free hit
counters
What would you do? - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

What would you do?

Besides my '85, I have a non-running '86. The tranny is removed/sold, the engine is for sale (Any takers? Any suggestions on "the going rate"? Located in Indiana, USA) I prefer (blasphemy!) an automatic tranny on this one. I'm leaning towards the GM 3800 supercharged engine and tranny set-up, probably complete with dash and accompanying computer bits, but I'm open to suggestions, and definitely NOT in a hurry - likely to start wrenching fall 2008. Any comments?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been toying with this idea for a while now... the VW Passat has either a 1.8 litre turbo with an auto or a 3.2 litre VR6 with an auto also... and it's a longditudinally setup!!! Shouldn't be too hard to find a wrecked passat... and the VW engines go forever. The 1.8t can be chipped to 212hp and 220 ft lbs of torque. and the VR6 has been boosted before but N/A trim gives it 220 or 240hp... can't remember.

Or even... now here's an idea... a diesel lotus!!! you can get 175hp and 240 ft/lbs of torque out of the 1.9 litre and probably 200hp and 280 ft/lbs out of the 2.0 litre.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Stop nicking my ideas dude!!!!

Been thinking about making a diesel lotus for a while now.....

V6 Audi unit.... :rolleyes:

Be my next little proect... a daily commute economical and reliable G car... Have to buy a wreck though cause I couldnt do it to a decent example, that would be just so wrong!!!!!

Simon

Chunky Lover

Jon,

Isn't the 3800 setup transverse? It might be easier to stick with a longitudinal setup. Look into the automatic transaxles from Porsche 944s and 928s. The 944's is an Audi unit and has a bellhousing to mate directly longintudinally to an engine. Not sure about the 928's, but it can handle any HP/Torque you throw at it. All are undesirable because they are automatics, and therefore cheap.

As for motive power, I'd look at the engines that can naturally mate to those transaxles -- Porsche, Audi, ? Cheap (due to age, supply/demand) and bullet proof reliable.

Regarding your 9XX engine, I don't know what the going rate is, but if you want a quick and easy sale and don't want too much for it, I wouldn't mind adding it to my collection. PM me.

BTW, where in Indiana are you?

Cheers,

Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

yeah... the 3800 is a transverse mount... Cadillac had a longdituninal mount of something... can't remember what... The porsche 924 and 928's won't work though i don't think.... because they are rear mounted transaxles that have a torque tube going to them from the engine... so the bellhousing isn't attached to the tranny. An old 914 might work though... I can't remember if it's rear or mid engine though...

I do like the idea of the 3800, but it's the mounting problem. The 3800 was probably the best v6 they ever made... I think all the old-school audi's are longditudinal.... there's a 2.2 turbo in the s6 and probably the a6 that's pretty damn sweet.... Unfortunately it's a 4Motion... hmmm... VW is really gonna be a good bet... reliable and cheap to find.... Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2.2 audi turbo bolts right up to a VW tranny....

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Yes, I've tossed around the diesel idea, especially because I have a contact making E85 biodiesel here in corn country. And I've considered full electric, but so far that's cost prohibitive (seen the new Tesla? $100K!) Hybrid is too complicated. And since I already have a "real" Lotus, I was thinking one for stoplight drag racing (not many winding roads around here anyway). Yes, the 3800 (nick-named Iron Duke) is transverse, and no, I don't know what tranny. Don't even know hp/torque w/ supercharger. Figured on buying a t-boned or rear-ended wreck - Buick offered a few models, Pontiac had a couple. Then go nuts with the torch! But for now it's all talk. We call it "dream building." But I value the diversity of opinion. Didn't even know Rover's V8 was a Buick until Andy told me. I have much to learn before making any final decisions.

BTW I've had a bad experience with a 1987 Porsche 944S - apparently I got a "rare" POS, but I'm queered to the marque.

Edited by OPW 654W

Mark -- the 944's trans has a bellhousing and mounts directly to an Audi engine, despite being placed at the rear of the 944. It is the same layout as the Esprit's transaxle. It must have been used in a front-drive, longitudinal Audi.

Jon -- the "S" is the only really weak link in the 924-944-968 family. Did the chain tensioner on yours fail?

