free hit
counters
SOUP - My new series about my Series 2 - Page 13 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GTK

SOUP - My new series about my Series 2

@silverfrost The bodywork is generally really good and the paint would have come up well with a proper correction, the spray job when it was painted white was obviously a top notch job. Reality is though that it a few spider cracks and one other minor scrape, but I want a perfect car. Plus it has to go back to silver!

@gvy Did see your work mate and it was the inspiration while I was staring at the brackets mounting my silencer. I realised I can kill two birds with one stone by making a very shallow recess in the silencer, like a rectangular box maybe only 5mm deep with captive nuts in it, and having a lid section that bolts into the recess but also forms the mount for the whole thing. The body of the silencer will probably need some reinforcement [inside] but that's totally possible and a nice mod. It's all the kind of stuff I'd love to do with a TIG welder.

1690642342_ForumSig200x25TLF.jpg.9e2d1cb238793de9f89fb9465f4722ca.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well done George. Things are getting exposed and workable.

Looking forward to the next epsode, but please don't forget the interviews, the other cars etc.

Kind regards,

jacques

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Thanks lads. If only I could forget the Range Rover, it's not pleasant outside anymore and there's still some work to be done.

Comin' at you from the tent btw ⛺

The old mobile personal hotspot is a gift.

On 18/11/2018 at 21:55, Jacques said:

Looking forward to the next epsode, but please don't forget the interviews, the other cars etc.

Don't listen to this nonsense. Keep it 100% Esprit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Your chassis has seen some action over the years! 

• Haha 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Awesome episode George,

I have never seen an esprit chassis butchered like that !     It is about the only time you are lucky enough that it is not galvanised as it will be easier to weld. 

I would suggest putting on oversize plate the same thickness as the chassis i.e like the ones that had been pop riveted on,  Do not try to weld it face to face to hide the repair,  over lap the repair as it is what it is, a repair and even though it will show,  it will be stronger for it,  do not do long weld runs,  crank up the power on the mig to get a good weld pool and weld a run at a time to avoid distortion :thumbup:

Regarding the hold by the sump area,  may just be worth welding in captive nuts and bolting a plate in,  that area is strong enough, but will be good for when you service or work underneath to get at the oily bits :)

A

Good on you George, I like your way of thinking.

It's a steel chassis, nothing's been done that can't be undone and re-done to perfection, at the end of the day it's just a load of steel plates and tubes.

Still a little anxious that I don't make a mess of it, but I'll take my time and all will be well hopefully.

• Like 2

I’m stunned at them bodges. It must have taken ages to chew that hole.

cut, trim and insert - plenty of patience and sneaky flap pad use and you will have a seemless repair 👍

Only here once

There's a man out there who takes his bodging very seriously, he's a master. In his spare time he trims Bonsai trees off at the stem.

• Haha 2

Excellent stuff!

Is that a tent I see in the corner? If so, that’s real commitment!

Margate Exotics.

4 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Excellent stuff!

Is that a tent I see in the corner? If so, that’s real commitment!

Thanks mate. That's a tent! Episode 35 if you want the story :)

10 hours ago, GTK said:

Thanks mate. That's a tent! Episode 35 if you want the story :)

Good grief, I missed an episode! Kind of explains a niggling lack of continuity I was feeling a while back!😀

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Very cool George,  I was highly entertained by the four scales lol,  have to say i simply find the look of th esprit stripped down more appealing than in on piece lol  if that make makes sense.  

Good luck with the blasting,  look forward to the repairs on the chassis,  intresting to see the movement on the chassis during the little bit of heat added,  just goes to show what can be seen by the camera involving heat expansion !  

Flicked throught a magazine the othe rday here in Japan,  EMC froged alloys caught my eyss,, they do a four spoke custom alloy that will suit my jps esprit race car raeplica buil down tot the T,  price is eyes watering thought lol.

A

1 hour ago, silverfrost said:

EMC froged alloys caught my eyss,,

Tim, perfect fit for project Kermit... 

• Like 1

The EMC website seems to be down? Couldn't see them, but there's a yellow S2 in Japan with Hayashi Street wheels on it and they look amazing. Think they're 15's, which as a size really suit the S2 without looking out of place.

Thanks a mill Dan, and yeah the heat in the panel was disturbing until I watched again and saw the spring back.

• Like 1