free hit
counters
Brake Pads - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

As posted elsewhere, I need some new brake pads on the rear (which means I may as well change the fronts as well). My current thinking is that I would like to fit the same pads as can be found on the OE S2 exige 4 pot AP kit - which I believe are Pagid RS14s - as they lasted forever when I owned my S2 despite quite a lot of track use! I believe that RS14s are also what is fitted to the V6 Cup as standard. Is that correct? I have been reading elsewhere that the RS14s squeal rather badly at low speeds, which is not something I experienced on my S2 and makes me wonder whether my S2 had RS42s fitted instead, and whether these are what I should be putting these on my V6. Any views? Let's assume 3/4 trackdays per year and 3,000 road miles. Having ran out of the OE rears (DS2500s) rather suddenly (yes, that's mostly my fault for not checking properly) I don't really want to go that way again...

Edited by Gashead1105

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best pads for road use are the standard ones, work well and are silent, they also last quite well. For track I like the PF08 that I've been using

I'd stick to OE if I wasn't doing trackdays. 

Cup cars have same pads as standard cars (ferodo) well mine did.

I have never liked the Rs14 pads as there are too many stories of pad transfer vibrations.

Replace the rears like for like

I use PF08 and they are fantastic, work from cold, however they can be noisy when cold and the brake dust is aggressive especially when wet!!!

The one piece disc version of S2 4 pots used ferodo, it was the two piece disc version that ran rs14

Cups have the standard V6S Ferodo pads, as Dave said.

I've done 2 days on PF08 pads from Dave now. The performance is excellent, though they have an initial vibration phase which isn't 100% gone on mine yet after the two hard days. This is only evident on track once they're up to temp, but it's almost diminished now so isn't a concern. Lovely and smooth on the road. Decent bite from cold and can be squealy from time to time. I would recommend.

I will say over the 10 days I completed with standard pads, I didn't have any real issue with them, I just fancied something different after running them down to the backplates. That said, hopefully there will be a longevity benefit with the PF08s.

I had RS14's on my S2 and loved them, worked great on road and track with no noise.

My V6 Cup came with DS2500, but were stamped AP. I did not rate the pads very highly for track work.

I now use PF08, they are good but were a bugger to bed in, lots of vibration through the steering wheel, then they came good. They are also noisy at low speed, but I don't mind that.

If you want to try something different and maybe even better try Endless.

Thanks Arun.

Likewise Gary, the RS14s on my S2 were great on road and track with no noise; and that's probably where I'm going to go. Don't want to use the PF pads because I've read repeatedly that the dust is aggressive and I'm not risking my gold wheels(!), and I don't want to act as guinea pig for something new either. Will give the RS14s a try although I'm checking with H111 what the price difference is compared to the OEs. Braking on my car is currently traction limited rather than pad fade anyway.

Edited by Gashead1105

FWIW, RS14s came on the CupR.  I'm with @Seriouslylotus Dave regarding the pad transfer/bedding issues associated with the RS14 pads. You think that you've bedded  them properly only to discover you haven't and start experiencing vibrations/juddering under braking.  Had them from the factory on my Cup255 and 211 and never really liked them.  I've recently been using Cobalt pads and find them excellent, not sure they are available in the UK though.  They have the proper fitments for AP calipers, bedding is a non-issue and offer several different friction material/compounds......  https://www.cobaltfriction.com/category_s/1835.htm  and https://www.cobaltfriction.com/category_s/1911.htm

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

• 5 weeks later...

What is the references of the AP Racing calipers or the sizes of the pads?

Is this correct:

Front:

Caliper CP6600 D55

130mm x 82mm and thickness 16,7mm

Rear: 

Caliper CP6627 D51

129,5mm x 75mm and thickness 16,7mm

Edited by Dani
  • 1 month later...

I do think I'll have to replace my pads after the Alps run trip I'll do next week, and was thinking of RC5+, which are said to be more efficient than OEM RS2500, but still road compliant... any thoughts about them ?  in fact, I'd rather take a set with me next week, regarding the road book and the furious people I'll join :P !

• 3 weeks later...

rc5+ were amazing on my vx220, so good as fast road and track pads I fitted to them to my daughters vx220. They work well from cold unlike the standard pads.

For track the 6's are better but the dust can damage wheels if not cleaned off quickly and they can squeal, but they seriously work. The ds2500's on the my exige don't come close to either of those two pads and will be replaced soon one of these two types soon

Martin S

I had RC5 pluses on a Megane 250. They were rubbish, no feel, went off quickly and started coming away from the back plate after the first trackday.

I did have the pagids fitted last service and they are awesome, squeal a little bit occasionally but nothing too bad. 

1 hour ago, TonyKL said:

I'm happy with the ferodo DS2500s, I feel I can really brake at the limit of the car without triggering ABS.

Yes a great all round pad, but wait until you try some 'proper pads' Then you will know what great brakes are really like!!!!!!

17 hours ago, alias23 said:

Performance Friction are awesome! Highly recommended if you also frequent the track.

How have you found the brake dust Imran? mine are due a change very soon and I was all set for PF08 until I started reading that they can eat your alloys.

Cheers

5 hours ago, RedViper said:

How have you found the brake dust Imran? mine are due a change very soon and I was all set for PF08 until I started reading that they can eat your alloys.

Cheers

Personally i've not had a problem... they do create a lot of dust and inside the wheel it isn't very pretty as lots of baked on dust. However the outside of the wheel looks fine and no problems with cleaning from my perspective. I use Bilberry to clean the wheels and about twice a year apply a decent covering of wax to protect.

www.alias23.com

No issues with dust here either. The break-in period was completed in the dry, so no issues there, and subsequent washes have had the dust come off no more difficult than with other pads.