free hit
counters
Would It be hard to create an Evora Roadster ? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Would It be hard to create an Evora Roadster ?

I loved the look of the autocar rendering of an Evora Roadster, but it seems instead the production model will end up more like an Exige roof :(

IMG_6209.JPG.b20d7eb3538d7f2b5d0507bf1e16c962.JPG

So it got got me thinking. As the roof is not structural to the stiffness of body, with the right bodywork garage would it take that much to create car above (albeit with a £30k S1).   From the YouTube video where the guy rebuilt an Evora on a budget, I noted the roll over bar was height of the roof. Could this be cut down and rewelded to create a lower setup with roll over hoops as per rendering above ?

If you weren't worried about a roof (which would be complex)  , you could treat it as an open top car that has a shower cap stored away for use when parked up ( did same in my 2-11 and XBOW when weather looked a bit dodgy). 

Not sure if you could sell a car with that conversion mind you ? Lol. 

Thoughts ?

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Evora roadster should make it out in the open soon. For those joining the show now there's been a lot of smoke and mirrors around that variant. As much as it has been said that the roof is st

According to this statement it isn't going to be like exige. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2020-lotus-elise-confirmed-following-return-profit

Posted Images

It is my understanding that the roof IS a little bit structural, once it is bonded in. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in these things will be along to confirm/deny

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Good point. Just checked in here and yep 15m40s in, mentions side structure of roof is structual :(  Shame we will never get a full blown convertible, as it would be stunning 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Up next will be an open-top version of the Evora, which Gales is promising isn’t simply an Evora without a roof and gets its own distinct design touches. This will be launched at the end of 2017. 

According to this statement it isn't going to be like exige.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2020-lotus-elise-confirmed-following-return-profit

• Like 1

Ooooh as you say ....

Up next will be an open-top version of the Evora, which Gales is promising isn’t simply an Evora without a roof and gets its own distinct design touches. This will be launched at the end of 2017. 

Intrigued :)

Any car can be made into a soft top imo,  Its just need added support for stiffness, but then this adds weight, Also affects the Handling of the car which can give a less sports car feel than its hard top brethran, 

But however this is Lotus we are talking about here, and i am pretty sure they can make anything happen..... apart from a new esprit of course   :(....., but they can make anything handle well.  :) 

A

21 hours ago, JayEmm said:

It is my understanding that the roof IS a little bit structural, once it is bonded in. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in these things will be along to confirm/deny

You can see your interior light through the roof, it's incredibly thin therefore bears little if no load. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

22 hours ago, DJW said:

Just checked in here and yep 15m40s in, mentions side structure of roof is structual

I'm still following B is for Build, but clearly he just makes it up as he goes along.    I liked the one where he put a plastic flared wing for larger wheels and cut away the steel  inner & outer wing but didn't do anything to connect them back up!!  (think that was his BRZ)

• Gold FFM
On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 16:31, Bibs said:

You can see your interior light through the roof, it's incredibly thin therefore bears little if no load. 

One more reason for adopting the SR look - the extra layer of black paint works wonders in eliminating that source of light pollution, :rolleyes: .

• 3 years later...

Has there been any more news on this, now 3 years later?

I have to point out that even a very thin roof could supply a fair bit of additional torsional rigidity. But according to Lotus own statement in the original announcement, apparently it is not required for the Evora which has a stiff chassis and anyway was designed with a Roadster/convertible in mind.

That being the case, I cannot understand why no-one is currently offering it as a conversion. Or why Lotus has not produced its own Roadster version. I want one.

“You can’t have too many bikes"

Nope. The project is deader than an dead thing. 

There is someone in the USA who tried to chop the roof off his Evora and it looks... 

...terrible. The crash structure/roll bar is slightly too far forward (just behind the front seats), unfortunately. 

Edited to add pictures of the ‘finished’ car:

spacer.png
spacer.png

I wonder if you could get something that looked like the concept through an IVA? 

Yes, it would cost too much to build and not be 'worth' it, but damn what a glorious looking car to have as a one off. You could make it speedster style with a slightly cut down windscreen and all. 

Theoretically, yes, you could. But it would be expensive beyond your craziest dreams. 

As you can see from the car above, the issue is the rollover structure/bar (which sits just behind line of the front seats). If you remove this, you have 2 major problems. Firstly, structural rigidity. The original Evora tub could probably cope without this bar. However, due to its smaller sills, the updated 400 tub probably couldn’t. (So you would fall into the same trap as many other convertibles - the body/tub would have to be strengthened elsewhere, hence adding lots of weight).

Secondly, the rollover protection itself would have to be replaced. To keep the lines from the concept, that would probably have to be some sort of automatic ‘pop up’ system (a la Gallardo etc). How much would that cost to design and build? Well, start with a blank cheque and work up from there.

So, this starts to give you an idea why the Evora roadster never really made it off the drawing board.

Fair point about the smaller sills. 

That's why I suggested more of a speedster, you wouldn't have the bother of trying to make a roof, it would be roofless all the time. 

Anyway, I don't have the money or desire to comission one and nowhere close to the skills (or again, money) needed to try and make one myself. I still think it'd be cool as hell though, that concept looks amazing.