free hit
counters
Alpine A110... Is this the £50k car Lotus should have built? - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
auRouge

Alpine A110... Is this the £50k car Lotus should have built?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

https://drivetribe.com/p/best-sports-car-for-50k-Vq6XIZFOSbujv40u5mYZmQ?iid=GCpkAT5DTVCl4aDRcGEw2w

As posted yesterday by Scotty.

IMO, drivetribe's  selection of the Elise as the top Sports Car is invalid.  Invalid in the context they establish with the Audi,  Porsche, BMW, and Alpine.  Those four clear fit the category.  Whilst of course the Elise meets the logical essentials of the category's words, it - the Cup version, note - is of a different nature.  The Elise has a heavy emphasis on the word "Sports" and, in the generalities that commonly apply, far less on the word "Car".  My test? A direct drive from Hampshire to Scotland in less than perfect weather and in typical - i.e. heavy much of the way - traffic.  Unexceptional for four of the cars - a clear drawing of breath for one.  (I've done it many times, to both Skye and Aberdeen, sometimes to a 5pm deadline.  A Fiesta ST, Mountune'd,  is another highly capable........)

Eliminating the Elise, leaves the Alpine as the top choice. I've not driven any of the particular versions of the other three - other versions of two - so I won't comment further.  (Several versions of the Elise too, and loved them - for what they are.)

Thinking of trying one of the four others quite soon though.........

PS: Before others recount their heroic Elise trips, I'll kick off that I twice took my Elise S1 Sport 135 (close ratio box - not ideal for motorways!) from Hampshire to Shetland.  Doesn't change my opinion above!

Edited by mdavies
PS added

Rather a rave review - can feel the excitement! 

His point about the time to 62mph of 4.5 seconds including two, not the usual one, gear changes deserves to be widely noted,  IMO. The particular speed of 62mph - any other number- is entirely arbitrary, and has no significance in actual driving other than being a normalised convention for comparisons. Of far more meaning and interest to me is the time of 10 seconds to 100 mph. That does convey a sense of the general performance relevant to the large majority of real life driving in the UK. 

Hmmmmm...........

..........and as for the need to work at undoing various fastenings and removing coverings before gaining access to the engine, would an  analogy to think of undr................. crumbs, stop! That thought would probably get me banned!

• Haha 1

Was watching petrolicious earlier. A 1960s porsche 718 reliving the targa florio in ghr handsof derek bell, and realised that what the a110 has done is exactly what the 718 did in the sixties. A small, light, lithe 4 cylinder beating all the v12s and v8s... but the reborn 718 is too big to live up to its own heritage...

Having just added 2000 sublime miles thrashing through narrow, vicious Pyrenees mountain roads, light, small and precise is exactly the right recipe.. would never have got the GT3 through there alive.

30 minutes ago, Laika said:

Having just added 2000 sublime miles thrashing through narrow, vicious Pyrenees mountain roads, light, small and precise is exactly the right recipe.. would never have got the GT3 through there alive.

Which of your cars were you driving