free hit
counters
Axle stand positions on rear suspension - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Axle stand positions on rear suspension

Hi all,

so started working on my first service today. Did oil and filter change first, rear of car jacket up to access sump plug and access oil filter from underneath. All good. Job done. Whilst the car was up I was unsure where, under the lower link stud / hub carrier / shock, was best to place the axle stands when taking the jack off. I never actually dropped the jack down, just had the axle stands there for safety. So is there a "best place" along the assy to place the axle stands? Under the shock? Under the link arm? Under the hub carrier casting? There are a few places along the lower link stud where the stands could go. 

Any advice on best position appretiated.

see pics below

cheers

DeanIMG_2745.thumb.JPG.cc48cf5f127d5260dbdfc5fd6ceee8e3.JPGIMG_2746.thumb.JPG.bd25cfe5eff42e1be94c16ad5a230f56.JPG

IMG_2030.thumb.PNG.6941f222b90c2dc8224d6fc0ee2c8885.PNGSome more pics of the link arm stud and potential stand positions

IMG_2029.thumb.PNG.899c144986257e00b51e01c9917c2c1e.PNG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Under the uprights, the hub carrier casting, works for me. Or the chassis tube joints at the front of the engine bay.... 

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

The only other images I've seen online show partially on the link arm, and partially on the fwd boss of the casting.

So the consensus is "anywhere along the assy". Logic says the middle, so I"m going to run with under the link arm between the two casting boss features.

thanks all for replies

Dean

• Gold FFM

I agree with Paul, the block of wood seems wide enough to have a stand either side of the jack.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I have a piece of wood which is as wide as you can fit and the stands go at the ends where the 'U' shaped channel is reinforced.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

9 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

I place them on either end of that piece of wood you have in your photos.

Hey Paul, agreed, that is the alternative. Of course if you were doing suspension work you wouldn't want the stands on the lower link/shock/hub casting area any way.

If all 4 wheels were coming off though, I'd be less inclined to mount on the wood. The beam is only 400mm wide so I'd prefer as wider position for both front and rear as poss!

many thanks again all

Dean

If you're doing suspension work I start by jacking using that piece of wood and then put an axle stand at either end. Then remove the jack and move to the area of the chassis just in front of the engine and place a large flat piece of wood and start jacking there until it comes off the back stands and then move the stands further forward to the ends of the wood. Obviously chock the front wheels first...

100_9473.JPG

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire