free hit
counters
Gearbox drain plug - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Gearbox drain plug

ramjet

Well at least it is not tight.

Be buggered. This thing doesn't want to come loose for love nor money.

I'm using a 7/16" ring spanner with another spanner on that to extend and the 7/16" started to bend!

Out now comes the 7/16" socket and the breaker bar. I have had to tap the ring spanner or socket onto the plug as they are tapered. 12mm is just too loose.

Must be that Lotus Loctite Magnafusion 1,000,000 again.

And no, there is no rust there.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That is a very good idea Sparky based on what I am going through with the drain plug.

The socket is rounding off the corners of the plug now. I have no idea how tight this has been installed. In a bit of strife now.

An open end spanner would not touch this.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Been there done that as the saying goes ?! Your message made me smile, could have been from me ! LOL

I fully sympathize... not in Esprit ownership just yet, soon hopefully, but 3 years back I was restoring a R21 Quadra, which has a 'UN' type G/B like the Esprit, and same mild steel square plug... had all the same misfortunes you had. Only the conclusion was different : I did not think of the heat gun, and I was doing the work in a "DIY" garage. They had more tools than I do, so they figured, as a last resort, that we could try welding a big nut on the square plug, to get more leverage and stronger steel to put a spanner onto.. took seconds and worked a treat ! Didn't take a big welding machine either, you can see it hanged to the front roll bar, just a small/cheap/lightweight "inverter" type machine was enough. So I think I might get one of these, might save my bacon again in the future...

Added bonus is that although the end result looks rather ugly, it is perfectly functional, so it gives you as much time as you need to source new plugs to tidy things up. That was just as well, because to my surprise these square plugs (10mm in my case) were not at all as easy to find (in local retail stores anyway, didn't check on the net back then), as I thought ! :-/ So once I found some, from a friend 300 miles away who luckily happened to find some in his local auto store, I bought half a dozen of them ! :stuart:

P4040003.JPG

P4040036.JPG

P4040040.JPG

Edited by troutrou

Trouilliez,   Just looked at your 30 percent of green se ,  how does that work, did you do a group purchase on an esprit or buy a damaged one of which only about 30 percent of an esprit survived ?  

A

Hi Dan,

"Trouilliez" is my last name, just call me Vince ! LOL

"30%"... well no, no group buy, I am the only one involved. Just means that she won't be mine until I have paid/saved  the remaining 70%...   

She is not 30% of an Esprit either, to the contrary she is beautiful, fully original, and in perfect shape all round, think of her every day :-)

Question might not be that crazy though, after all I hear people do come up with co-ownership plans for expensive things like helicopters or airplanes, so why not for cars....

Edited by troutrou
  • Like 1

The reason I was doing this was twofold. I want to put new oil in it as well as I have to do the drive output shaft seals on both sides.

Uh oh. You say. The rolled pin saga.

3mm and 5 mm punch. All out in about 2 minutes.

Unbelievable.

• Gold FFM

Guess the message here is "right tool for the job", eh?  ;)

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

:yes: 

• Gold FFM

I had a similar problem with the gearbox fillerplug on my previous SE. Luckily I knew and remembered to loosen that before taking out the drain! Tried welding something on, but that broke. Finally got enough grip with a big set of pliers. Then bought the correct square socket...

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Been there, done that.  I couldn't shift either the filler or drain plug. This is what you need.  A clever gadget full of spring-loaded rods which will fit lots of things.

All I can say is it worked for me.  I bought it at last years Classic Restoration Show so you may get one there at the end of the month if you are going. Unfortunately I didn't keep any details of the Trader who was selling them.  It is stamped 'GATOR GRIP BY ENDEAVOR' and covers 7mm to 19mm. Highly recommended.

019.JPG

025.JPG

024.JPG

• Like 1

I have seen those before Roy, but had completely forgotten about them. I may not get to the Classic Restoration Show this month as I am in Australia. ;) 

Good tool,  I remember when they first came out and was fairly scepticle about them to begin with, but have heard lots of good things about them and will try and add one of those to my tool box one of these days :)

A

• Gold FFM

Whilst I agree that could be useful to get you out of a fix, the correct tool is no more expensive and will naturally do the job properly first time.  Also, I've seen a couple of 'Gator Grips' (cheap imitations?) that have disintegrated on first use.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.