free hit
counters
380 - where do the additional Bhp come from - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

380 - where do the additional Bhp come from

Hi all,

maybe I missed that in the one or the other thread, but I'm wondering if anybody knows, wahta Lotus changed to get some more torque and Bhp into the 380.

is it just the change exhaus and a different map, or did they also changed something else (intake, pressure on the compressor).

Is that something which can be retrofitted?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The torque is 302lbs/ft so no problem with the gearbox. The most likely problem is as  Stu mentioned, with a smaller pulley the supercharger is spinning faster so overcranking at 6800rpm, 7200rpm woul

Quite possibly Stu, the most plausible explanation yet. Another reason they should have switched to the 1900cc blower as an interim upgrade before going chargecooled.

Would cost a small fortune from lotus!!! Buy the SSC kit, get more power for less money

Posted Images

Komotec have already had a '390' kit out for some time which offers something similar although I don't believe they uprate the fuel pump.

Crazy of Lotus not to take people's money and hand all the uprating to Komotec but there you go.

What with the reduced rev limit and lack of anything to cool the inlet temps on the 380, I'd still like to see a chargecooled Exige sooner rather than later.

That 410 engine would be immense in an Exige and 460bhp is just a remap away....

• Like 1

Lotus offered the upgrade kits for the S2 Exige didn't they and I don't think it was too exorbitantly priced. 

Yes it is interesting that lotus feels the need to upgrade the fuel pump but all the tuners don't. 

Do you mean the the upgrade from 192 to 220 bhp? So basically for the for the 380, you "just" need the pully and the exhaust. However, didn't somebody zried to get the Evora exhaust under the V6 and said that does not work out? So it seems it would not be that easy... 

The other interesting point is the fuel pump, I understood even on the Komotec 460 there is still the same fuel pump. So only God or Lotus knows, why they need another pump!

They did 220 to 260 kits aswell if I remember correctly. So similar vane to what we would want now. I already have a  2bular exhaust so would only want the pulley and the map. I suppose I could just get Essex autosport to do me a live map with smaller pulley, would probably cost more that way though and a lotus upgrade kit would be much better for resale I think. 

Maybe they just switched fuel pump suppliers ha ha 

8 minutes ago, RedViper said:

Maybe they just switched fuel pump suppliers ha ha 

That is what i thought as well :-)

So they did basically the same what KT does with the 410 kit except the fuel pump. 

I think the 5k from KT is a reasonable price compared what you have to pay for an upgrade from V6 to 380.

For the difference you can get quite some other upgrades and pay still less.....

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Exige orange said:

That is what i thought as well :-)

So they did basically the same what KT does with the 410 kit except the fuel pump. 

I think the 5k from KT is a reasonable price compared what you have to pay for an upgrade from V6 to 380.

For the difference you can get quite some other upgrades and pay still less.....

KT change the manifolds whereas 380 still has stock Toyota ones and stock cars just a different back box. The KT is definitely the better solution. 

For the great many people that already have an uprated back box though a pulley and map for +30 hp would be a nice mod for not much outlay. Circa £1500 or so? The pulleys arent expensive. 

Edited by RedViper
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, RedViper said:

KT change the manifolds whereas 380 still has stock Toyota ones and stock cars just a different back box. The KT is definitely the better solution. 

For the great many people that already have an uprated back box though a pulley and map for +30 hp would be a nice mod for not much outlay. Circa £1500 or so? The pulleys arent expensive. 

But technically no longer meets type approval

Using an uprated fuel pump is a more thorough job than the Komotec approach in my opinion. I find it hard to see how Komotec could make 430bhp without one. Does the 460 kit have one? It's one of the first things you uprate when tuning a Mitsubishi Evo.

I'm going to fit my wonderful 2ubular back box to my 380 when it arrives. According to Jim he will do something with the intermediate pipe. He actually mentioned the problem of fitting an Evora exhaust to a V6 due to size differences and also mentioned performance gains, but I need to go over that again. 

Cheers

Mark

Also interesting to look at the torque figures, the 380 does not offer much of an improvement here. This combined with a reduced rev limit makes the upgrades from SSC or Komotec much more attractive options if you are looking for power AND TORQUE.

350 Sport - 295 lbft at 4500 rpm (400 Nm)

380 Sport - 302 lbft at 5,000 rpm (410 Nm)

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

Also interesting to look at the torque figures, the 380 does not offer much of an improvement here. This combined with a reduced rev limit makes the upgrades from SSC or Komotec much more attractive options if you are looking for power AND TORQUE.

True. The engine of the 380 with his rev limit which come down so much just looks like marketing. That's my experience. Let's hope it is a "fault" or "mistake" in the mapping of my 380. But figure wise it doesn't perform better as a 360 cup, even with the less weight the 380 brings in.  

once again, it would be interesting to have a 380 dynoed, to see how many poneys are really there ... and then complete my topic on MEASURED outputs on our cars :P : 

few months after, I can say I'm really pleased with my EX370 upgrade ... car is definitely faster and revs with a lot more anger ! it's a pleasure to overtake and push the engine to the rev limit... and though,  I was quite dubious about those upgrades before :ph34r: ! and since the backbox was run in, it makes a lovely sound, coupled to the CAI vaccum on blips ...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 550superfast said:

302 lbft is identical to the Evora 400 torque. Lotus deliberately limit it to protect the gearbox. Whether this is good or bad depends on your perspective, which is why it's great that the Komotec or SSC options are out there for those happy with the risk.

Do Lotus reduce the rev limit on the 380 to restrict the torque? I think the Evora 400 Auto has a 6600 limit to protect the auto box.

Did I miss something.... the 380 doesn't rev as high as older cars? what is the limiter at in the 380?

I sometimes wonder where lotus would be if they had paired with Honda as their engine partner instead of Toyota... the S2s would have been a better car with the Type R engine in as many people can confirm and the new 2.0T engine with 310 bhp is surely a lot lighter then the 3.5 lump

Edited by RedViper
11 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

I'm going to fit my wonderful 2ubular back box to my 380 when it arrives. According to Jim he will do something with the intermediate pipe. He actually mentioned the problem of fitting an Evora exhaust to a V6 due to size differences and also mentioned performance gains, but I need to go over that again. 

Cheers

Mark

I'd give the standard exhaust a go before switching Mark.  I think it sounds fantastic.  It's also quite loud.  But then I've never heard a 2ubular in the metal.  I'd just say that for a standards system, the 380's is about as extreme as I've heard.

The RPM is capped at 6,800 on the Exige Sport 380 to protect both the engine and gearbox. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

19 minutes ago, Neal H said:

I think the Evora 400 Auto has a 6600 limit to protect the auto box.

the Exige IPS is already limited to 6800 rpm, even in Sport mode, for the same reasons ... 

3 hours ago, Bibs said:

The RPM is capped at 6,800 on the Exige Sport 380 to protect both the engine and gearbox. 

So .....

I buy an Exige V6 cup 1 gen, with a rev limit on 7200, shiftlights full at 7000 and has 360 hp (355)

I buy an Exige 380 sport, with a rev limit at 6800, where the shiftlights are full at 6500.

The "380", has it's 375hp at 6800 which in reality you NEVER have as you have to shift at 6500.

So in fact a 380 has no more "engine, hp" as a V6 cup.

Am I wrong if I say if feel a bit ripped of? 

Edited by Jokke Vlo