Well, either way, the automatic transaxle is Audi! And I suppose it would then mate with a VW engine? Or do VW/Audi have better longitudinal transaxles available?

One more thing: the "Iron Duke" is GM's 2.5 pushrod 4-cylinder used in many cars in the 70s-80s. :rolleyes:

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Here's another quirky suggestion: How about a turbocharged Subaru boxer engine mated to one of their automatics?

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

That's a really good idea (subaru) Those engines are used in ultralights!! They go forever! SVX suby has a 6 cylinder boxer!... As for the 944... my experience was with the 924... and i didn't recall a bellhousing per-se... The 5 speed transmission in the 1979 was a porsche transaxle but every other year of 924 was audi/vw. None of those transaxles would be worth it as I have literally blown 2 of the audi/vw tranny's in half (spit the gears right out the back of them) The 944 had some pretty major water pump/timing issues. Maintenance was essential!

As I recall, the passat transmission was fairly strong, but the 4motion system wasn't... So, I would imagine it should hold at least 300hp.

I would think that the subaru system would be the ultimate way to go with the svx engine!! That would be a rocket ship and i'm sure there's somebody in the suby community that has boosted one! You can even buy full JDM front clips with ecu, harness, tranny etc.. for under $4000 to my knowledge.. Turbocharged suby engines rock!... Man.. I really like that idea...

The concern I would have with the 3800 is actually it's weight... it's a domestic block... therefore weight savings are not a concern. I've never pulled one... but i've pulled other domestics... they weigh a tonne! Check into that... don't want to mess up your weight bias...

Another swap that I thought of was a Nissan vq35... As I recall it weighs something like 20 lbs more than the 907. And its a 3.5 litre V6!!! Only problem is bellhousing adapter again... so... Passat Transmission (or Subaru front wheel drive) and 3.5 litre VQ35DE.... 300hp N/A.... very nice

Yes, I've tossed around the diesel idea, especially because I have a contact making E85 biodiesel here in corn country.

E85 and bio-diesel are two totally different animals

fwiw-

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

Here's another quirky suggestion: How about a turbocharged Subaru boxer engine mated to one of their automatics?

I am not sure it would fit in the Esprit chassis, it is relatively narrow low down, my Audi V8 only just fits and all the wide bits are high up.

Not having measured a Subaru boxer engine I can't be sure.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

I am not sure it would fit in the Esprit chassis, it is relatively narrow low down, my Audi V8 only just fits and all the wide bits are high up.

Not having measured a Subaru boxer engine I can't be sure.

Hilly

I think you're right... they are VERY wide... but any VW motor is quite thin (W8 or VR6 or TDI or 1.8T)

we have had discussions on putting a diesel engine in a lotus, the power is there, but we came to the conclusion, it wouldn't be right in a Esprit , so we settled for a Excel or elite instead. keep the purity of the esprit for power, not diesel clatter.

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

hehe... i have to agree... a tdi lotus would be "tacky" at best... yet almost Neo-modern from a creative point of view.... I do however really think the W8 would Kick serious butt.. but I haven't looked into the weight of it yet.

hehe... i have to agree... a tdi lotus would be "tacky" at best... yet almost Neo-modern from a creative point of view.... I do however really think the W8 would Kick serious butt.. but I haven't looked into the weight of it yet.

Again, probably too wide to fit.

It has the W configuration to reduce the length for in-line front drive applications (to reduce front over hang and hence weight distribution), it is certainly shorter than a standard V8.

However to achieve this the upper block and cylinder heads are wider. When I looked into them for my project the other big problem is the size of the sump, it is simply massive and wouldn't go into the chassis engine cradle without serious work.

Shame as it is an interesting engine.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

I've pretty much come to the same conclusion.. the biggest issue is that there is no VW tranny to bolt up that isn't 4WD... a 2.8 VR6 turbo might be good though... and you can get a FWD tranny for that... but I still haven't finished the preliminary research on that.

But there are diesels and DIESELS....

How about one of those nice big GM Duramax diesels?

6.6litres, 360hp at 3200rpm, 650lb-ft of torque at 1600rpm.

If you could find a gearbox that could take the punishment, you'd have a first-class stoplight drag racer.

Ben