free hit
counters
v8 elite - Ebay UK - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Farmer Bob

v8 elite

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks - there was me hoping this one would stay under the radar :angry:

• Like 1

Only here once

Lovely color and I'm sure with the V8 it will be a nice car. But the bonnet bulge is a bit awkward!

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

No Lotus is under the radar nowdays Barry :)  Folks are even fighting for the car that was once thought of the ugly sister,  Fashion is a funny thing that can change onces taste very quickly !  

I like the colour,  I reckon new wheels and the proper trim put on that car and it would be a pretty nice car to own imo.  Do not forget these cars now have a pretty big fan base from the retro car scene also, even more so this one due to the mods.  I think it will do very well bids wise imo. :)

A

Wheels would be better silver and is a mark of how much time and effort has been put into this over the years. Solenoid doors too - that would be annoying with a flat battery!

Yes it was  - It wouldn't open when I viewed it first time round. Drivers door still wont open - somethings wrong with the solenoid or power to it, it also has no power at the ignition switch in what could be an immobiliser issue.

It has potential, but would need a fair bit spent. The pictures flatter the paint - you can see the crazing at the nose, its microblistered elsewhere and has a few stresscracks and a chunk out the drivers door. Ideally you would sort out the bonnet bulge and have it resprayed.

Still trying to decide if I want to bid or not....

Its not a bad starting point for someone, but could not live with the doors like that, but easily changed,  new wheels and the brightwork replaced as well as the waisline band would bring this car on leaps and bounds,  if i where you Dunc and you have the room, i would have a punt :)

A

room is the issue - I would have to sell my Merc SL to make room and it took a bit of finding when I bought it last year.

I'm also not sure I need another project - already got a project car and a project bike.

Head vs Heart.

But I am struggling to bond with the Mercedes SL - it's a bit more refined than what I'm used to. I think I need something more lairy....missing my HSV Holden.

Thats it Dunc,  Have a punt,   sell the german contraption and then collect the elite beast , if its meant to be you will win the auction, if not no dramas :thumbup:

A

Dunc ,

Don't worry , 2 and a half grand is a lot of Money , and I have a feelin we will see it relisted soon ?

Lee

1 hour ago, Dunc said:

room is the issue - I would have to sell my Merc SL to make room and it took a bit of finding when I bought it last year.

I'm also not sure I need another project - already got a project car and a project bike.

Head vs Heart.

But I am struggling to bond with the Mercedes SL - it's a bit more refined than what I'm used to. I think I need something more lairy....missing my HSV Holden.

I know what you mean about Mercs. You can't fault them but you can't bond with them either. I spent a day at Mercedes Benz World a while ago, drove several AMG V8 cars, tremendously quick and competent but rather characterless I felt.

Richard

• Like 1

Yep - that's pretty much my feeling. The SL is a hugely pretty car - gets loads of compliments from non-car people and it's fast, but its just a bit sterile for me.

I suspect the new buyer of this elite might be somewhat less than chuffed to turn up and find that the "MOT'd car that drove to where it is currently sitting in October" is immobilised, has a drivers door that wont open and has absolutely no power at the ignition barrel when you turn the key...

Whilst what the seller said in the description was technically true, it kind of painted a picture of a car that would drive away without mild tinkering - which this one probably wont. It's a "recover it back to your shed and play with it at your leisure" candidate rather than something you'll be driving tomorrow.

Whilst I respect the 'each to their own' attitude, I'm not a fan of this car. If you want a Rover V8 then buy an SD1 (I've had one and loved it - until it rusted beyond economic repair), otherwise enjoy the Elite/Éclat for what they were - a 70's time piece with exceptional road manners and just a fun cruiser.

That bonnet 'adjustment' is simply horrid (IMO)  :sofa:

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

The elite and eclat were designed from the outset to take a V8, and if it wasn't for the 1974 oil crisis, we'd all be lusting after Lotus 909 equipped 4 litre 32 valve V8 Lotus elites and eclats.

The aluminium rover V8 is the closest we will get to seeing the cars as Colin & Co envisioned them - a muscular 4 litre alloy V8 GT.

I've had a few eclats (6?) both with 4 cylinders and a V8, and driven umpteen others. There really is no comparison between the way the V8 drives and the 4 cylinder cars. I'd definitely view it as a plus for a car I was going to drive.

This car's got a hideous bonnet bulge because it is fitted with SU carbs. A bonnet bulge isn't needed to fit a rover V8 on an offenhauser manifold with a Holley, so this could have been sorted out fairly easily. The early excel bonnet also sits an inch higher in the centre (doesnt dip like the elite and eclat) although it is also slightly different in profile at the front lights and needs smoothing before it will look good. I have one sitting in the garden awaiting me getting a few spare hours in the sunshine.

• Like 2

Well, its back up again! I get the v8 thing, I own a couple but it needs to look as well as sound good and clearly this doesn't. Can you really get a holly/weber carb with an offenhauser under the eclat/bonnet? In the mg, the standard su carb with the dodgy mg manifold was lower and a better fit, just set nearer back and nearer to the bulkhead.

yes, an offenhauser and a holley 390 with a pancake sit on top filter will fit.

The Edelbrock performer is a better inlet manifold at higher (4500+) rpm, but it sits a bit higher and needs a box - which is why mine has a small rectangle.

There is a V8 elite where the owner has grafted in a capri bonnet bulge and it looks factory. It works really really well.

An early excel bonnet will also give you another inch or so as it doesn't dip in the middle like the elite/eclat. Needs smoothing at the headlights to look correct however. I have one and I have been thinking of changing my bonnet arrangement, but I also have a supercharger kit, which I may or may not fit, and if I do, I will probably need to make adjustments. It would be a side mount blow through arrangement with an Eaton M90.