free hit
counters
Leather treatment - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Dan E

Leather treatment

Right Chaps,

what is the best leather "food" to treat my leather, it is in great condition but looks like it needs feeding I don't need to colour it just keep it supple. 

Many thanks 

dan 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Danny, you really need to dump the leather and change it into Teddy Bears - then you don't need to do anything with it - I know I haven't had to do anything for 30 years :thumbup:

I do love your interior as you know from my constant stroking ?

I use Leathertique. Don't know if you can get it over there tho.

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

On the recommendation of a trimmer, I bought Gold Label -Beeswax and lanolin leather hide food. Did and does a fantastic job of keeping my leather in top condition. Easy to use and gives that lovely "satin" finish. 

Cheers

Dean

As Bibs said "Leather conditioner/feed on any car post '88 is a waste of time. Regulations meant the leather has to be sealed so any feed will just sit on a polymer coating waiting to evaporate".

Connolly cream on your woman's saddle :lol:

• Like 1

Some of the products of say Furniture Clinic are meant to be used on leather, which was sealed when it was originally dyed.

I too, bought a can of Connolly leather hide food, and I don't use it any more, as it darkens the leather a fair bit. Weather one likes that or not, is another matter and a personal preference.

Just sayin'.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

11 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

Connolly cream on your woman's saddle :lol:

I spent a good half hour gently massaging it into her saddle.

What a ride!

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

12 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

As Bibs said "Leather conditioner/feed on any car post '88 is a waste of time. Regulations meant the leather has to be sealed so any feed will just sit on a polymer coating waiting to evaporate".

I would disagree,

My 96 V8 had very little use in 4 years prior to my purchase, the leather had become quite stiff or dry and was squeaky. 

I didn't know the leather was sealed, so I have used Autoglym leather cleaner and copious amounts of leather care, which definitely soaked in. The leather is now soft and supple, and the squeaks have all but gone. 

I'm not sure if the Autoglym products are a leather feed, but I was extremely pleased with the results, sealed or not.

That's what I use now on my Esprit. Also surface sealed leather. The Connolly stuff is just staying on the shelf together with some Mcguire stuff that is absolute cr.p.

The Autoglym works very well. Have many of their products now. And they are not packed in flashy blinking spaceship bottles. Just plain White Square bottles which makes no noise about theemselves, but instead let the products speak for themselves. Can recommend.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 2

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)