free hit
counters
Disc/pad suggestions? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Car has been on the road all winter, but yesterday was the first opportunity this year for a warm & dry run to push the the grip levels a bit. A few dry days earlier in the year, but MPSS can't find any decent grip when it is cold.

Slight tingle from the back end under braking. Nothing horrific, but enough to notice (and therefore to annoy :) )

Will try a clean-up routine first, but I'll need new discs & pads at some time, so - where is good to buy from? Not looking for an upgrade or harder track-oriented pads : OEM level is fine.

Edited by mik

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got Yellowstuff pads on mine. Held up well on the track the other day and totally fine on the road with no squeaking or anything. Silverstone recommended them. If you got the money then Pagid RS's at top quality product at twice the price (they do last longer I think)

Edited by bosshog

I've got a set of discs and pads from Seriously Lotus that will be going on shortly.

The discs are from Blue Print, and the pads are Ferodo 2500 which should be about as close as you can get to the OE setup.  The EliseShop discs & pads should also be very similar.

I figured that as the Evora is not my main track car there was no point in going for anything more aggressive.

They'll be fitted in the next week or two, so can't really give any first hand feedback on them yet.

Edited by nigelh

Replaced my pads with Ds2500 from Demon Tweaks for about £180 for all corners. Unless you are doing loads of trackways, I don't see it being worth upgrading from these. You can stand on them pretty hard on a track session and they are really pretty good. Track biassed pads will be compromised for the road.

Elise shop discs are great, better than the original in my opinion as the centre is painted they don't look rusty and cheap!

The original Lotus pads have an anti rattle backing that is not on any of the replacement pads, I also think the originals come with new spring clips as they can get weak.

The caliper pins are a bugger to remove, so worth getting some new ones as the originals may get damaged during removal

• 4 weeks later...

So my discs/pads from Seriously Lotus have been on for a couple of weeks now - fitted by someone local while they had the wheels off for refurbing.

On the road they are pretty much indistinguishable from the OE combinations - won't be used on track 'till my August Euro trip, but don't expect any surprises.

Couple of tips if you let someone else fit them for you:

1) Don't try to adjust the number of clicks on the handbrake using the adjuster through the hole in the rear disc - you'll just make the parking brake pads rub and overheat.  Use the separate cable adjuster.

2) The arrows on the anti-rattle springs should point in the direction of the disc rotation - up on the front calipers, down on the rear.  If you fit them pointing up on the rears you get a lovely persistent rattle.

(both the above are covered in the service notes) :angry:

Oh dear :(, did you have to sort it yourself?

Not 100% certain yet but hopefully see you at Ledenon:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on the Seriously Lotus setup after another couple of weeks...

Having corrected the spring orientation there is zero rattle from the Ferodo pads.

90-95% of the time the brakes are completely silent, but I have noticed an occasional light 'whistle' from them - it's barely noticeable and nothing like the 'squeal' that I get on the Elise from more aggressive pads.  I don't recall ever noticing this with the OE pads though, so worth mentioning for anyone that is particularly sensitive to this kind of thing.

Thank you. Some pretty hard requests of the brakes today and when very hot I had some slight judder. Will need to address this in the not too distant....

• 2 months later...

I've been using my Evora on track more than I thought I would. Partly because my VX needs fixing but also because it's absolutely brilliant! I've been using standard discs/pads but they're not holding up too well. I've killed a set of discs/pads in a few trackdays. So, I'm looking for something a bit more resilient. I'm thinking of CL RC6 pads but I'm a bit stumped on alternative discs without spending mega bucks. Ideally I'd like a grooved set of standard/Elise-shop discs. In my experience, drilled discs cause more problems than they're worth.

@Bruss - what do you use?

Any recommendations appreciated. 

I'm using "Performance Friction 08" from Elise Shop. A bit squeaky from time to time but great on the track. Haven't found any groved, non-drilled discs. So I keep an eye on them for any visible cracks. Will soon have to replace the discs so looking for alternatives.

Another vote for PF08 - bite and modulation far better than OEM although do you have to cope with a little squeal.  Bought mine from AS Performance in Durham for less than Elise Shop prices.

I have a nearly new set of PF08 front pads if anyone is interested.  I had them fitted to my road car for a few hundred miles but I removed them due to the squeal.  There is loads of meat still left on them and they would be ideal for track day use or for anyone looking for a cheap set of high performance road pads.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Glen.

Foxy

I'm using the ds2500's. I tried the cl6's but in all honesty they were too harsh and I didn't find them progressive in the same way ds 2500's are.  I may get around to trying 3500's for track but I drive the Evora like Miss Daisy as it's my road car, even when on track. Standard discs have been fine but I have had them replaced for wear at around 8000 miles.