free hit
counters
4x4 elite project - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mikeeech

4x4 elite project

I found this buried in an ebay ad... check out the last photo and the last line of the description text.

any one for a 4x4 project elite...?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raneg-Rover-Classic-2-door-1986-diesel-and-Lotus-V8-project-/311837914750?hash=item489afcf67e:g:VnsAAOSwA29Y37SL

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A 4x4 Elite (or Eclat/Excel) would be a nice project, I've thought about this as well. The wheelbases is pretty close, 97.5" vs 100" for the Range Rover. And plenty of examples of refitted Rover V8s. You would need to keep a very close eye on overall proportions, or you would end up with something that looks like a bodyshell sitting on top of a chassis, instead of an integrated car. Getting enough clearance in the wheelwells to allow good suspension travel even with big(ish) offroad tyres wouldn't be easy either.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

In my opinion a waste of two otherwise collectable vehicles. Land Rover 4wd is too heavy and agricultural for a sports vehicle. Something like the Ford 4wd off the Sierra would be more appropriate.

Richard

ABSOLUTELY BONKERs !!! , love it . I would love to see that completed . It would be basically good for [email protected]@k all as a vehicle , not one thing , but not the other !! . But as a curiosity , engineering challenge and a chap trying to build his twisted fantasy vehicle , I think stuff like this is Brilliant .

Éclat van , speedboat anyone ?

Lee,

We should have a chat - with the zero value applied to Elite/Éclat bodies, I've been stretching the old grey cells to think of alternative uses. One was a speedboat hull and the other, a kid's bed pod - how cool would that be - going to bed through the hatch back window of the Elite.

My son loves R.E.D (the movie) and want's to create an underground man cave accessed through the car (like John Malkovitch!)

Bonkers and I love it!!!

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Hmm, not too sure about this particular build...

@rjwooll there are some nice and usable examples out there. IIRC some competed in comp safaris and were quite successful.

StrangeRover1.jpg

163801.jpg

fs_os2best_pic.jpg

The P5 looks best, almost factory build (like an Audi allroad or Volvo crosscountry), but the TR7-bodied Strange Rover would be my choice!

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

42 minutes ago, biggee said:

ABSOLUTELY BONKERs !!! , love it . I would love to see that completed . It would be basically good for [email protected]@k all as a vehicle , not one thing , but not the other !! . But as a curiosity , engineering challenge and a chap trying to build his twisted fantasy vehicle , I think stuff like this is Brilliant .

Éclat van , speedboat anyone ?

I agree. I actually think it's been done quite well with the range rover bumpers integrated into the style although i'm not sure I would know what to do with the grill. Personally I would love it and if I had somewhere to keep it then I probably would have it...

At least it's white (I think)

There's a part of me that doesn't mind this either.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.