free hit
counters
Under front spoiler 'splitter' - S4s - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Stimpy

Under front spoiler 'splitter' - S4s

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone - long time etc etc - life has been awkward but back in gear now so to speak.

 

steve williams - the chap in maidenhead  - sorted a load of issues on the S4s very recently .

one of the things he did was to get rid of worn paint  and cracks and stuff.

 

I had bought a rubber lower front lip spoiler off ebay which listed the S4s as being compatible - trouble is it would not fit - basically the corners were tough - too tough to make a good connection around the swcorners so we shelved the idea as it looked better with no lip that the one I bought .  I think it looks ok without but others say they can see a 'difference' despite the minor change but they're 'right' in respect to originality .

 

Apparently  the sport 300 used a rubber version of the 'underspoiler' .

 

So my question is - has anyone else used an aftermarket front lip  /  spoiler thing made from plastic or plastic-like material

 

any help with this matter would be v grateful 

 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Stimpy! You're alive!

I recall someone saying they fitted a spoiler called "Rhino lip" to their V8 - It didn't look half bad and I think it's made of rubber, so give that a try. Otherwise theres an orange lower lip on eBay for stupid money.

How's the S4s running nowadays? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Vanya said:

Stimpy! You're alive!

I recall someone saying they fitted a spoiler called "Rhino lip" to their V8 - It didn't look half bad and I think it's made of rubber, so give that a try. Otherwise theres an orange lower lip on eBay for stupid money.

How's the S4s running nowadays? 

I installed a rubber lip on my SE to protect the fibre  glass and replace the cracked black hard plastic one that had been installed when I bought the car. The link to the company that sold it is no longer active, but looking at Rhino Lip, it's very similar.  It came as an 8 + foot length of creased rubber with holes about every 3-4 inches for fitting.   I drilled holes into the lower fiber glass lip and used nuts and bolts with anti-vibration lock washers to attach it solidly. Attached picture shows the result.  It looks good, has been very reliable, and is cheap enough to change if it gets really scuffed up.  Mine's survived some scrapes and looks as good as new.

Trevor

 

IMG_20160917_093418.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had ordered a similar rubber lip for my previous SE, but never got round to installing it. I should look into that again, it does make the front look a lot cleaner. Having the holes predrilled in the rubber would be a big advantage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the one I got was designed  for a Scion (Toyota sub-brand, here in the US), so It might be possible to source it from Toyota.  I used 6mm cheesehead screws and washers plus Nyloc nuts to install it.  Very solid!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The splitter on my S4 is cracked - again. Already repaired it once, but now I have it off again and planning to pull a mold off it and fabricate replacement splitters to keep in stock as I scrape it. I'll post later as I make progress on this plan.

would be nice to have a very flexible plastic (rubber?) replacement, but it seems those get scraped and cracked as easily as a fiberglass or cf part. I've been molding a few cf parts lately for my race car have plenty lying about I can use, so I'll see how this goes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey - that'll be good.

Consider me a possible customer if you do decide to sell copies.

I suspect the postage might be as much as the item though!

Why is it that no-one has come u with that idea here in the UK ?  (I'm making a massive assumption, there)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yep.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

ps: I installed a rubberlip from an SE two years newer than mine on my 1990 SE. Looks like the White one above and Works well. Have the holes in it too.

And I installed it with the original plastic fittings, as they are designed to break, rather than the front bumper.... ;)

 

99999.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! If Stimpy doesn't want it I could be interested depending on condition, price and shipping price ^^

@Jacques > Thanks! (and nice car and photo!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10 May 2017 at 15:00, Jacques said:

yep.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

ps: I installed a rubberlip from an SE two years newer than mine on my 1990 SE. Looks like the White one above and Works well. Have the holes in it too.

And I installed it with the original plastic fittings, as they are designed to break, rather than the front bumper.... ;)

 

99999.JPG

that looks gerat

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i received delivery of a 'rhino lip - via international mail from the USA this week.  It looks like quality 

 

There's a load of literature with it and pictures of Lotus cars where they claim to have faithfully built a very comparable copy.

