free hit
counters
A shaggy fuel tank story - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

A shaggy fuel tank story

Sparky

• Gold FFM

Many moons ago, Pete asked me to look at his TE to figure out why it would run poorly.  After drawing blanks with all the standard stuff I started looking at tanks.  When I drained the RH tank, it was full of a slimy blue substance that kept blocking flow (there's a thread way back about this, but I haven't searched it out yet) so I decided to remove the tank.  The top of the tank looked brand new - suspiciously so - and just seemed wrong.  Turns out it was a screed of filler painted black.  I removed the filler and found the top of the tank was corroded through in multiple places.  I can only surmise that the blue slime was some reaction between fuel and filler that had dropped into the tank?  Dunno.  Anyhow, a new tank, and all was good again.

Scroll forward a few moons, and the running problem was back.  But this time it was periodically interrupted flow from the LH tank.  Despite intense investigation, the precise cause eluded me.  The plan was to replace the LH tank, but not just then, so I did a bit of creative pipework to get Pete out of trouble.  A while thereafter, Gerald had the car, and tried himself to figure the problem.  He even scoped the tank but couldn't find a smoking gun.  Pete continued to run on a single tank for a while.

So now it's in for the LH tank.  After removal, first thing I noticed was something rattling around inside.  I cut the swirl pot off and found that the filter had come adrift.  Although the inside of the tank is nigh-on pristine, it contains a fair amount of rusty, fibrous debris.  Maybe that's the culprit, combined with the errant filter.  I shall flush the system and fit a new tank; hopefully that'll be the end of it!

This is becoming a familiar sight.

IMAG0074.jpg

Tank is in pretty good condition.

IMAG0075.jpg

Swirl pot, filter detached!

IMAG0079.jpg

Filter retrieved.

IMAG0077.jpg

Some of the contentsIMAG0082.jpg

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Blue slime sounds very odd! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

It is, subject to a little fettling!  I have pics of the slimy stuff; I'll try and find them.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Found the thread!  And it demonstrates my failing memory.  Read here for the true history...

7 hours ago, Trevsked said:

Thought that car was sold?

Trevor.

It is but was sold with a new tank fitted

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Hopefully now esprit s are worth more a lot of these bodies will be corrected and less of them will be done in the future

• Like 2

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, ian29gte said:

You found bodies in there, too? Blimey!

A couple of candidates spring to mind.

• Gold FFM

They're in cell block 1138, scheduled for termination.

• Gold FFM

No, she's shackled in the shed at the bottom of the garden.  I've just fed her.

The Watford Fritzl! You should keep her like a fine wine in the cellar! No?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The shed sounds just fine! 

Evora NA

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Tank finally in hand.  Just have to source a nice new banjo connection, and tank/cambelt will be finished at the weekend!

At last, a car I can finish.  What could possibly go wrong..?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Pop quiz, methinks.

1.  What is it?

2.  Explain how my post relates.