free hit
counters
Fast n' Loud, the LS1 and all things American - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Fast n' Loud, the LS1 and all things American

Avid watcher of FnL although not a huge fan of Kaufman, talented as he is, I just can't get over that pickle stabber tooth, stoodpid beard and the fact that he'd never seen an engine with valve shims before clapping his eyes on the Ferrari F50 they worked on (shudder).

And that last point brings me to my question........ what is it with the LS series of engines which makes them so great?...... I get that they're cheap and tunable, but the tech is ancient!! I understand their appeal to hot rodders, as single cam V8's have historic ties to the genre..... but why do people insist on swapping out far more advanced engines for that old donkey?

Enlighten me oh wise ones, or feel my wrath.......... 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the bearded wonder has left Gas Monkey if you were not aware, maybe Ed China and Arron are going into business after leaving their respective shows lol

http://www.gasmonkeygarage.com/yes-aaron-the-bearded-wonder-is-leaving-gas-monkey-garage/

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

• Gold FFM

Daniel, I understand where your coming from! I've also wondered why people insist on fitting an LS to any car they can get their hands on. I've had a Range Rover based offroad racer with an LS2 from a GTO. Sure, it was powerful, but that was mainly due to replacing a 3.5l with a 6.0l. And I guess it was cheaper to fit an LS from a wreck then build a tuned Rover V8. But in general I wasn't impressed. Spares maybe plentiful in the USA, but proved hard to find in Europe. Limited experience available made it sometimes hard to work on it as well. If I where to fit a V8 (other than the Rover V8 I know and love), I'd look at Ford for a cheap solution, and Aston Martin (the old Tadek Marek 5.3l/6.3l) or Merc/AMG for something exclusive. The Lexus V8 seems popular with many, but that doesn't make my heart beat any faster either. Maybe I'm just difficult. :)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I rebuilt a Rover V8 from a RR P38 and was amazed how simple the tech was compared to when I stripped down the engine from my old Sport 350.

That old Lotus V8 lump was a pretty decent bit of kit.

I've seen that Kaufman has left Gas Monkey....... currently seen replacing the engine in an E36 M3 with a....... yep..... you guessed it........

Kaufman does some cracking one liners...... my fave "oh good, it's on leaf springs.... I was worried it was on coils"....... 'kin neanderthal....