free hit
counters
SOUP - My new series about my Series 2 - Page 14 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

SOUP - My new series about my Series 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been waiting for today for over a year so with quite a bit of trepidation... I want to show you the first episode of the story of my classic cars. It's the beginning of life with my Esprit even t

There's a familiar face in the midst of this, banging on as usual about how he knows Goldie Lookin' Chain. Blah blah GLC all day long, yes we know mate   

Posted Images

Nice job as usual. 👍

I have a theory about the damage to the front wishbone stud access hole. The rearmost nylock is a PIA to get on that stud with it in situ, and the hole never lines up accurately with the stud either. Someone has fitted the nut to the stud first, then inserted the stud through said hole and into the snubber, upper wishbone, other snubber through the various castor adjustment spacers, chassis other snubber wishbone ect ect, when it comes to the last bit, pushing the nut through, it becomes apparent that, because the hole in the bodywork doesn't line up accurately with the stud the nut won't go through the hole.

So what do you do; A, do you dismantle everything and start again? ; or B, do you find a big hammer and a drift and whack it through? 

I think B had occurred here, please don't ask me how I know this.:whistle:

• Haha 2

:lol: for shame!

Something interesting, and maybe this is a G/S car difference, but the stud on the G car is a bolt, there's only a nut on one end, rather than one at both. Still, never fear... same bodge is possible :thumbup:

• Like 1

I don't remember seeing you remove the fibreglass inner sill covers, I take it they were present. 

The black gunk along the top of the sill /door aperture could have been used to hide a carpet cut or supplied too short to reach the edge, bulking out underneath would enable it to reach the door seal. Due to differences in tub dimensions, we now supply our carpets oversized in that area to allow them to be glued down then trimmed back flush with the top of the lip.

Interesting. I have been doing a lot of research into the carpets and found an owner with an original car in the same colour combination as mine, and he sent me some images. Couple of things stuck out - the faux leather trim on the carpets and the matching rubber wear pad on the inner arch of the passenger's footwell. Oddly on the driver's side there isn't a pad and the carpet has suffered. Also there's a bump stop for the throttle pedal here, this is an S1 car, but I'd never seen that?

IMG_4482.JPG.101edd874e590c7d1c8aaacdfb0eb1b3.JPG

Esprit S1 Trim & Throttle Stop.png

23 minutes ago, GTK said:

Oddly on the driver's side there isn't a pad and the carpet has suffered.

I can see why it's missing, this being a LHD car the throttle peddle is next to the tunnel rather than the wheelarch, I bet there's an arch protector on both sides as usual, but this is not very well thought out Mr interior LHD designer, you have a heavy rubber mat where not needed, but you don't have one on the tunnel where it's required. On your car George there should be 10"x9" rubber floor mats, 6"x9" rubber arch protectors on both sides.

I've not seen that peddle stop before, but it will have been necessary on the LHD cars, you'll notice in your footwell there is a small ledge (Return) between the arch and front bulkhead, I'm guessing that stop will be necessary to mimick that RHD ledge.

Faux leather trim was standard on all the G series cars.

Steve 

• Like 1

@Steve V8 You passed the test :D, man you're all over it aren't you. How were the wear pads let in, glued? 

@drdoom Thanks for the pic mate! I was about to point out how different your shell looks but then yours must be a red car? It's still strange in the sense that my car definitely has white spray paint under the silver overspray, and yours doesn't seem to have an undercoat. Looks like you have some factory markings just left of the throttle stop.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

New shopping  welder....?    

George, dig a little deeper and think ahead,  ac/dc TIG Welder,  purchase a used one, not cheap mind,  but get the knack of it, create beutiful steel welds, and you can learn alli welding at the same time to knock up fuel tanks, expansion tanks and all manner of fab things for your esprit to make it lighter. 

Someone needs to make some alloy brake and clutch master cylinder brackets,  as they would look sweet under te hood and also be a massive reduction in the rotten heavy things that frequent most project esprit under bonnet areas.    Winner Winner chicken Dinner  :thumbsup:

A

• 2 weeks later...

Actually did decide to give up on the Lotus branded Motorola unit that was supposedly factory spec'd on my car, and got into a two week long obsession with learning everything I could about classic car stereo of the early to mid '80's. the net result was a load of fun info and this full logic baby for the Esprit...

5A118F46-381D-4B78-AF57-C76D14A8C02D.jpg

• Like 2

Looks the same as old unit in my Mk1 mr2 from years ago, until some bxxstard stole it along with my Duran Duran tape inside :rant:

Love the way these days that companies also offer the service of updating units from the 50s,60, 70s etc to still look the same but are converted with modern gubbins inside. 

Or the cheaper offer you can always by a personal cd player and use the converter that uyou just connect and push in the tape device in :)

• Sad 1

A

Buying the trinkets is like living half way between the daydream and reality :whistle:

Had one of those tape converters in my Mini for years. And the old CD walkman, that happened too. There was a platform you could get that was suspended on an articulated arm that you mounted to the side of the centre console, for the CD player to sit on.

• Like 1

I had one of those CD platform things, it was terrible, the CD skipped more than it played!  I can imagine that it wasn't great in a Mini, it was certainly far from great in a Lancia Delta.  The things we did back in the day to "upgrade" our cars, eh! 😆

• Haha 1