free hit
counters
Dash leather lifted - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I've noticed the leather has lifted in two places where it folds over an edge, just inboard of the front speakers. I'm thinking that a full replacement would be an expensive ballache of a job, so has anyone here successfully remedied this kind of thing before? If so, how did you do it?

Photo 17-03-2017, 16 52 25 (1).jpg

Photo 17-03-2017, 16 54 08.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shut your eyes 

just what a man with ocd wanted to hear

This could go right, or it could go very wrong. I shall get the wife to do it.

Posted Images

Pretty sure almost every Esprit I've seen has been like this to an extent - even my '98 which is vinyl.  Ergo very few people have addressed it!

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

It's hard enough to replace even with the screen out, all that bloody scraping and cleaning...But how about a hypodermic syringe and contact adhesive?

..and before anyone asks, no, that's not my "something for the weekend, sir?"

17 minutes ago, DaveyT said:

It's hard enough to replace even with the screen out, all that bloody scraping and cleaning...But how about a hypodermic syringe and contact adhesive?

..and before anyone asks, no, that's not my "something for the weekend, sir?"

Screenshot_2017-03-18-16-20-03.thumb.png.91115d003c2ce2059e29c96a3ce07a18.png

I have one of these somewhere, I try to find it if you'd like to try

I replaced the badly shrunk leather in my car with black vinyl when the interior was out.

I meticulously cleaned the old glue off and fitted the new vinyl with high temp adhesive. After a coupl of months the vinyl has already started to lift in the sameness place as yours. My advice - save yourself the hassle and learn to live with it.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Pop down the chemist - seriously - stuff like that is pennies 

You can't get stuff like that at the chemist, those syringes are a lot bigger than it looks on the picture, they are about the same diameter as a silicone cartridge, the bore of the larger needle is about 2mm, which it needs to be to dispense adhesives. 

• Like 1

Maybe you could get a hole through from the underside by accessing it via the speaker hole and then syringe in some contact adhesive?

Would not be the easiest but you could get straight to the area and the hole would always be there then if it happened again.

Or lift the leather from the dash it a bit more from the speaker hole to the area, put your adhesive in and then keep adding adhesive until you have retreated back to the speaker hole.

Contact works best if the two surfaces are allowed to dry before being put together. There may be another glue better suited to what you want to do. I'd talk to an upholsterer.

Other thing is like @eeyoreish said, just live with it.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

You can't get stuff like that at the chemist, those syringes are a lot bigger than it looks on the picture, they are about the same diameter as a silicone cartridge, the bore of the larger needle is about 2mm, which it needs to be to dispense adhesives. 

Pop down the vets then - I promise they have needles that size !!

Only here once

Had a trawl around the web about this particular subject. Most car forums have something about it, although "Have it replaced under warranty" is the usual response to fixing the problem. Clearly, this isn't going to happen in my case.

I found this vid, which was interesting, although if there's a thin foam layer underneath, it could interfere with the process. As to whether it could be made to sit down properly without any more adhesive, is anyone's guess, but piercing it to release it makes sense. I suspect that it's not air, rather gases or fumes given off when the glue is heated by the sun.

Margate Exotics.

And it's a single surface even if it is compound.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

What you have is so common,  The leather has shrunk with the heat of the sun through the screen creating the lift.. So unlike the video you need to stretch the leather..  This can be do by steaming but you will still need new adhesive layer.  Getting that in place evenly so it does not look like a bodge fix is the issue... Undoing the leather you have,even carefully, will crease and mark the outer finish which will then need a recolonizing to eradicate,  even then its a shit of a job with the screen in and very rarely looks 100% done this way.   The only correct way is replace with new, To do this you need the screen out as it is sealed under the leading edge. I saw one done without the screen took out , looked fine for 2 years then shrunk back a lifted by the screen edge , a real eye saw then..   So unfortunately its always the way with restoration,  very few short cuts work for long .... decision time !!    

• Like 1

The rest of the car must be in bloody fantastic nick if you've gotten around to addressing such tidbits!

I'd also go the syringe route. Or vacuum-assisted-adhesive-injection if you wanna be all Colin Chapman about it. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Car should be in fantastic nick, but only if and when I get the time/money/entusiasm to put it all back together.

Right now, it looks like the locals have stripped it for any metal that's worth flogging.

Margate Exotics.

5 hours ago, Sparky said:

Then it'll go right.  But it'll be pink.

and potentially furry with a propensity to smell like Pot Pourri.

Once I get some time to seriously look at the issue, I might try steaming the leather first, then some glue injection before clamping it down somehow, but yet to be decided.

Margate Exotics.