free hit
counters
Lotus Reveal 798kg Elise Sprint - Page 3 - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Reveal 798kg Elise Sprint

On 4/27/2017 at 15:51, nerobi said:

"In the cabin, the instruments are now white on black. That means you can now actually read them at twilight. A change 21 years too late in coming." Err, right. Never let reality get in the way of a good quip. I thought they changed that towards the end of the S2 era. 2007, 2008 ish?

Still, he seems smugly positive.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi there I ran the car in but unfortunately was given the opportunity as a passenger in a TLF member's car that had the zr265 treatment. Sold!  His car has the Nitrons on it, I opted for the

The original 190hp Toyota engine which appeared in 2004/2005 would rev out to 8500+rpm, so it was a real screamer with a cam change at 5750rpm, so obviously the new generation of engines deliver their

I Have to say that I really love this new styling, especially the new front end, never a fan of the previous version, looked a bit too cutesy for me, particularly like the new interior. I wonder

Posted Images

8 hours ago, SFO said:

I note that he said the latest 2ZR-FE engine isn't that fun. It's serviceable but not as fun as the old 2ZZ-GE or Rover K-series. As a prospective Elise buyer it would be useful to know what some Elise owners on this forum think about that statement?

9 hours ago, cib24 said:

Anyone?

Everyone's different but is all I can say is the engineers at Hethal wouldn't put out something that doesn't work. 

In an era where Porsche have been engine downsizing to tick emission boxes Lotus have carried on doing the lightweight thing...

Elise is the benchmark in handling. The engine choice is subjective. Do you want or need the extra power? Personally I do so a supercharger makes sense (no lag, just a bit noisy) as there's constant torque and I can mix it with anything. Up to about 80-90 mph I'm as quick as anything in my 217bhp Elise, it's just right.

Personally think the car journalists love to go on and on and oooooonnnnn about purist NA and manual gearboxeszzzzzzzzzzzz?

So boring, let's just say it works and you need to test drive one!! Lotus are cool, fun, cheap to run and hardly depreciate compared to most cars.. Do it ?

Thanks. The plan is to test drive one in the coming weeks when I can make the commute from London to see the cars I want to see, but naturally I want to have a good idea of what I want before I make a commute. I'm only interested in the supercharged cars and I wonder if the 8500 RPM 2ZZ-GE is more entertaining than the 7000 RPM 2ZR-FE in the newer cars. I know the new motor has more torque but perhaps it is less thrilling unless the gearing has been changed to take advantage?

Personally I think the Supercharged 2ZZ probably is the pick of the engines, it just really suits the Elise nature, but the latest engine works really well and judging by the sound clip above on the 220 Sprint Lotus have certainly tuned the exhaust nicely!

New 220 SC motor is very different to the old 2ZZ, but it sounds nice, pulls hard and works well.

Only issue is it feels like it wants to keep revving, you can hit the limiter easily.

Much easier to drive fast.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing. With so many wings popping up through the range these days I wonder whether these will be called "the Halfords years" in some years time. I know I may be in the minority here, and that these cars appeal to a certain public which seems to be the only one buying Lotus nowadays, but I prefer the more subtle cars. Hopefully there will be a place for those also in the future.

It may have been more interesting if they had compared the original S1 with a new Elise 1.6 Sport, two cars that share the philosophy. The 250 Cup has more in common with the S1 Exige than the S1 Elise, and much of the criticism aimed at the 250 Cup could be aimed at the original Exige, but the Exige was aimed at a different market to the Elise, just as the 250 Cup is aimed at a different market to the Elise 1.6 Sport.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Neal H said:

It may have been more interesting if they had compared the original S1 with a new Elise 1.6 Sport, two cars that share the philosophy. The 250 Cup has more in common with the S1 Exige than the S1 Elise, and much of the criticism aimed at the 250 Cup could be aimed at the original Exige, but the Exige was aimed at a different market to the Elise, just as the 250 Cup is aimed at a different market to the Elise 1.6 Sport.

S1 compared to new Elise sport would be a much better comparision

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• 5 months later...

Much enjoyed this video review. Finally an honest review with genuine enthusiasm from someone who really 'gets' the car. I have a huge soft spot for the Elise Sprint in particular. I know they're expensive but they are also very special little cars. If buying fast cars was done purely for driving pleasure Lotus would sell a vast amount more of Elises. As it is these remain ridiculously rare.

Such a missed opportunity that there isn’t a Lotus Motorsport to offer 250bhp upgrades for the 220 cars. Easy money for Lotus.

6 hours ago, The Pits said:

Such a missed opportunity that there isn’t a Lotus Motorsport to offer 250bhp upgrades for the 220 cars. Easy money for Lotus.

agreed, it makes you wonder what exactly is discussed in pow wow meetings up there..  what seems like a no brainer and logical  to us gets overlooked..

@Ol' dead eyes 👌🏼

Spot on. I do admire people that just get on with it! I've always been reluctant to mess with OEM set up but as Lotus does it anyway I have a few questions..

How does the car handle it? Did you upgrade the suspension and brakes?

Rough idea of cost?

Is it reversible?

I need more POWER!

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if they offer an Elise Sprint 250. It follows what's been happening over the last couple of years with the Exige and Evora.