free hit
counters
Practical Classics S1 article - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Practical Classics S1 article

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I kinda disagree.  Roger Moore can decide not to appear next to an imitation of a car he once drove briefly in a film 30 years ago if he wants.  It's just a car.  And, he neither needs the money, the

Top Gear seemed to like it when we helped them out with one in 2012! 

The 'bad treatment' by Lotus is that they didn't offer him a very significant discount on buying an Esprit. Bless. 

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Fridge said:

He turned them down when they offered him an S1 at a discount as he didn't like the car. 

Sorry I thought I read above that he didn't get the discount he wanted, I must have been skimming too quickly.

But... if in a quiet moment Roger Moore or anyone else for that matter, should enquire whether I care if they like my car or not, I should say OI! NAAAAAOOO! 

PS at 01:55 in this Jay Leno piece, it's claimed that Moore did own a P1800.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fridge said:

I believe did think the Volvo he drove in The Saint was a good car however. But he didn't buy one of those either.

Errrrr he did buy a P1800 it was his car that was used in the t.v. series... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwCjOakOMKE&t=2s

Edit: Looks like George beat me to it!

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

8 minutes ago, GTK said:

@Paul Coleman this text from an aunt just now :)

"Just picked up a copy of 'practical classics' for you! A white esprit on cover!!! In London till Sat x"

That's a great aunt.

• Like 2

The guys kicking on 90, give him a break. He's admitted being a selfish prick for much of his life, which is why he got involved with Unicef as a way of giving something back. As far as I can tell his missus is worth 10 times as much as he is!

It does sound like he needs to have more eloquent press people, though they must get asked the same things every single day and just trot it out.

I have so much Esprit info i'll not be buying the mag, but it did sound like it was done by some new wave young journo who always think they are redicovering history. Did he really think RM would be remotely interested, seriously? Cut to the Moore household - "Roger Roger, come quickly; Practical Classics are on the phone...."

• Like 2

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

21 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

What was printed in the article was pretty much what I said give or take a few bits of poetic licence and it is true that my all-time favourite classic is the e-type. I actually owned one before I owned the Esprit and regretted selling it. The Esprit is my second all-time favourite and I wouldn't say I am a petrol head at all, to me it's more about art than horsepower. I appreciate the design of the Esprit in the same way I do the e-type, they were both landmarks of their era and have stood the test of time.

Very best of luck with the e-Type restoration, Paul. I hope that it gives you more pleasure than it seems your Esprit gave you.

I guess it would have been nice to have an Esprit on the cover of a magazine that was the owner's first all-time favourite car, with a supporting article which reflected that view. I mean, six months!

a Lotus petrolhead

Sudders and Dany

13 hours ago, NickS said:

Back to the dressing room for half an orange and a ticking off!

Nick, save me the other half of that orange, will you?

Sudders and Dany

7 hours ago, Suddabym said:

Very best of luck with the e-Type restoration, Paul. I hope that it gives you more pleasure than it seems your Esprit gave you.

I guess it would have been nice to have an Esprit on the cover of a magazine that was the owner's first all-time favourite car, with a supporting article which reflected that view. I mean, six months!

a Lotus petrolhead

Well thank God I didn't call it an under powered plastic kit car or I'd probably have had death threats by now :sofa:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GTK said:

@Bibs, what episode of Top Gear can I see that Esprit at Pinewood feature in? The Wiki TG episodes listing didn't seem to show it.

It was a special show, I'll find the thread on here about it when I'm back at work tomorrow mate. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

1 hour ago, Paul Coleman said:

Well thank God I didn't call it an under powered plastic kit car or I'd probably have had death threats by now :sofa:

Its ok Paul ,  Do not worry you still own the Esprit,  However if you sell it then maybe the death threats will start lol  :P

A

• 2 weeks later...

Just got round to reading the feature @Paul Coleman. The Roger Moore thing is just a journo looking for a strong opener, you don't sound out of love with the Esprit at all, and by the end I had the distinct impression you probably couldn't bring yourself to sell. It's a great feature to have, a little extra pat on the back for all the work.

If I'm frank I don't remember PC magazine's style being so dumbed down, there's so much to your Esprit and they just skimmed over every opportunity to give us a little resto heroin. If I was having an E-type it'd be a fixed head every time. Such a cool looking car. 

Oh btw my very first car (for the road) was a '79 GT Clubman :) I'd love it back.

What's that I see on 10" wheels lurking in the back of your garage?

12 hours ago, GTK said:

What's that I see on 10" wheels lurking in the back of your garage?

That's my daughter's 1976 Mini 1000 which may feature in a future edition of PC

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Not a bad choice at all! Be glad she didn't go to any of the new cars. ;)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.