter.

thumb_IMG_9046_1024.jpg

Hose clamp fitted through the slots so you can see how to orient them. Make sure you fit them so you can get to the screw head. This takes a bit of mucking around with stainless clamps.

thumb_IMG_9047_1024.jpg

Then this is the plate fitted to the drivers side lower control arm at the front. Only one clamp for now. Have to go and buy some new ones. Make sure you use decent ones as you don't want this coming off when you are driving. The plate lines up directly with the air holes in the plate behind the disc.

Added weight per side? Don't care.

thumb_IMG_9049_1024.jpg

• Like 2

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I should add that I have put this in the Stevens section as I have an S4, but I imagine it would be easy to do on the G cars as well.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.