free hit
counters
Another Brake Disc - Any life left thread... - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Another Brake Disc - Any life left thread...

Just looking over my discs and thinking if they need replacing... they seem to be performing fine, but got quite a few little cracks. Car generally spends most of its time on track so should be expected, just wondering if they need replacing now or if they've still got a few track days ahead of them... 

IMG_6585.thumb.JPG.5cc36cc27f1dc0c5ba043a5ca9e2e0a6.JPGIMG_6586.thumb.JPG.f23ff8cb8c1a25e1548abc8c6a7da7c7.JPGIMG_6587.thumb.JPG.7220039d4928ba5077b9de1238305598.JPG

www.alias23.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although they look fairly superficial, as Arun says, some of them are reaching the edge. Once they get there, they'll start cracking through the thickness of the disc face. I assume you can yet see any cracks at the edge.

If mine were looking like that after say 4 trackdays, I'd be looking into switching to a fully floating bell setup, like @Seriouslylotus has lined up.

So the discs are Performance Friction from memory 343 x 34mm.

Part of the KoBra4 brake system which is pretty epic! That said 12 months on and probably 10 track days later it sounds like time for a new replacement set.

Pads are looking fine. So hopefully won't need to replace those...

Need to get a price for the PF replacements and check if @Seriouslylotus big brake rotors will fit and provide an alternative option.

Sounds like longer cool down laps will help prolong the shelf life going forward once I get a new set...

www.alias23.com

9 minutes ago, alias23 said:

So the discs are Performance Friction from memory 343 x 34mm.

Part of the KoBra4 brake system which is pretty epic! That said 12 months on and probably 10 track days later it sounds like time for a new replacement set.

Pads are looking fine. So hopefully won't need to replace those...

Need to get a price for the PF replacements and check if @Seriouslylotus big brake rotors will fit and provide an alternative option.

Sounds like longer cool down laps will help prolong the shelf life going forward once I get a new set...

Sadly no my disc won't fit those bells.

We use a smaller bell to allow the use of the correct full size front pads. Those discs use a bigger bell that means the narrow rear pad has to be used.

Pretty sure i could get you some replacement PF rotas

Folks... im assuming that I should be safe to just replace my discs here and not have to also fork out for new pads which seem to have some decent thickness left... Is that safe to say? Or should I be replacing new discs with new pads :(

www.alias23.com

Trouble is, the pad may not be flat as they will have shaped with old discs.

they will then transfer that ridged shape to the new discs.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Pads aren't metal, so my guess is no. It's that crack in the first picture which would concern me most. How long are your cooling down laps, I always do at least one full lap where I try not to use the brakes at all.

@alias23 I have the very same brake kit with many track days and they are still perfect. When you are at track do you cold down the brakes before stopping the car??

Edited by Dani

And regarding the pads: keep them as spares and don't forget to take them with you to track days and trips to Alps. Sometimes it happens that you use more pads than expected and having spares with you is worth a lot.

Edited by SamoL