free hit
counters
S4s temperature control cable broken - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S4s temperature control cable broken

Hello Everyone,

It appears that my temperature control cable is broken (B082P4295F). I tried to move it a little with a pair of pliers but it looks stuck (or maybe it's just hard to move it through the radio aperture, I don't know). I then thought it could be a good idea to inspect the other end of that green sleeve cable to operate it manually but ... I just can't find it in the workshop manual?! (not even a reference to a heater control system except maybe to a diverter valve but it seems that this one is more for the V8 and is operated with a depression capsule anyway, not a steel cable). Actually I would think the control cable just operates a flap to direct the air flow towards the heater or to bypass it, but ... I just don't know.

Any clue would be much appreciated ^^

Thanks in advance :)

RZkj

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Welcome to your worst nightmare.  On RHD cars the valve is mounted on top of the pedal box and virtually inaccessible.  Not sure on LHD!  Good luck, we're all counting on you...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

LOL, well, thank you! xD

Yes I suspected something like that, I have already heard about that dreadful matrix! :/

Do you happen to know where it is described in the workshop manual?! (or its official name so I can look for it?)

EDIT: I just found that thread:

Is it that valve which can be seen here? http://s471.photobucket.com/user/beamishprod/media/lotus/PB154365.jpg.html
I guess I should have a look at that part first?

---------

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/02/09/10363589-zany-swiss-man-installs-wood-burning-stove-in-car

Edited by Giniw

• Gold FFM

Check the cable moves the way you think it does. I could have sworn mine needed pulling - but it needed pushing. 

Its very had to get to - but worse case I was all set to cut a hole with a holesaw!!

Only here once

I think it needs pushing since the bit that emerges from the green sleeve plus the bit still attached to the command looks like the length it would need to be in the cold position. But I will double check, thank you.

Do you confirm the cable operates that valve http://s471.photobucket.com/user/beamishprod/media/lotus/PB154365.jpg.html? Would you recommend to try to jiggle it by hand?

(holesaw: all right, I think I am trying to understand ... :o:D)

Edited by Giniw

• Gold FFM

My dashboard is out, and I'm staring at it right now. It's push for cold, pull for hot. At least that's what it should do. Whether mine does that is anyone's guess.

I also have the Ranco heater water valve on the bench.

Good luck with the cable, it's not an easy job.

Margate Exotics.

12 hours ago, ian29gte said:

It was like witnessing the opening of Pandora's Box.

To an engineer like yourself Pandora's Box is just a mere  bagatelle,  such pleasures are so hard to find these days.

1 hour ago, ian29gte said:

That confirms it:- You're definitely deranged!

I thought you already knew this , but all compliments are warmly received..    Now where did i leave that very  important part... :cry:   

• Like 2

I managed to access to the water valve and to operate it manually. It was a bit hard to move at first but it's now much better. Of course the cable is still broken but I will order one soon. I will post a few photos later.

Anyway, now that the heater valve is in the hot position I tried to flush better the coolant.

When I first flushed it with the heater valve in the cold position, only around 10.5 litre of water sprung out. I was surprised but I thought the rest was stuck because of the closed water valve. Now that it's in the hot position, less than 0.5 litre of water sprung out.

So ... I am wondering if it's normal?! Isn't the Esprit supposed to have a 18 litre coolant capacity?! I understand that I dropped a bit of water on the floor but nowhere near 7 litre :D. And I find it suspicious that around 7 litre remain stuck in the lower areas of the pipes and engine.

So, is it normal that only around 11 litre come out when flushing the car? Do I need to blow air somewhere in a pipe?

Thanks in advance :)

• Gold FFM

I've had the engine out twice in three years, and each time I've never managed to completely drain all the coolant by using the main coolant radiator drain plug. It's surprising how much gets left behind and keeps dropping out over the garage floor. The engine always has quite a lot of coolant left in it, and so do the pipes. @Barrykearleythe S4s charge-cooler system is connected by a bleed pipe to the header tank, so it's not strictly separate.

Are you draining it from the main radiator drain plug? Do you suspect that the cooling system has been contaminated, or run without the correct level of coolant/water mix?

As for putting air into the system, it's not something I would normally do, unless I could control the pressure.

edit- I think the S4s charge cooler system is plumbed the same as the S4, and GT3.

Margate Exotics.

@Barrykearley > If I am not wrong, the older cars (<= SE I think) had two totally separated systems, with two reservoirs. The late cars (>= S4 ?) still have two separated-ish systems but they share a single plastic tank, the chargecooler system being connected to it only with its air bleeding tube.

As far as I know, the engine coolant system has a 18 litres capacity, and the chargecooler 6, so in both cases there should be a total of 18+6=24 litres of coolant in an Esprit.

I only flushed the engine coolant system with the RHS radiator drain plug so I was expecting to retrieve around 18 litres of coolant, and only got around 11, which seemed really low even if taking into account that there is still a bit of water in the plumbing.

@ian29gte > Thank you for the feedback. Yes I used the RHS radiator drain plug. The coolant looked clean, and although I haven't checked the coolant level just before I drained it I am almost sure it was OK. I have a regulated compressor so I may put just a little bit of pressure in the system. I will check my regulator first if I decide to give it a try just in case :D

Is there a draining plug for the chargecooler system? If I am not wrong they only say to "drain the chargecooler system" in the workshop manual. Not very helpful :ermm:

PS: as for the heater valve I accessed it by removing the front plastic cover where the air blower is screwed in the front boot. I will take a couple of photos.

Edited by Giniw

• Gold FFM

There's no drain for th charge cooler system, I'm afraid it's just a case of pulling hoses off, preferably at the lowest available point, possibly at the charge cooler radiator itself, if you can get to it. See the photo, that's what a left-hand end looks like. I cannot remember if the chassis pipes are lower than the cooler, but in any case, there's probably not much to choose between them.

I'd be interested in seeing those photos of the heater valve.

IMG_3995.JPG

Margate Exotics.