Time will tell re:how good it looks - I'll be giving it to better hands than myself.  They even enclosed a brand new whole punch  still in its package

maybe i should have a go at fitting it- does anyone have any horror stories?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erh no. No horror stories. Easy to fit. Take your time and measure it up left to right so that it fits.

Stimpy and Giniw: thanks Guys ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jacques - I may well take heed of your advice

thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10 May 2017 at 11:52, Giniw said:

@Beinmymirror > Hello (and welcome!), where/Who is Claudius ? I need one splitter too.

edit: I guess it's that website http://www.lotuspbc.com ?

It would be nice if they had quoted prices - they look like a fantastic company 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10 May 2017 at 05:13, Beinmymirror said:

Stimpy.  I'll be purchasing a splitter from Lotus by Claudius soon so your welcome to my stock 95 S4s splitter. 

Thats very kind off you but I've got the rubberised one now.  If it looks crap then I may well be back!!!   

Obviously someone else could get in there to buy yours first, but thats my problem if happens it  happens.

[thinks: should have come here before ordering it]

Again, thanks very much for picking up on this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2017 at 22:41, Jphoenix said:

The splitter on my S4 is cracked - again. Already repaired it once, but now I have it off again and planning to pull a mold off it and fabricate replacement splitters to keep in stock as I scrape it. I'll post later as I make progress on this plan.

would be nice to have a very flexible plastic (rubber?) replacement, but it seems those get scraped and cracked as easily as a fiberglass or cf part. I've been molding a few cf parts lately for my race car have plenty lying about I can use, so I'll see how this goes.

Jim,

Have you made any  lower lips, like you have planned?

I'm looking for one for my S4s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2017 at 11:51, tjs98jetta said:

I remember the one I got was designed  for a Scion (Toyota sub-brand, here in the US), so It might be possible to source it from Toyota.  I used 6mm cheesehead screws and washers plus Nyloc nuts to install it.  Very solid!!

@Trevor

Scion lip? How does it fit? Do you have any pictures?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine hits the tarmac every time on the turning into our road. I’d like to just rip it off and replace with a flexi rubber.

anyone given up breaking the lotus ones and opted for this ? If so what rubber profile did you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is the V8 rubber still available from SJS (alternative part number though).

https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ350B0001.htm

@Barrykearley> If you ever sell one your splitters (especially the left side IIRC) I could be interested depending on price and condition. I find the reproduction too expensive for a part that will probably be ripped off sooner or later so I just ordered a V8 rubber lip instead (I do understand that it's not cheap to make a mould, no problem with that, it's just more than I am prepared to pay for that kind of disposable part ^^). PS: that reminds me I need to think about your exhaust :D (although for some reason mine doesn't sound as rattly any more apparently?!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MrDangerUS said:

@Trevor

Scion lip? How does it fit? Do you have any pictures?

There is a picture above in this thread.  It comes as a length you cut to fit and I installed mine as one length, no join in the middle.  As I said above, it has pre-drilled holes every 3-4 inches and I installed it with 6 mm bolts and washers with nyloc nuts.  Easy to fit and takes the abuse, mine often scrapes the ground, but survives reasonably well. It can be polished with fine sandpaper and Armorall.   I have a new set of the glass fiber Ramspott and Brandt front splitters (L+R) for an S4S, but never installed them as, like you, I got fed up with the hard ones cracking.  If you're interested  in those let me know.

Trevor

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, tjs98jetta said:

There is a picture above in this thread.  It comes as a length you cut to fit and I installed mine as one length, no join in the middle.  As I said above, it has pre-drilled holes every 3-4 inches and I installed it with 6 mm bolts and washers with nyloc nuts.  Easy to fit and takes the abuse, mine often scrapes the ground, but survives reasonably well. It can be polished with fine sandpaper and Armorall.   I have a new set of the glass fiber Ramspott and Brandt front splitters (L+R) for an S4S, but never installed them as, like you, I got fed up with the hard ones cracking.  If you're interested  in those let me know.

Trevor

 

Please PM me with some details/pics  [email protected]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...