free hit
counters
Car breakdown cover - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Got the insurance renewal document in for my 2016 Mondeo, and, as per bloody usual, the price has gone up with no valid reason, this time by a whopping 15%. Now, normally they try and sneak it up a few quid each year in the hope that you won't notice, but they went for it big time, this time around. Yet my circumstances haven't changed at all, apart from being a year older. The car is also now a year old, and given that the value of new cars drops like a stone, hence they're insuring something with a lot less value, one would have expected a lower premium. Sadly this was not the case.

But here's the thing: Whilst doing the usual rounds with the comparison sites, I decided to dig a bit deeper to see what I was getting for the money, and one of add-ons I checked was the breakdown cover that each insurance company offers, and all was not what it seemed. If you think you're getting AA or RAC levels of service at a cheaper rate, then do check the small print. Suffice to say, after going through a number of them, I found the level of cover varies enormously. By way of an example, one of them offered annual breakdown cover for about £28, but that didn't include any recovery whatsoever, and it only included an hour's roadside assistance. So you could breakdown somewhere miles from home, and if they don't fix it in an hour, that's it - you're on your own, sunshine. Some only included one breakdown call-out a year, too.

Caveat emptor, chaps!

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm having a breakdown working on this SE. Am I covered?

The small print is the all important.

I had a breakdown last year inside the M25 and was expecting to get recovered home (Devon)

Get this, my policy said and I knew I had  -  "Full European Breakdown Cover"

- but only up to 20 miles from my home!!!! - How the Fook am I going to be in Europe 20 miles from home!! ?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Well, technically you're in Europe anywhere that is 20 miles (or less) from your home, I guess you meant, How can you be within 20 miles of your home if you're in mainland Europe? I think that sort of cover is about:- the recovery can be 20 miles, so that's 20 miles to your home if its within that range or 20 miles to a garage for the repair. It may be enough for some people, if they aren't bothered which repairer does the work, but not something I'd want on a Lotus, or for myself where I normally do the work myself.

19 minutes ago, andydclements said:

Well, technically you're in Europe anywhere that is 20 miles (or less) from your home, I guess you meant, How can you be within 20 miles of your home if you're in mainland Europe? I think that sort of cover is about:- the recovery can be 20 miles, so that's 20 miles to your home if its within that range or 20 miles to a garage for the repair. It may be enough for some people, if they aren't bothered which repairer does the work, but not something I'd want on a Lotus, or for myself where I normally do the work myself.

Yeah you are right Andy, but if I've specifically requested European Breakdown Cover, surely I would expect to be covered more than 20 miles from home, unless I'm missing something and it was the Lotus unfortunately. ?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Same old excuse for insurance Companies,   Just because your circumstances have not changed they will always put the insurance up anyway,  They say most of the increases are due to other folks regards insurance fraud etc,  Like whiplash claims etc.  So they say they have to put the prices up,  also the goverment recently increased some tax or something that has also bunked up the cost.   Its basically a big scam and we all get ripped,  they know you need insurance so basically can charge what they like and just hope that you stay with them. 

Regarding that breakdown cover its crap,  you are far better just joining the AA OR RAC direct imo,  a friend of mine recently broke down a good few miles from home, he had cover on his insurance with the RAC but had to pay the RAC to up the cover to get him home. 

A