free hit
counters
Latest 'Project' arrives home - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
oilmagnet477

Latest 'Project' arrives home

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Congratulations with your Eclat. Nice pictures. Feels just like mine :) Needs lots of work, but in the end it will feel fine (I hope so) 

• Like 2

Well done Ant, looks better than the one I have just bought, did it come from Coltishall, there was a white one sitting outside a house there?

cheers Robert, yes it was in Coltishall. Will be a lot of work - it was a very similar £ to yours (included delivery which was a great help).

Ex owner was a really decent chap - loads of interesting car projects but I just got lucky with timing I guess.

don't let the photos fool you - it's a bit shabby <_<

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Hi Ant. Puts me to shame need to get my act together. 

18 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

cheers Robert, yes it was in Coltishall. Will be a lot of work - it was a very similar £ to yours (included delivery which was a great help).

Ex owner was a really decent chap - loads of interesting car projects but I just got lucky with timing I guess.

don't let the photos fool you - it's a bit shabby <_<

Its a small world, and goes to show how few there are about! At least you got an engine with it, so a better place to start from I think.

Clive - there's no shame attached to you - I just got distracted.

Maybe we should 'swap' a weekend's help to move each other along? Let me know what you think.......

On 3/25/2017 at 18:47, oilmagnet477 said:

@Dunc is this one on the register?

Nope - RWO 372R is a new one for the register.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Bit of an update - had a bit of a busy and successful week on fleabay which has resulted in a shed full of bits. Just some of the booty:

IMG_5122.thumb.JPG.63023f3c1cc5187caeb398f33ba3c59c.JPG

Front engine bay panel for the Elite and a spare windscreen top trim. I'm going to look into having some of these made if I can.....

IMG_5123.thumb.JPG.d1f5d1e4d2ef3ebc44f1c1c16adbcc34.JPG

A couple of very serviceable doors - lots of great bits to salvage there - not sure as yet what the beams are like but I got a couple of decent ones with this:

IMG_5128.thumb.JPG.bdbee115fb6f0c8f89ca533d849209ad.JPG  IMG_5129.thumb.JPG.8d46358cb9628af5cdb55564eb629aab.JPG IMG_5132.thumb.JPG.3893fada946a14613f64cb30152f451c.JPG IMG_5130.thumb.JPG.82b8c3a052e28c54cb9be811167d1061.JPG

Got some historic repairs which seem good and just needs some new diff bush cups at the rear - otherwise, I think a great starting point for the Éclat rebuild (after a major clean up!).

IMG_5124.JPGIMG_5125.JPG

• Like 1

So - with a heavy heart and after much discussion with No 1 Son, we have decided to move on this little beastie.

I am going to get an advert together for this car, plus a spare chassis in generally great nick (diff cups need welding on but are supplied) and also a good S/H windscreen (and possibly a few other odds and sods).

I have concluded that I simply am not going to have the time or budget to get to this in anything like a sensible timeframe and Tom is likely to be off doing other 'life' stuff before long so she has to go.

If anyone is at all interested in her then please PM me

Cheers

Ant

😒 that’s a shame. It the second car tho isn’t it ? Your still doing the first one ? 

Hi @Stuart Monument, yes, the Elite saga continues but slowly (I hate the heat!) and will remain but I just have to accept the reality that although keen, Tom simply doesn't yet have the confidence to progress without me doing the lion's share so we may have to revisit a project at a point in the future.

See you Thursday all being well

Pity. Looked like a whole bunch of business to be had with that. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Michael, you are not wrong but I need to focus on my Elite and recognise reality for once! An Éclat. however cool, doesn't make for a sensible first car, all be it that by the time we've finished it Tom will be in his 30's and I may well be in a care home lol

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 14:43, Dunc said:

Such a shame. An Eclat would make an excellent first car.

Mine was a dolomite sprint..

I'm guessing that it was in the days before young drivers had to pay ££££££££££££££££££ for insurance?

I know I wouldn't have been able to afford my first car (a 1500 Spitfire, swiftly followed by a 2600 SDI and a 2000 GT6) - doubt I ever had to pay more than £400-500 per annum for insurance.

There HAS to be a better way of allowing youngsters to have the fun we did back in the day..........I guess that's a whole different thread lol

Forum? There’s a few apps available for that sort of thing

apparently

Only here once

On 28/07/2018 at 19:07, oilmagnet477 said:

I'm guessing that it was in the days before young drivers had to pay ££££££££££££££££££ for insurance?

My mates were all getting ridiculous insurance quotes on 1.1 fiestas and citroen ax's.

At that time, on the proviso you had access to another car (which included being a named driver on my mums R21 GTX), you qualified for classic car insurance from 17 and up.

Enter...the dolomite sprint!

Mean but hideously unreliable because I had no cash to buy new bits....

3 hours ago, Dunc said:

My mates were all getting ridiculous insurance quotes on 1.1 fiestas and citroen ax's.

At that time, on the proviso you had access to another car (which included being a named driver on my mums R21 GTX), you qualified for classic car insurance from 17 and up.

Enter...the dolomite sprint!

Mean but hideously unreliable because I had no cash to buy new bits....

Looks like you'll be a bit younger than me then :angry:, driving ten years prior!

Really loving the cost of over 50's insurance though :P

By some quirk of age, inflation and choice of car, I dont think my premium has varied by £50 since I was 18 (l1970s...).    Its always been £350....    (apart from the Esprit which is cheap as chips)