free hit
counters
Cleaning the Engine Bay - Detailing - Sponsored by ValetPro - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mark248am

Cleaning the Engine Bay

I just got my car a few days ago and was wondering, how do you guys clean the engine? We get a lot of dust over here and my engine at the moment is pretty dusty which isnt that pretty when looking through the rear hatch. Do you guys pressure wash the engine? Blow pressurized air? What are my options?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Personally, i'd avoid it. It's very easy to flake off the silver PAINT on the lotus decals. Been there, done that. 

If it is just dust I would start with pressurised air  and try to blow it all out, and use some dry detailing brushes. If that cleans it then use something like Aerospace 303 protectant spray as this will make it look nice and clean and then repel dirt and dust.

If it is really dirty then you could pressure was, but be careful to cover up electrical parts. You could try a bucket and some brushes before the jet wash.

I use compressed air and a small detailing brush on mine. This is how it looks after last weeks clean, ready for the new season.

image.thumb.jpeg.a9a1a3077853472c01781b8c2034d57c.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks so pretty. I'm trying to remember if I have carbon fiber in mine though, I didn't notice it.

Thanks. Carbon fibre engine covers aren't standard I'm afraid. I did those to replace the standard rough plastic finish last year. Makes them easier to clean and, well they just look so much better IMHO. :) 

Sure does look better, if you made these you should probably make more and sell them, i'd buy a set.

Those carbon covers look great spinney isn't there a thread somewhere on how you did it ?

Certainly don't look dipped to he. Looks like real twill. The Komotec ones or home-covered, Brent?

Home laminated with genuine carbon twill. There was a thread on it last year, which I can't find now, where I showed the results of a couple of weekends graft. Very pleased with how they turned out and does look much better than dipping in my opinion. 

I wasn't too sure how well they would last when hot, but several hot runs since, including a blast across France and Belgium with a Spa trackday at the end of it, they are just fine. 

Edited by Spinney

I like using Autoglym vinyl and rubber spray after cleaning the engine bay.

Edited by landre32

last night tried cleaning the dust on the plastic cover thats located near the cockpit window and now i have like microfiber like stuck to that plastic. i should just get a carbon cover for that and make my life easier.