free hit
counters
Alpine A110... Is this the £50k car Lotus should have built? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Alpine A110... Is this the £50k car Lotus should have built?

Apologies if this is being discussed somewhere else in the forum.:pizza:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-events/geneva/2017/alpine-sports-car-2017-revealed/

Cant help thinking Lotus should be building something like this instead of an SUV that it knows so little about in an over saturated market...

The trend is shifting to what Lotus does best.

Alpine has my attention as an everyday car. It's a great looking, light, modern drivetrain, alternative and not too expensive.

Looking forward to testdriving one! :sofa:

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To answer the original question - In my opinion, no. Lotus need a proper 4-seater rather than yet another 2-seater. I am part of a large segment of the market that Lotus does not cater for, and I

I confess to having an alpine a110. I still have my esprit gt3, which retains its crown despite being 20 years older. I have been lucky enough to drive almost every super and sports car apart fro

So saw the car today and finalised paperwork for order. First time viewing  one, so was surprised how small it looked.  Does look stunnning though  |https://thumbsnap.com/SLEkw5fm White

Posted Images

I'm not worried about what Lotus should or should not be doing, but I like that a lot. Captured the original styling, and brought it up to date. It's also cheaper than buying an original Alpine!

Margate Exotics.

250bhp / 1080kg mid engined roughly 60/40 distribution with a punchy 4cyl mated to a Getrag dct... Decent suspension set up for both handling and everyday suppleness and Brembo 4pots...

Am I missing something.. What's the catch? 

And no manual option either. 

FWIW, the dynamic parts were developed by Caterham (many of the team being ex-Lotus) before the Caterham/Renault relationship ran into trouble. 

If JMG and his crew get their way we should have an Elise Vs A110 by 2020.  

Renault and Caterham used the Elige has a template for the car so it is not surprising that the car is so close to what a 4 cyl hardtop Elige would be... The powertrain system spin is interesting, the system is lighter than the same car with a manual...

A few years ago I hoped Lotus and Renault could have partnered up. F1 team etc, could have helped each other out...

Lotus with access to the parts bin (transmission etc), budget to develop a new chassis and become more prevalent. Renault with a proper high level performance brand  to go head to head with Porsche.

It would appear my idea was definitely a non starter (Gallic shrug moment). 

Renault didn't need Lotus to make a fast everyday, modern, technologically advanced, lightweight sports car that you can occasionally track and competes well against Porsche Cayman!

They also own an F1 team outright.

Renault - 2

Lotus - nil

Would have been cool if Lotus could have used this platform and spun off a Lotus version :ermm:

• Like 1

I really like the new Alpine - it respects its heritage while maintaining an overall elegant design which is missing from its contemporaries. All the big manufacturers are pursuing more technical and aggressive designs, losing beauty in the process.

However the lack of manual is a deal breaker for me. It's the same bloody mistake Alfa made with the 4C, which was nigh-on perfect. You can give me good suspension and steering feedback all you want but don't feed me stupid flappy paddles. 

I'm sure a MTR will be released at some point. 

As for Lotus, I believe the next Elise could be up to the challenge of matching this, especially if they release a more "Lux" version of it. 

The less said about that SUV the better. That thing won't have "just" missed the train by the time its out. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll be illegal to drive on half of european roads (owing to petrol engine) by the time it sees market. 

• Like 2

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I tend to agree. From pictures it seems a nice update of the original (if a bit awkward from some angles). Lack of manual transmission (and rear seats) is a show stopper for me, though. I hope this pushes Lotus to do even better cars moving forward. :-)

Kind of risky strategy in a way as it's a bit niche. Not everyone will like the alternative looks. Having experienced a Getrag dct in my current daily car for two years I must admit it's simply brilliant for everyday.. you can get properly involved when you're pushing on if you want to but it's still nothing compared to a stick and peddle (hence the Elise in my life!).

I wonder how many Cayman or TTS's are sold manual these days? Full credit to Porsche & Audi for maintaining the option! Apparently Porsche have no idea how many real die hards there are out there with the new GT3 manual offering... 

Is it 'Alpeen' or 'Alpine'?

I just heard the bit about the fuel tank being in the front. I don't know of any cars in Oz that have the fuel tank in the front.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Thanks. Learn something every day. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

As a kid with radio under the covers the BBC pronounced it Alpeen?  Monte Carlo rally.  Like the new one though. Anything retro i like. Well sort of.

• 8 months later...

Lotus esk in its pursuit to be light and fun to drive.

The comments at the end are a real compliment. I agree. A light sorted chassis with lively handling is what makes me happy:)

Bravo Alpine, I really want to drive one!

£50k these days doesn't seem unreasonable for that car.

• Like 1

Looks nice. Good to see another manufacturer investing in lightweight engineering rather than another hybrid SUV. I like the way it looks but paddleshift is an issue for me. A car like that which isn't chasing laptimes should be all about fun and driver involvement. Happy to drive EPAS cars all day but can't be persuaded to part with my own money to own one while better alternatives exist. Sounds like an interesting car. I'd love to drive one back to back with an Alfa 4C, another car that intrigues me greatly.

On 12/03/2017 at 14:51, ChrisJ said:

To answer the original question - In my opinion, no. Lotus need a proper 4-seater rather than yet another 2-seater.

I am part of a large segment of the market that Lotus does not cater for, and I cannot see any circumstance where I would buy one of their current models. Now if there was a 4-seater - I'd be at the front of the queue. I bought a 25+ year old Excel so as to be able to go on holiday with my family in the make I prefer.

So carry on the 2-door version plus derivatives - but also cater for families.

I totally agree with this - there's very few 2+2 coupe's on the market that you can actually fit even a small adult in. Lotus had this with the Elite. Had my teenage daughter been able to fit in the rear of the Evora I would have bought one. Being someone who's wife doesn't drive, and commute by train and therefore does less than 2,000 miles per year - I have no wish to own 2 cars.

Although the 4-seater coupe market may not be very big - if Lotus actually produced one they would have little competition. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DJW said:

I'm lookinfg forward to a 3 way battle between the A110, the refreshed 4C and the Elise 250. By the look of this the Alpine is already loads better than the 4C, but the Elise will give the Alpine a serious run for its money. Knowing the Elise won't be replaced before 2022, it reinforces my opinion that Geely should order Lotus to revamp the Elise's cabin and make it a global car again, Lotus has access to a powertrain combination that could do serious damage the Volvo Drive-E engine in either 1.5l or 2l turbo with Geely's own 7 speed DCT would be a great way to set the current Elise on its way before it is replaced.  

The Alpine is a great addition to the market of course but I won't see much of it unless I cross the pound again... As the UK is leaving the EU I should petition my local government to take its place, the guy in charge south of the border doesn't make much sense these day... 

It seems I have an issue with the site.....while you guys are describing a lovely looking mid engined sportscar, I'm getting pictures of a tall narrow uglier version of a 911 (if such a thing were possibe) frankenstiened to the back end of an Audi. The original A110 wasn't exactly the prettiest thing around in its day, maybe this retro version will look nicer in 40 years time.

At the end of the day it's just a Renault, I've owned a few and they've all been shit, cheapo components, mechanically unreliable and down at the breakers yard with metal worm long before most of their competitors.

I agree Lotus has missed the boat with the SUV project, and should concentrate in this market, it shouldn't be too difficult to blow this monstrosity out of the water. (are we really looking at the same car).