free hit
counters
rules on double yellow lines - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

rules on double yellow lines

got a ticket yesterday parked in a layby  that the local council had put a double yellow line across (was parked inside the yellow line).several others were also given tickets. There were no signs saying no parking in layby and wondered how enforceable this ticket is(£70 fine reduced to 35 if paid in 7 days)

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A layby you can't park in sounds ridiculous. I'd be having a phone call with the council parking dept if I were you. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Did you park in the speed enforcement vans layby.....

id be challenging that one really hard - double yellows are for highways - a layby I'm sure needs the yellows inside it I believe if that's to be enforceable 

Only here once

The double yellow lines cover from the centre line to the edge of the road "land" which is sometimes fenced, sometimes hedgerow and sometimes a building line.  It includes kerbs, pavements and grass verges.  Unless a layby is mark as a layby or "parking"  then the yellow lines means that you're not allowed to stop there.   Its probably worth a letter to dispute, but I think that's what you'll get back.... 

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

8 hours ago, MPx said:

The double yellow lines cover from the centre line to the edge of the road "land" which is sometimes fenced, sometimes hedgerow and sometimes a building line.  It includes kerbs, pavements and grass verges.  Unless a layby is mark as a layby or "parking"  then the yellow lines means that you're not allowed to stop there.   Its probably worth a letter to dispute, but I think that's what you'll get back.... 

The council say it is not an official layby and as above.

• Gold FFM

It's not an official layby and is actually called a "cash machine". I hate the idiots that are responsible for stuff like this. Pictures would be good to confirm though.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Waiting Restrictions

Chapter 20.5 of the Traffic Signs Manual

20.5 If restrictions are imposed in a lay-by, the lines to diagram 1017 or 1018.1 should be laid at the back of the lay-by and not along the continuation of the main carriageway edge. This should leave no room for doubt that restrictions apply in the lay-by.

However 20.3 states

... The restriction imposed by these markings applies from the centre of the road to the highway boundary on the side of the road that the marking is laid (including any lay-bys)

Don't you just love a contradiction? 

Could it now be down to whether that has previously been considered/marked as a lay-by? If the 2 rules above pointed out by ChrisJ are current (and I assume they are), I doubt the council would want to risk going to court over it...but then, neither might you??

Good luck anyway!

They say never was an official layby but is just somewhere cars have parked over the years near an entrance to a public path leading to a public park.The yellow lines were put in over the winter.

They've put double yellow lines there? FFS

Have they also stuck yellow lines on the one 100 yards up the road that is labelled Hatfield Broad Oak mini car park?

So what's the difference? I'd have thought that is National Trust Land and they have built the "layby" specifically for people to park and use their land.

You might want to make a FOI request to the relevant local/district/county council - see here for an example.

edit to add: looks like there must be an accompanying TRO